Pink Floyd bootleg CD

Started by rincon2, Mar 08, 2013, 08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Just picked up a 1975 Floyd show from Nassau Coliseum. For mid to late PF fans, this may have been the tour to see. Opened with early versions of Sheep and Dogs with different titles and lyrics, then did most of Wish You Were Here, DSOTM, and ended with Echoes. Have not heard the whole thing yet, but sounds pretty good. Pass the blotter. :cheesy:

EverythingChanges

Epic.

Gilmour actually wanted to put Dogs and Sheep on Wish, but Waters didn't think they fit.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

rincon2

Waters is an asshole. Seeing him perform with Jim helped me to revise that opinion a bit.

wolof7

I've said this one million times...Why is there not more live Floyd available? Did they forbid tapers and lock all soundboards in a vault? I think I have Nassau, one of the few Floyd bootlegs out there, it's incredible
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Fully

I've only said it about three times, but I agree. There needs to be more Live Floyd. I'm getting in my time machine now...

GO4IT

This is a great live album that I've played a million times:
Delicate Sound of Thunder is a double live album by the English progressive rock band Pink Floyd which was recorded over five nights at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, New York in August 1988 and mixed at Abbey Road Studios in September 1988. It was released on 22 November 1988, through EMI Records in the United Kingdom and Columbia Records in the United States.

rincon2

I am sorry, as much as I love Gilmore, and think Waters is a dick, that is not a "Pink Floyd" album. Listening to Shine on U Crazy Diamond live, sounds like live MMJ. Carl's sax might have been inspired by PF. P.S. Bo is the new Richard Wright. He NEVER overtakes a song, but adds wonderful spice that you might not think is needed in a rock song, but simply makes it better.  Nick Mason plays like Keith Moon on Ludes, and that is not an insult by any means.

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

alienlanes

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 09, 2013, 06:48 AM
I've said this one million times...Why is there not more live Floyd available? Did they forbid tapers and lock all soundboards in a vault? I think I have Nassau, one of the few Floyd bootlegs out there, it's incredible

I am actually kind of surprised to hear you say you don't see a lot of live Floyd out there. Maybe it was just the crowd I hung out with in high school/university but I have seen a lot of PF bootlegs over the years, at least 35 different ones I'd say. I currently only have one, the entire Ivor Wynne Stadium, Hamilton ON concert from 1975 (which also features early versions of Animals songs) and it sounds pretty great for an audience recording.

Unfortunately the guy I know that has the most Pink Floyd bootlegs hit hard times about 6 years ago and I believe all of what he had were sold/traded for drugs.

This site, which used to offer free downloads of albums about 13 years ago, will give you lots of good info on PF bootlegs through the years: http://www.pf-roio.de

alienlanes

Also worth mentioning, the band did a lot of BBC live recordings and sessions over the years. If EMI can convince them to open the floodgates like they have some of their other bands they could easily put out 2 or 3 boxsets just of these archival recordings.

rincon2

During the 70's, and early 80's the majority of radio show, including Live at the BBC, American Top 40, and many other shows, were pressed in my hometown at Record Tech in Camarillo Ca. I had some friends who worked there circa 1979. I have an incredible vinyl Santana show where you can here Carlos's fingers sliding on the strings during Black Magic Woman. I also have the Pink Floyd show with Echoes on vinyl, complete with Dannon Yogurt and TDK tape commercials.  I have finished listening to the PF show I bought that started the thread. Have to say, they were better in the studio than this recording. The official DSOTM live release from 1973 is far superior.  Any Color You Like on the 1973 version is magic. It sounds like an extended MMJ jam. (seriously the root of MMJ's psychedelic jam sound). On the 1975 version, it is like they are on heroin instead of LSD. On the plus side Shine On You Crazy Diamond is another MMJ DNA song, where part 1 and 2 are quite good in this show. (To b objective, possibly the professional recording of 1973 is simply better than the bootleg 75 version, but I don't think that is it.)

wolof7

There may be Floyd bootlegs out there but I haven't found them readily available. I guess my complaint is also with the hopes that more live shows were released by the band in a semi-official way.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Shug

"Mason plays like Keith Moon on ludes"  :grin: :grin: :grin:

The Floyd-like sound in many of MMJs slower longer songs is something I clearly hear and a lot of what drew me to MMJ.  I'm with ya, Rincon!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

bigloop

Plenty of PF boots out there (alot sound like crap though) ... check the legal torrent sites like dimeadozen.org. 

For official releases, check out the 2011 re-releases.  The Discovery and Immersion offerings come come with some great live stuff.   http://www.whypinkfloyd.com/

But these are also available at the various not-so-legal torrent sites, if you're into that.  Personally, I think that PF have enough money, and more specifically enough of my money to justify some torrenting of these releases...   And I'm fully prepared to give them a ton more if they just fucking tour ...  it'll never happen, but my wallet is ready.

buaawwww

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 09, 2013, 10:29 PM
Here are two shows I found from 1970 and 1971.

Pink Floyd Live BBC 1970-1971 Full Show

This is an absolutely gem.  I have this on my iPhone as we speak.  The playing is fantastic and the quality just awesome.

alienlanes

A friend tipped me off to this tonight. Act quick before it disappears:

http://chrismontgomery1.bandcamp.com/

Colfax

if you watch carefully during the Live 8 show from a few years back, you can see Gilmore mocking Waters' cheesy "let's get everyone to clap" moment. Gilmore looks back at Mason and does a mocking big clap and they share a laugh.

Musically it was a great little reunion, but seeing the onstage mockery, I could tell this band is never getting back together.

Shame.

Fully

Angelo

Quote from: alienlanes on Apr 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
A friend tipped me off to this tonight. Act quick before it disappears:

http://chrismontgomery1.bandcamp.com/
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just now getting around to listening to my download. Great stuff.