Main Menu

Blue Oyster Cult

Started by wolof7, Feb 25, 2013, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Does anyone here enjoy the sweet and glorious rock of BOC?

I've been digging deep into their catalog and when you sift through some layers of cheese there are some nuggets of genius peppered in. Obviously, Agents of Fortune and Fire of Unknown Origins are their most notable albums but there is some good stuff on Secret Treaties, Spectres and Some Enchanted Evening. I will say that Don't Fear the Reaper is still one of my favorite songs of all-time

Anyways they have a career spanning box set newly released here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Columbia-Albums-Collection/dp/B008S80OU2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361836175&sr=8-3&keywords=blue+oyster+cult

Any other fans out there?

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Shug

For as much as I love my 70s hard rock, I guess I'm only a casual fan of their better known songs.

Perhaps you could suggest a mix tape for folks who only know four or five of their better known songs (Reaper, Godzilla, Cities On Flame, Burnin' For You, etc)?
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

joey_rogo

alienlanes

I am a huge fan. Here is my LP collection, all are signed by BOC founding members Albert and Joe Bouchard

Crispy

WOW, alienlanes! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Shug on Feb 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
For as much as I love my 70s hard rock, I guess I'm only a casual fan of their better known songs.

Perhaps you could suggest a mix tape for folks who only know four or five of their better known songs (Reaper, Godzilla, Cities On Flame, Burnin' For You, etc)?

They had other songs?  :wink:

One I have always enjoyed was Veteran of the Psychic Wars, from Fire of Unknown Origin, which also found its way onto the Heavy Metal soundtrack and blew my mind as a kid. Joan Crawford is also a good tune from that record. And as wolof sez, there are some gems in the old catalog...

Here are tunes I like for a lesser-known-material BOC mixtape (chronological):

1. I'm on the Lamb But I Ain't No Sheep
2. She's as Beautiful as a Foot
3. Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll
4. O.D.'d On Life Itself
5. Hot Rails to Hell
6. Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl)
7. Harvester of Eyes
8. Flaming Telepaths
9. Astronomy
10. E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
11. Celestial the Queen
12. The Vigil
13. Veteran of the Psychic Wars
14. Joan Crawford
15. Take Me Away

Okay, that last one is fringing on '80s glam metal, though it's still a cool song, and I have listened to more than my fair share of BOC today.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

wolof7

Wow this thread took off way more than I expected... I will get back with a mixtape but I would suggest just looking at Crispy's....I am total sucker for the tune 'I Love the Night.'

Alienlanes that signed collection is amazing

alienlanes

I don't know if "Astronomy" counts as a lesser known BOC song, especially since Metallica covered it on their Garage Inc double album a few years back. Joe Bouchard wrote that song himself and his royalties are quite nice from their cover  :thumbsup:

Joe and Albert have a band with original Alice Cooper band bassist Dennis Dunaway called BLUE COUPE (get it?) and my friend brings them up to Ontario at least once a year. I have met them numerous times and had them sign a few LPs at a time. They are very nice guys.

I have some Alice Cooper albums signed too (Love It To Death and Killer, my two faves)

Crispy

Quote from: alienlanes on Feb 26, 2013, 08:39 PM
I don't know if "Astronomy" counts as a lesser known BOC song, especially since Metallica covered it on their Garage Inc double album a few years back. Joe Bouchard wrote that song himself and his royalties are quite nice from their cover  :thumbsup:

I forgot about Metallica covering that one! I decided my criterion for inclusion on that mixtape would be whether or not I could recall hearing the song more than once on the radio, and I might have heard Astronomy along with Cities on Flame and ETI, but not in recent memory (though of course I never listen to the radio anymore). Veteran of the Psychic War is well known for sure, but I love it and put it on anyway.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

he.who.forgets

this thread needs more cowbell :wink:

wolof7

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Feb 26, 2013, 11:17 PM
this thread needs more cowbell :wink:

ahhhhhhhhhh there it is, we all knew it was coming. Seriously, though how weird was that sketch, with the catch phrase and the randomness of it all...prob why it was so popular.

Also they are still touring...I generally stay away from nostalgia acts but am willing to make exceptions. Anyone seen them lately? How do they sound? what comprises their setlist? What lineup do they use?

Shug

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 PM
I might have heard Astronomy along with Cities on Flame and ETI, but not in recent memory (though of course I never listen to the radio anymore). Veteran of the Psychic War is well known for sure, but I love it and put it on anyway.

You must have better radio where you live than me, Crispy, I've never heard anything other than Reaper, Burnin' and Godzilla on the radio.  I have one kinda lame BOC comp, I'll have to see if I have any of those songs you recommended are on it.  Thanks for the listening advice, I'll check it out!

I saw BOC live a couple years ago at the annual biker festival they have here in Scottsdale, AZ.  They were about what I'd expect, probably nowhere near their powerful peak, but still a good time.

When I was 11 in 1978, I badly wanted to go see Cheap Trick who were playing San Diego stadium along with three other bands I'd never heard of:  Pat Travers, UFO, and Blue Oyster Cult.  I did not get to go and its one of my biggest regrets.  What a mind-blower that would have been!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

joey_rogo

I saw BOC twice 'recently.' I can't remember what years, maybe 2008 or something. I'm not a BOC expert so don't know all the names but Eric and the other original guitarist/vocalist were still playing. The bassist, keyboard/guit guy and drummer were all new or different from the original. The drummer was fucking insane. The sets were pretty much greatest hits shows. Got I Love the Night one time but no Astronomy despite me yelling for it the whole time. It was fun. I wouldn't travel to see them, but if they came back to my town, sure.

bigloop

They came to NH last month and I couldn't justify the $75. But of course now I regret not going.  I always forget that once the ticket is bought, you forget about the price.

wolof7

Quote from: bigloop on Feb 27, 2013, 07:46 PM
They came to NH last month and I couldn't justify the $75. But of course now I regret not going.  I always forget that once the ticket is bought, you forget about the price.

In fairness I'd say $75 is a lot for BOC...is that standard price for them?

I mean to put it in perspective the last time I saw Rush tix with the fees were around $80 and Petty was around $90 (which came with album and live ep dl). Both of those bands are favorites of mine and I questioned even paying that. I prob wouldn't put much more than $40-$50 down for BOC at this point in their career, would still struggle with that decision.

I think a 1 day pass for either Newport Folk or Solid Sound is around $80. I just can't get behind these larger or bourgeois venues, prices are getting outrageous and you chance not even getting great seats/viewing

joey_rogo

When BOC came thru my area they played at that shitty strip mall club and I'm sure tickets were not more than $35.

alienlanes

I saw BOC once around 2000/2001. I went with my father-in-law, who was mildly interested, but they were not as good as their opener. The Canadian classic rock radio band April Wine opened but and stole the show. BOC were kinda lifeless in comparison.

I am owed about $350 for a freelance job I did back in August (!?!) and I am pretty sure I am going to splurge on this BOC box when/if I ever actually get paid!