Awesome Albums In 2013

Started by sweatboard, Mar 05, 2013, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ru-day

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on May 17, 2013, 09:22 AM

I have loved both VW and Contra but this is my favorite.  I know some VW could be off putting to some but I think people that did not really get into the first two will still enjoy Modern Vampires.  It could be my album of the year.

GREAT ALBUM!! I streamed it on Itunes non-stop before the release date, now that I have the album Im sharing the love (burning copies to all my peeps). Favorite VW album so far!

Ru-day

The National's new album, "Trouble will Find Me", is pretty dam good  :thumbsup: Haven't listened to it enough to have a final opinion, but it's definitely worth purchasing!     

Ob1jacobe

My updated almost half year best of list (limited to 10)

1. The National - Trouble Will Find Me * 
  2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City *
  3. Phosphorescent - Muchacho *
  4. Kurt Vile - Walkin On A Pretty Daze *
  5. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse *
  6. Local Natives - Hummingbird
  7. Mikal Cronin - MCII
  8. The Men - New Moon
  9. Yo La Tengo - Fade
  10. Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic

I bought a Audio-Technical turntable and earphones and own the top five on vinyl.  I LOVE the experience of receiving, opening and listening.  For lack of better word it is so much more intimate and enhances the listening experience.  Helps to have great recent releases like The National and VW.

Ru-day

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on May 23, 2013, 11:56 AM

7. Mikal Cronin - MCII
  8. The Men - New Moon
  9. Yo La Tengo - Fade

I bought a Audio-Technical turntable and earphones and own the top five on vinyl.  I LOVE the experience of receiving, opening and listening.  For lack of better word it is so much more intimate and enhances the listening experience.  Helps to have great recent releases like The National and VW.

I began collecting vinyl about three years ago ( I mostly buy current albums that become my favorites to listen to), but I haven't had the chance/means to buy a turn table. Feel like its time for me to sacrifice on other expenses in order to finally get my own turntable. What model did you just buy and would you recommend it to others?   

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Ru-day on May 24, 2013, 12:34 AM

7. Mikal Cronin - MCII
  8. The Men - New Moon
  9. Yo La Tengo - Fade

I began collecting vinyl about three years ago ( I mostly buy current albums that become my favorites to listen to), but I haven't had the chance/means to buy a turn table. Feel like its time for me to sacrifice on other expenses in order to finally get my own turntable. What model did you just buy and would you recommend it to others?   

I got the following based on some recommendations on most cost effective way to listen to vinyl.  I have been extremely happy with everything

Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier

Ru-day

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on May 27, 2013, 01:24 PM
Quote from: Ru-day on May 24, 2013, 12:34 AM

7. Mikal Cronin - MCII
  8. The Men - New Moon
  9. Yo La Tengo - Fade

I got the following based on some recommendations on most cost effective way to listen to vinyl.  I have been extremely happy with everything

Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S Professional Studio Monitor Headphones

FiiO E6 Portable Headphone Amplifier

Sweet!! Thanks for the advice!! :smiley:

e_wind

Never thought that I would say it about something DJ or electronic based, but the new Daft Punk is REALLY GOOD.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Dillsnufus

Quote from: e_wind on May 29, 2013, 11:44 AM
Never thought that I would say it about something DJ or electronic based, but the new Daft Punk is REALLY GOOD.

I thought the same thing. But there integration with rock, pop, and instrumentals it's really catchy. I'm loving it (and listening to the vinyl right now )
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

dookie shoot bandit

I have to say the new she and him isn't bad.. I'll support anything by m. Ward  :thumbsup:
And thank you to you guys for posting about foxygen and phosphorescent. Shits awesome. Probably never would have gave it a shot if it wasn't for this forum.. :beer:

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Apr 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
I have a tie at the top of my list

Daughter - If You Leave
Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Ripely Pine

Hey Fiddle, based on you liking awesome folk albums (Lady Lamb, Torres) have you listend to Laura Marling's latest?  Giving first listen today and i am really digging it.

LBSUNFLWR

Adding the new Jason Isbell to my list for sure.
After 2 listens.  :thumbsup:

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Jun 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
Quote from: FiddleCastro on Apr 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
I have a tie at the top of my list

Daughter - If You Leave
Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Ripely Pine

Hey Fiddle, based on you liking awesome folk albums (Lady Lamb, Torres) have you listend to Laura Marling's latest?  Giving first listen today and i am really digging it.

I have not! But I will!

I haven't even given the new National record a real good listen, and i'm seeing them tonight...  :grin:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

e_wind

I will also say that Jason Isbells new album is an "awesome album of 2013"

but... my 2nd five star record of the year is Evil Friends by Portugal. The Man. The first being Phosphorescent.

BH

New Lightning Dust coming June 25th!!!    Just ordered deluxe package which comes with vinyl, CD, poster, bonus 7" and shipping for $29 total.   Now that's fair pricing!

http://www.lightningdustnews.blogspot.com/
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

he.who.forgets

Quote from: e_wind on Jun 05, 2013, 03:25 PM
I will also say that Jason Isbells new album is an "awesome album of 2013"

but... my 2nd five star record of the year is Evil Friends by Portugal. The Man. The first being Phosphorescent.
Just listened to PTM... Fantastic! They never ever disappoint

e_wind

We don't need no modern jesus to roll with us.....

Such an awesome song.

johnnYYac

Quote from: BH on Jun 05, 2013, 06:00 PM
New Lightning Dust coming June 25th!!!    Just ordered deluxe package which comes with vinyl, CD, poster, bonus 7" and shipping for $29 total.   Now that's fair pricing!

http://www.lightningdustnews.blogspot.com/
can you send or post a sample? I'm not familiar but intrigued.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kotchishm

I love Jason Isbell's new record.  That thing is going to win tons of awards.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

el_chode

So far I can't stop listening to monomania. Pensacola especially
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ru-day

The new SIGUR ROS (Kveikur) is out of this world!! Safe to say that it's the best album of this year...hard to imagine anything beating this from the top spot. AMAZING!!  :cheesy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: