Fun Talking about Jack White at a Party but not really that fun at all.

Started by ffghtrs, Feb 16, 2013, 08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: midwesterner on Feb 19, 2013, 06:17 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Feb 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
The WS reissues actually make sense to me -- there is a huge market for them, and the original pressings on eBay go for ridiculous amounts. TMR has always said that they'll keep 'em print as long as they're in business, which is cool too. Nice to have the option to buy a copy of De Stijl pressed from the original analog masters for $20 instead of an original pressing (which doesn't even sound that good) for close to $100.

It's the glow-in-the-dark, water-filled, scratch-and-sniff records that I'm not a fan of. I mean, I love the idea that they can create these funny gimmick pressings to drum up publicity, but I just hate that people actually pay thousands for these things. You know what, maybe it's the TMR collectors I have a problem with actually...

I guess I mind because I did have the original pressings of all of the TWS(including GBMS which I paid a lot for) and it kind of pisses me off that Jack basically deflated the value of those records by repressing them. I guess it is cool that now everyone can own a copy but what about the diehard fans that were buying his albums from the start? I just feel like he doesn't take those people into consideration.

My issue with the Glow in the Dark or Bizarre versions is that TMR doesn't always release the pressing info so people are spending crazy a mounts even though there could be 100 to 1000s of them.  I am fairly certain at this point that for the tri colors there are maybe 100 more printed than what they release.

This is my same issue with the vault I would like to know how many of each are pressed. However I have been very happy with the Vaults out put lately. The Gold Dollar show and jack live at TMR are great.  Now it is time for some 2003 TWS release.

I know it sounds like I am complaining a lot and I really am a huge Jack fan and I think that is why I am so critical of him lately.

I'm a big music fan but only started getting vinyl a couple years ago. I'm thankful for any and all reissues that might come because not everyone can shell out a lot of money for original pressings. I buy records to listen to them, so i don't care if something's been devalued by a reissue. Actually i don't even think that's true because look at some of the original pressings of various band's albums, even though there's been a bunch of other reissues the original will still be worth more.  You come off as a huge snob, like if you don't have the original albums when they came out then you don't deserve to have them.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Since I wasn't alive during The Beatles, I shouldn't deserve to have these reissues they came out with. It's not fair to the older fans who have been alive and with them since day one.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 19, 2013, 09:23 PM
The WS reissues actually make sense to me -- there is a huge market for them, and the original pressings on eBay go for ridiculous amounts. TMR has always said that they'll keep 'em print as long as they're in business, which is cool too. Nice to have the option to buy a copy of De Stijl pressed from the original analog masters for $20 instead of an original pressing (which doesn't even sound that good) for close to $100.

It's the glow-in-the-dark, water-filled, scratch-and-sniff records that I'm not a fan of. I mean, I love the idea that they can create these funny gimmick pressings to drum up publicity, but I just hate that people actually pay thousands for these things. You know what, maybe it's the TMR collectors I have a problem with actually...

I guess I mind because I did have the original pressings of all of the TWS(including GBMS which I paid a lot for) and it kind of pisses me off that Jack basically deflated the value of those records by repressing them. I guess it is cool that now everyone can own a copy but what about the diehard fans that were buying his albums from the start? I just feel like he doesn't take those people into consideration.

My issue with the Glow in the Dark or Bizarre versions is that TMR doesn't always release the pressing info so people are spending crazy a mounts even though there could be 100 to 1000s of them.  I am fairly certain at this point that for the tri colors there are maybe 100 more printed than what they release.

This is my same issue with the vault I would like to know how many of each are pressed. However I have been very happy with the Vaults out put lately. The Gold Dollar show and jack live at TMR are great.  Now it is time for some 2003 TWS release.

I know it sounds like I am complaining a lot and I really am a huge Jack fan and I think that is why I am so critical of him lately.

