Main Menu

Sharon Van Etten

Started by FiddleCastro, Feb 24, 2013, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

I went a-diggin and couldn't find a SVE thread. I coulda sworn I made one, maybe it was on the old board and didn't make the transfer.

I know most of you guys have already heard of her, but I figured she deserves her own thread, especially since her tour with Nick Cave is kicking off soon. 

I've been working on this little project for the last couple of months and it's been fun.  If you're interested in learning a bit about Sharon & her music, check this out: http://fyeahsharonvanetten.tumblr.com/

If you haven't check out why she's one of my favorite live musicians, and why I've seen her as many times in 2012 as MMJ:

Serpents:
Sharon Van Etten - Serpents (Philly) 2-10-12

Don't Do It:
Sharon Van Etten - Don't Do It - live in Paris at Le Point FMR

Magic Chords:
Sharon Van Etten - Magic Chords - live in Paris at Le Point FMR

One of my favorite videos of any artist:
I'm Wrong into Love More
Sharon Van Etten - I'm Wrong & Love More Live

I had the pleasure of seeing them 7 times last year, and met her drummer last week at Jim James' show in Brooklyn, he's a super nice dude, and apparently is very close to Ryan Pickett. 
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Northern Neighbour

The wife and I spoke with SVE when she was in Ottawa.  We chatted for a good 30 minutes.  She's great.  She talked about her bad experience at the Deer Tick after-party, but then said her show at the NFF was great.  I see that she's opening for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on a few shows, so might be worth checking out.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 PM
The wife and I spoke with SVE when she was in Ottawa.  We chatted for a good 30 minutes.  She's great.  She talked about her bad experience at the Deer Tick after-party, but then said her show at the NFF was great.  I see that she's opening for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on a few shows, so might be worth checking out.

Headhunter, Brooke and I were at that show!..she totally called a guy out for being a douchey frat boy..she stopped her set and said something like 'get the F*ck off the stage'....it was awesome. I immediately thought how proud Fiddle would be...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 PM

Headhunter, Brooke and I were at that show!..she totally called a guy out for being a douchey frat boy..she stopped her set and said something like 'get the F*ck off the stage'....it was awesome. I immediately thought how proud Fiddle would be...

From all the stories I've heard, she's super shy, yet very friendly, but I've seen her tell off this one dude who just kept yelling "ONE DAY!!" at her, she said something like "I know you're excited, but no one wants to hear you yelling during that song, it's f*ing annoying"  (the song she just played, which I believe was I Fold or Give Out, the equivalent of an "I Will Be There When You Die")

I'm a little jealous you got to meet her, NN,  :grin: but I had the opportunity and totally passed on it, I was at a show she was rumored to be playing, she was the organizer of the event and I saw her hanging out outside the venue.  I figured she was busy because she organized the whole thing, but I regret not at least saying hello!

Northern Neighbour

At the Deer Tick after-party, she said that this guy was making obscene gestures - slowly imitating with his fingers slashing his throat and then both of his forearms and even at one point making forming his fingers into the shape of a gun and pointing it at her.  That's when she apparently went off on the guy.  She realized that her music was just for the wrong crowd, but enjoyed hanging out with Jim, Deer Tick, etc.

When we spoke with her, she told us a bit about growing up in Jersey and her travels.  At the time, she was planning a tour in Australia, so we shared with her some pointers.  Of course, they don't get to do much sightseeing while touring.  Oh yeah, there's a point in our conversation where I could see her glancing around and she was a bit antsy.  I asked if something was wrong, and she said she really had to go to the bathroom and I pointed her the way.  She came back and we chatted some more. So Fiddle, you have to speak to her next time.  She's really friendly and has plenty of stories to share.

We also spoke quite a bit with Jed, who was basically her "touring manager".  They were co-workers at Jagjaguwar and became friends.   We accidentally met him, but that's another story.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
At the Deer Tick after-party, she said that this guy was making obscene gestures - slowly imitating with his fingers slashing his throat and then both of his forearms and even at one point making forming his fingers into the shape of a gun and pointing it at her.  That's when she apparently went off on the guy.  She realized that her music was just for the wrong crowd, but enjoyed hanging out with Jim, Deer Tick, etc.

When we spoke with her, she told us a bit about growing up in Jersey and her travels.  At the time, she was planning a tour in Australia, so we shared with her some pointers.  Of course, they don't get to do much sightseeing while touring.  Oh yeah, there's a point in our conversation where I could see her glancing around and she was a bit antsy.  I asked if something was wrong, and she said she really had to go to the bathroom and I pointed her the way.  She came back and we chatted some more. So Fiddle, you have to speak to her next time.  She's really friendly and has plenty of stories to share.

We also spoke quite a bit with Jed, who was basically her "touring manager".  They were co-workers at Jagjaguwar and became friends.   We accidentally met him, but that's another story.
Ha I got an e-mail from him regarding Lady Lamb The Beekeeper, he works for Ba Da Bing now.  We exchanged a couple of e-mails.

Northern Neighbour

Could you flip me his email?  I would like to know how he enjoyed "The Game of Thrones" because Carol and I drove him after the show, got our set of books, and drove back to the venue to give them to him.  We then chatted with SVE.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
Could you flip me his email?  I would like to know how he enjoyed "The Game of Thrones" because Carol and I drove him after the show, got our set of books, and drove back to the venue to give them to him.  We then chatted with SVE.

Check your inbox :)

FiddleCastro

Northern Neighbour

I just wished her a happy birthday on her Facebook page.  Not that she remembers us.

FiddleCastro

Tonight I saw Sharon open for Nick Cave. She was fantastic and played two new songs. It was just her and Zeke (Drummer), who remembered me from when I met him at a Jim James show!

So, there's this blog that photoshops Salad and salad related quotes and images of Sharon Van Etten and her band together...

http://sharonvaneatinsalad.tumblr.com/

I actually made a "salad" and.. well...

SaraBananaBear

Hahaha congrats on getting your salad signed Fiddle, that's awesome. :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Crispy

Awesome, Rich! Sharon Van Eatin' Salad is goddamned brilliant, btw.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Shug

That's Zeke Hutchins on drums, he's Tift Merritt's husband and used to drum in her band.  A very nice guy.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

FiddleCastro

Yep! Also a member of Queen Sarah Saturday with MMJ sound man Ryan Pickett!

CC

Fiddle, are you going to see Ed Askew 9/30 at Death By Audio?
Good chance Sharon will be special guest.

For The World feat. Sharon Van Etten
http://youtu.be/_zNu3DArfKo

FiddleCastro

Quote from: CC Baxter on Sep 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Fiddle, are you going to see Ed Askew 9/30 at Death By Audio?
Good chance Sharon will be special guest.

For The World feat. Sharon Van Etten
http://youtu.be/_zNu3DArfKo

That sounds awesome. Heard this track a couple of weeks ago! I may go, but I've got so many shows coming up the week prior:

Lady Lamb, Julia Holter, Torres, Doug Keith (sharon's guitarist), and Clutch & The Sword... 

I may need some time to recover... or I may need another show  :grin:

I was talking to Sharon and she seemed super excited for that Torres show, I figured she'd guest during Natureboy's set (she's done it before) (and she's on the new record) but Natureboy dropped off the bill  :cry:

I also updated the original post and added a link to my little blog project inspired a lot by  SaraBananaBear: http://fyeahsharonvanetten.tumblr.com/

FiddleCastro

Junip and Sharon Van Etten - "With or Without You" (U2 cover) - Live

Junip and Sharon Van Etten - "With or Without You" (U2 cover) - Live

Northern Neighbour

FiddleCastro