Wonderful vs Golden

Started by Fully, Feb 23, 2013, 02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

I've always considered these two songs to be similar songs. Acoustic, beautiful, simple yet moving - also overplayed. I like both of them, but I would love them more if I heard them less. Which song of the two do you think is the better song? I know the answer, but I want to hear your opinions on them. I'll chime it after some of you have commented. I don't want to influence anyone's opinion by stating what I think first. So what do you think?

johnnYYac

My favorite acoustic tune is Bermuda Highway.  I probably like the other two about the same. Wonderful was a highlight of the underpass set at Forecastle. They have been overplayed.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

robb

Wonderful has been temporarily shit-housed due to bad memories with a former lady friend, and Golden was the song that got me hooked on MMJ. Pretty easy choice for me to say Golden.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

EverythingChanges

Golden, but IWBTWYD is their best acoustic, followed by Bermuda.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

JaneCool

Golden for me, though Wonderful is a very beautiful song as well.
So, I do believe.....

TheThird

This is actually a pretty tough call for me. On one hand, the group singalong to Wonderful under the overpass at Forecastle gave me chills and still does when I think about it. Also, I absolutely love lyrics at the end:

With the sun on my shoulder
And the wind in my back
I will never grow older
At least not in my mind

I'm going where there ain't no fear
I'm going where the spirit is near
I'm going where the living is easy
And the people are kind
A new state of mind

I'm going where there ain't no police
I'm going where there ain't no disease
I'm going where there ain't no need
To escape from what is
Only spirits at ease

But on the other hand, the way Jim sings on Golden is beautiful, as is the guitar work. So for that reason, I think it probably gets the slight edge over Wonderful.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

buymycar

I'll take the Wonderful arrangement from the Christmas iTunes Session over the Circuital arrangement all day every day.  The iTunes arrangement might be worthy of going up against Golden.

Fully

Quote from: TheThird on Feb 24, 2013, 02:00 AM
This is actually a pretty tough call for me. On one hand, the group singalong to Wonderful under the overpass at Forecastle gave me chills and still does when I think about it. Also, I absolutely love lyrics at the end:

With the sun on my shoulder
And the wind in my back
I will never grow older
At least not in my mind

I'm going where there ain't no fear
I'm going where the spirit is near
I'm going where the living is easy
And the people are kind
A new state of mind

I'm going where there ain't no police
I'm going where there ain't no disease
I'm going where there ain't no need
To escape from what is
Only spirits at ease

But on the other hand, the way Jim sings on Golden is beautiful, as is the guitar work. So for that reason, I think it probably gets the slight edge over Wonderful.

I like those lyrics at the end of Wonderful too, probably more than I like the lyrics at the start of the song. Golden is my favorite of them. There are other acoustic songs I like to listen to more, as some of you have stated, but Golden is a beautiful song. The best video for it is the clip from the 2004 Bonnaroo movie that plays with all the slow motion footage. I'll look for it in a minute and post it.

http://youtu.be/-p6SoAbhem4

weeniebeenie

Wonderful has some of the nicest lyrics but I have to pick Golden, it was my dads favourite MMJ song.
How loud can silence get?

sweatboard

yeah, this is a really tough call.  I think Wonderful has such a beautiful sentiment, but the lyrics in Golden are tough to rival...I Say Golden
There's Still Time.........

zanjam

I love how Beth "knows the answer"!!  Of course you do!!
anything + reverb always = better

LeanneP

Golden was written by a young man; by someone who was really just beginning to come of age and understand the long game of the life he'd chosen. It's exciting and beautiful and profound. It looks forward to a life yet to be lived. The lyrics are very clever, the work of a writer with a natural gift for poetry.

Wonderful was written by a mature man who made many life choices and had to stand beside the consequences of them, both good and bad. It's almost a midlife kind of musing as a man looks back on his life and choices and then forward to "a new life" or a new old life. It is full of peace and contentment and excitement for a next chapter.

Because these were written during different "eras", I find it hard to throw them against each other. It's like comparing apples and oranges: I life them both equally!

I have a special place in my heart for Wonderful. I sing this with my 9 and 5 year old sons every night before bed. We've sung it dozens of times and when we sing, my heart swells with joy and love. 

That being said, Golden is one of those tunes that cemented my love of the band, like many others have already said.  It's a tune that makes you realise what a powerfully gifted songwriter Jim is. 

:bath:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

sweatboard

Quote from: LeanneP on Feb 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
Golden was written by a young man; by someone who was really just beginning to come of age and understand the long game of the life he'd chosen. It's exciting and beautiful and profound. It looks forward to a life yet to be lived. The lyrics are very clever, the work of a writer with a natural gift for poetry.

Wonderful was written by a mature man who made many life choices and had to stand beside the consequences of them, both good and bad. It's almost a midlife kind of musing as a man looks back on his life and choices and then forward to "a new life" or a new old life. It is full of peace and contentment and excitement for a next chapter.

Because these were written during different "eras", I find it hard to throw them against each other. It's like comparing apples and oranges: I life them both equally!

I have a special place in my heart for Wonderful. I sing this with my 9 and 5 year old sons every night before bed. We've sung it dozens of times and when we sing, my heart swells with joy and love. 

That being said, Golden is one of those tunes that cemented my love of the band, like many others have already said.  It's a tune that makes you realise what a powerfully gifted songwriter Jim is. 

Thank you for writting that.  powerful
There's Still Time.........

johnnYYac

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 24, 2013, 02:21 PM

Thank you for writting that.  powerful
Agreed. Great insight, Leanne.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

capt. scotty

Golden by a Golden mile
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

manonthemoon

Wonderful for me as while I love the lyrics of Golden, I don't really dig the song.  But I will agree that Bermuda Highway is the best acoustic song they got.
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

Quote from: zanjam on Feb 24, 2013, 01:12 PM
I love how Beth "knows the answer"!!  Of course you do!!

I know my answer :grin: :wink:

Fully

This is an excellent analysis, Leanne! I think Golden may be the most perfect song he's ever written, but I still get tired of hearing it played so often. And I love Bermuda Highway and Old Sept. Blues and IWBTWYD etc. But Golden just has a hope to it and a beauty to it that seems timeless.