Awesome Albums In 2013

Started by sweatboard, Mar 05, 2013, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Northern Neighbour

Mikal Cronin's 2nd album is fantastic.  Might just be the best album I've listened to this year.

MrWhippy

Quote from: marino13 on May 07, 2013, 11:34 AM
I streamed some of the new Natalie Maines record yesterday and it might be the surprise of the year for me.  Wasn't ever a big fan of hers, but I was intrigued to hear her cover of Jeff Buckley's "Lover You Should've Come Over" and it is fantastic.  She also covers Floyd "Mother", the Jayhawks "I'd Run Away" and a Patty Griffin tune. 

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, the two disc deluxe edition of Live at Sin-e has really been kicking my butt lately.  Not a 2013 album, but it has some brilliant covers as well, including three Dylan songs.  A very intimate recording, just Jeff and his guitar in a little cafe with lots of banter.  A window into his soul.

Thanks.  I didn't know about the Jeff Buckley cover on the new Natalie Maines record, now I'm intrigued as well as I need to hear that.

Agree about Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e record, it's great how many live recordings have been released from his all too short career.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

weeniebeenie

Quote from: MrWhippy on May 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
I streamed some of the new Natalie Maines record yesterday and it might be the surprise of the year for me.  Wasn't ever a big fan of hers, but I was intrigued to hear her cover of Jeff Buckley's "Lover You Should've Come Over" and it is fantastic.  She also covers Floyd "Mother", the Jayhawks "I'd Run Away" and a Patty Griffin tune. 

Speaking of Jeff Buckley, the two disc deluxe edition of Live at Sin-e has really been kicking my butt lately.  Not a 2013 album, but it has some brilliant covers as well, including three Dylan songs.  A very intimate recording, just Jeff and his guitar in a little cafe with lots of banter.  A window into his soul.

Thanks.  I didn't know about the Jeff Buckley cover on the new Natalie Maines record, now I'm intrigued as well as I need to hear that.

Agree about Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e record, it's great how many live recordings have been released from his all too short career.
I really like his covers of Night Flight, If You Knew and Be You Husband on that album.
How loud can silence get?

marino13

Quote from: weeniebeenie on May 13, 2013, 06:23 AM
Quote from: MrWhippy on May 12, 2013, 07:13 PM

I really like his covers of Night Flight, If You Knew and Be You Husband on that album.

I remember the first time I sat down with that album with a good set of headphones.  I was reading through the liner notes talking about his greatness in those small gigs and just became overwhelmed with emotion.  It's weird, but with the banter between songs I felt like I was actually there with him.   He had me completely drawn in, but then to know that this amazing talent was taken away from us far too early really depressed me.

I think the Maines album, and any covers album for that matter, is pretty polarizing.  Some people get hung up on the originals, and no cover could satisfy them.  I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail, so I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I think her Buckley cover is pretty stunning.

markcel

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on May 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
Mikal Cronin's 2nd album is fantastic.  Might just be the best album I've listened to this year.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I love these threads, I find so much great music I would have otherwise have missed.

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: markcel on May 13, 2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.  I love these threads, I find so much great music I would have otherwise have missed.

No problem.  It's been a great year so far for music.  Here's a single from MCII:

Mikal Cronin - Weight

parkervb

I know several have mentioned Futurebirds' album Baba Yaga and I have to agree.  I've been a bit absorbed by it since I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. 
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

and after streaming it a couple of times last week, I am definitely looking forward to Vampire Weekend's new album. 
Don't you ever turn it off

Dillsnufus

Random Access Memories is Phenomenal

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Ruckus

I'm very much enjoying the Maines album Marino, even if Ben Harper didn't scuff up the polish a little bit more.  She really does show off her chops on Lover You Should've Come Over.

Also wanted to agree with Parker about Dig.  It's my song of the year so far.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Murph

Im really liking this Deerhunter record, Monomania.  I've never listened to Deerhunter before, always got them and Animal Collective confused for some reason (?), but I think i'll start going backwards now. 

Mahgeetah34

I'll revisit this thread after Earl Sweatshirt drops 'Doris'  :thumbsup:

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on May 13, 2013, 03:19 PM
Quote from: markcel on May 13, 2013, 12:47 PM

No problem.  It's been a great year so far for music.  Here's a single from MCII:

Mikal Cronin - Weight

This is awesome.  More pop than i would expect comming from ty segall band. 

dmooney99

holy shit tons of great albums now (past month or so)

Daft Punk
Queens Of The Stone Age
Vampire Weekend
The National

Ob1jacobe

I have loved both VW and Contra but this is my favorite.  I know some VW could be off putting to some but I think people that did not really get into the first two will still enjoy Modern Vampires.  It could be my album of the year.

Northern Neighbour

Thanks for reminding me to pick up VW's next album.  On the to-do list for the weekend.

buaawwww

Fortunately I am able to get actual advanced copies of CDs (remember those?).  And I have to say... that the new Queens of the Stone Age has shot straight to my new favorite album of 2013.  It's a little different... kind of dark, and moody... but absolutely incredible.  I cannot get enough of it.  So yeah... QOTSA "...Like Clockwork".  Number 1 with a bullet.

manonthemoon

Quote from: buaawwww on May 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
Fortunately I am able to get actual advanced copies of CDs (remember those?).  And I have to say... that the new Queens of the Stone Age has shot straight to my new favorite album of 2013.  It's a little different... kind of dark, and moody... but absolutely incredible.  I cannot get enough of it.  So yeah... QOTSA "...Like Clockwork".  Number 1 with a bullet.

Excited about this one as well, great to see Dave back on the drum and Nick back as well.  I think this is a much stronger lineup than some of the others.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Red Fang just announced they'll have another album out this fall, excited about that one.
Alive or Just Breathing