Looking For a Band With a Meaty Live Act

Started by EverythingChanges, Mar 05, 2013, 12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Is there any current bands that have really great live shows/albums?  I love MMJ's Okonokos, or Wilco's Kicking the Television.  I've looked into some jams bands, but most of them sound too much like TGD, or just lack something to me.  I love the soaring guitars and keyboards on MMJ's stuff.  I'm looking for something "blue".
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Tracy 2112

You into Built to Spill? They tour quite frequently, have a soaring 3 guitar attack and I always leave their shows feeling meatier.

even when Doug's guitar strap breaks mid vocals

Built To Spill - Goin' Against Your Mind

and my favorite

Built To Spill "Stop The Show"

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

EverythingChanges

I've never heard of them before, thanks for the recommendation.  I'll be giving them a listen!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 05, 2013, 12:22 PM
I've never heard of them before, thanks for the recommendation.  I'll be giving them a listen!

RUN
to the record store and buy this:

e_wind

I feel like there are so many jokes on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't quite pin one down...

Pearl Jam, MMJ, Wilco, and (to a lesser extent) Lucero are all my go to bands. They all tour pretty heavily. Pearl Jam has more live shit than any other band I regularly listen to. Tons of DVDs, official Live records, and they record and release every single show. Of course, nothing is like being there in person. Of course most people who haven't dove into pearl jam think they wouldn't like them cause of Jeremy, but past their first 2 records, they are so much more than a "grunge" band. Vitalogy, Yield, and No Code are all amazing, 10/10 records. They get almost experimental.  If you're looking for a band who can bring it live, and have a ton of live shit recorded, PJ is a must. Ill post some videos later that could just make your brain explode out of your ears.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

he.who.forgets

I second the Built to Spill rec.  And of course PJ.  And since they have a pretty devoted following on here, I'd assume you already know about them but no one brings it quite like J Roddy & The Biznass

EverythingChanges

Thanks guys, I already own some PJ, I love their live stuff.

I'm looking heavily into Built to Spill right now.  I like what I hear.

Hawkeye

White Denim - best live band at SXSW (or so I hear) - saw them at the Orange Peel last October...they can bring it
We could.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Hawkeye on Mar 07, 2013, 09:12 AM
White Denim - best live band at SXSW (or so I hear) - saw them at the Orange Peel last October...they can bring it

I have both of their albums.  I'd love to see them live, they seem to have a very unique energy.

manonthemoon

This really depends on what type of music you really enjoy, but for me metal bands almost always put on a good live show.  The crowds are second to none IMO.  So for them I would say Mastodon and Red Fang are the two that always blow me away.  Other great live bands for me include And You'll know us by the Trail of Dead and Jeff The Brotherhood.  Have seen all of those numberous times and like the Jacket even a bad show is a great show in comparison to most bands.
Alive or Just Breathing

EverythingChanges

I'm looking for something that doesn't necessarily have heavy guitars.  More like something with the guitar sound at the end of steam engine.  Something that sounds either blue or purple.  I tend to like more mellow music with screaming guitars (like Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb or Hey You).  Another good example would be something like Phone Went West's live jam version.   

The closest thing I can find to this is something in the post rock genre, but I'm looking for a happy medium with actual vocals. 

I just need another MMJ album probably. 

sweatboard

Radiohead?

24hr. Front Desk?

Wye Oak?

Deerhunter?

The Cure?

Modest Mouse?

Black Mt.?

Besnard Lakes?

DIIV?

The Black Angels?
There's Still Time.........

e_wind

There are definitely bands out there who bring it as well as MMJ, but if you're like I was and are at the peak of your MMJ enthrall-ment, then nothing is gonna do it for you. They're just that good.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

sweatboard

yeah, I mean I probably haven't seen MMJ over 30 times for no reson.  I've seen some amazing shit, but MMJ is really in a realm of their own for me.  Wilco is also pretty amazing when it comes to a live show these days. 

Tracy 2112

this one is more sonic than poppy, with some extended jams and major changes and, of course, ethereal lyrics.

Every thousand years
This metal sphere
Ten times the size of Jupiter
Floats just a few yards past the earth

You climb on your roof
And take a swipe at it with a single feather
Hit it once every thousand years
'Til you've worn it down to the size of a pea

Yeah I'd say that's a long time
But it's only half a blink
In the place you're gonna be

every thousand years
this metal sphere
ten times the size of Jupiter
floats just a few yards past the earth
you climb on your roof
and take a swipe at it
with a single feather
hit it once every thousand years
`til you've worn it down
to the size of a pea
yeah I'd say that's a long time
but it's only half a blink
in the place you're gonna be

sweatboard

Yep, Thanks Dude!!!

The lyrics are amazing

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 08, 2013, 12:19 AM
this one is more sonic than poppy, with some extended jams and major changes and, of course, ethereal lyrics.

Every thousand years
This metal sphere
Ten times the size of Jupiter
Floats just a few yards past the earth

You climb on your roof
And take a swipe at it with a single feather
Hit it once every thousand years
'Til you've worn it down to the size of a pea

Yeah I'd say that's a long time
But it's only half a blink
In the place you're gonna be

every thousand years
this metal sphere
ten times the size of Jupiter
floats just a few yards past the earth
you climb on your roof
and take a swipe at it
with a single feather
hit it once every thousand years
`til you've worn it down
to the size of a pea
yeah I'd say that's a long time
but it's only half a blink
in the place you're gonna be

Alright I'm gonna pick this up and see what I think.  I'm sure Tracy is persistent for a reason.  This specific song is close to what I'm looking for, I like the sound.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure you guys are right with my MMJ obsession.  I'm not looking for something to grab me like MMJ has, because I do not think another band like that exists.  I'm just looking for something to hold me over until something new happens in MMJ land.  I just got almost all of Radiohead from a coworker, and I really like some of it.  I'm hoping it grows on me more in time.  The only thing that I have to get used to is the heavy electronic influence. 

sweatboard

I'm just going to throw this out there becuase my best friend has me on a huge Joy Divison/New Order kick and this song by depeche mode just KILLS!!!  I want to put New Order and Depeche Mode in the same realm....we talked about how amazing it would be to see any of those bands live.  Enjoy

Depeche Mode - Heaven

Tracy 2112

one more, last song on the album, cutting my grass one day and towards the end of the middle trance work and the lyric : when you feel the darkness shining through, what are you going to do? and I came as close as I have ever come to just turning the mower into traffic just to see that's next.

Built to Spill - Untrustable-Part 2 (About Someone Else)

ManNamedTruth

B2S is amazing, but I wasn't that impressed with them live. I've only seen them once though so I'm sure they've had killer shows. Doug had awkward stage presence that night, hard to explain.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!