MMJ Ethnography (please help with school project)

Started by e_wind, Feb 25, 2013, 07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Caroline, who many of you have met at many shows, has to do an ethnography for an Anthropology class. so, shes doing mmj forum community members. we are of all ages, locations, walks of life, etc, so it may be pretty interesting. I copy and pasted the email from her, here. You all can answer here, PM me, facebook me, email me, text me, or whatever you feel comfortable with. and you answer what you want. the more people, the better ethnography, obviously. so, itd be awesome if you all could help!

I'll answer when I get the chance. also, number 15 could be pretty important. thats the place where answers could get personal, so feel free to include ANY information at all.

"Thank you for participating! Please answer as many of the following questions that you are comfortable with. I appreciate your time and look forward to reading your responses.

1.   Do you consider music to be a big part of your life? 

2.   When/ why did you begin posting on the forum or other parts of MMJ's website?

3.   Are there any benefits from the relationships you have formed with other forum members? 

4.   Is there a specific name you use to describe the group or yourself as part of the group? Would you consider yourself a groupie?

5.   Can you describe the first time you met other members from the forum? How did you all introduce yourselves to each other?

6.   Is there any apparent social structure or hierarchy to the group?

7.   What is the format in which you communicate with other forum members/ MMJ fans?

8.   Are there specific ways you keep track of the concerts you have been too, songs you have seen, or memories from shows? 

9.   Do you have paraphernalia from the band and shows?

10.   Can you describe the atmosphere during the live performances? The environment of venues including the band, fans, and physical aspects? How would you describe a live MMJ show to someone who has never attended one?

11.   Can you describe a typical day when you see a concert- what goes on before, during and after? Is there anticipation beforehand? How do you feel when the performance is over?

12.   If you travel to see the band, can you describe a significant experience when you traveled for a show? What is the furthest distance you have traveled to see My Morning Jacket? 

13.   How did you begin following this band? 

14.   Have you ever met the band? If so, can you describe the circumstances of the event and how you felt?

15.   Please include any other information you think is relevant to the interview. If possible, include pictures, notes, etc. related to MMJ. "
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

LeanneP

Might I suggest Caroline create a gmail address that people can send answers to?  I'm sure her research committee would prefer anonymity :)
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

e_wind

good thinkin, lincoln.

cjholt03@cardmail.louisville.edu

tdb810

I will do this tomorrow when I'm goofing off....errrrrr....working hard. 
.....Back at the Model Home

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: tdb810 on Feb 25, 2013, 09:23 PM

I'm with you girlfriend.

e_wind

People have been PMing me answers. Don't be shy

tdb810

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 25, 2013, 09:47 PM
Quote from: tdb810 on Feb 25, 2013, 09:23 PM

I'm with you girlfriend.
Well, alright boyfriend!

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

weeniebeenie

Cool. When do we have to have the answers done by?
How loud can silence get?

e_wind

e_wind

Caroline said she has gotten some via email and they're really good. Thanks! And keep em coming!

APR

Sounds cool.  I'll get some answers to you before the deadline.  Any chance she will post the report so we can read it?  I think it will be interesting.

e_wind

I'm sure she would. It's probably due right around May 1st cause thats the end of the semester

tdb810

just emailed mine! whew, that was a lot of work, but a fun trip down memory lane!  Also, it made me remember how much I love this place, regardless of how often I may or may not be on here.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

e_wind

bumpin' this. just ran into her and she has 5. I havent done mine, but it would be nice to double that

Mr. White

Well, I just sent Caroline my completed MMJ Ethnography. It was around 4 pages long!. I'm sure some other Forum members will have even longer ones to send out. I included 2 photos to help answer question 15. I hope the project/paper gets an A+!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

e_wind

Thanks man! There have been quite a few so far. Thanks eeryone

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

easyway2012

Just sent her an email... I really enjoyed participating and rehashing some great memories. Thanks!
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

ms. yvon

this will be a terrific early-morning-cafe-lurking project tomorrow!

[note to self:  ask cc about reinstating the coffee cup emoticon for moments such as these]
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."