I'm a big music fan but only started getting vinyl a couple years ago. I'm thankful for any and all reissues that might come because not everyone can shell out a lot of money for original pressings. I buy records to listen to them, so i don't care if something's been devalued by a reissue. Actually i don't even think that's true because look at some of the original pressings of various band's albums, even though there's been a bunch of other reissues the original will still be worth more.  You come off as a huge snob, like if you don't have the original albums when they came out then you don't deserve to have them.

I was going to say something to the same effect, but didn't want to sound like an ass. The idea that there should only be 1 pressing and that was for the fans who bought it and the rest are SOL b/c their purchase will lose it's value isn't very rock n' roll, to me. I have heard Jack White say that every album ever pressed should always be available. I agree.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

ffghtrs

Tracy, great words, i still give 75% of the fault to the other people in the original conversation but my vocabulary was definitely not the word/words to be using.

And Midwesterner great point on TMR, the whole ICP thing is still weird in my mind. 

I assume that everyone saw the Conan/Jack White conversation that was 75 minutes long, it was awesome but point is that guy has some serious creativity flowing in him.  I meant no harm in using the word sloppy, i'm the kind of person that like dirty, dive bars and dirty martini's but sloppy was not the best choice in words to describe jack white's playing.  Ball and Biscuit is still one of my favorite tunes, has been for years.

Also strange as this is admitting this on the MMJ forum i was the last on the bandwagon for the White Stripes and MMJ.  Never listened to Elephant with out hearing the annoyance of 7 nation army and the radio play it received until Get Behind Me Satan came out.  That album is so flipping good.  And MMJ I think I heard it at work for the first time so i was only half listening.  That's not an excuse but maybe my excuse is that the music of MMJ is so sophisticated and mind blowingly awesome that i could not grasp it until i heard Dondante off of Z.  Currently though At Dawn has been my jam.  And how about that 17 minute version of Dondante at Red Rocks with that sweet jam near the end.  That song is so cool.

Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 19, 2013, 09:33 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 19, 2013, 09:23 PM

I was going to say something to the same effect, but didn't want to sound like an ass. The idea that there should only be 1 pressing and that was for the fans who bought it and the rest are SOL b/c their purchase will lose it's value isn't very rock n' roll, to me. I have heard Jack White say that every album ever pressed should always be available. I agree.

yup
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ffghtrs

"i was called white trash and a scumbag and when i politely asked them to leave they wouldn't"

Actually, this is the part of your post that I am most concerned with. This is your home? And you just let them stay after they called you names and refused to leave? Are you a sloppy host? Or were you being precisely sloppy?
[/quote]

I would not say that i'm a sloppy host, they just wanted to stay and make the situation worse.  I think the major problem was how the girl in the conversation was completely oblivious to how facetious her boyfriend was becoming.  How awkward the room started to feel for everyone was so very intense.  Even people who call these two individuals close friends were like ummm yeah how much did they drink?  Very Strange.  I think the dude was looking for a fight and I'm not going to give that kind of behavior my attention so I lite up a cigar and sat with good people and rambled about things other then Jack White.  I don't plan on seeing these people any time soon.

On another note, this conversation that shifted to reissues of Vinyl, I personally love them.  I picked up the first two Flaming Lips on vinyl.  Had never heard their first two albums, and i love the hell of them.  Also i've always meant to pick up the Beatles box set but i never seem to have the money when i see a copy on vinyl.  Tax return hopefully will be enough.  But i still want a new guitar or amp.  hmmm decisions. 

On the topic of the Beatles, i propose two questions.  Let it Be or Let It Be Naked?  And Does Rocky Raccoon while listening to it with full intent make you happy, sad or are you indifferent? 
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Jaimoe

Quote from: ffghtrs on Feb 21, 2013, 02:34 AM

On the topic of the Beatles, i propose two questions.  Let it Be or Let It Be Naked?  And Does Rocky Raccoon while listening to it with full intent make you happy, sad or are you indifferent?

Easy: Both. Either/or need not apply.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Angelo