College Football 2013

Started by Tracy 2112, Apr 15, 2013, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 12, 2013, 09:32 AM
Any of you SEC honks hear about this yet:

Documents, text messages reveal impermissible benefits to five SECheat players

One of the players in question is DJ Fluker from Alabama and if the allegations prove true, Bama could be forced to vacate their 2012 NC.  Although, this is the NCAA we're talking about and we all know they can't figure out how to get their heads out of their own asses so I doubt very strongly if anything come of this.  There's more important fish to fry than trying to actually curb the rampant cheating that goes on in the SEC like making sure programs don't spend too much time stretching...  :rolleyes:

Michigan is on probation goofball. So is Ohio State.

Big 10 football fans shouldn't be allowed to type "SEC"

Win a title; in the meantime, just sit back and admire. The ONLY conference in the whole country that matters is the SEC and EVERYONE knows this, some just won't admit it.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Speaking of cheating... :rolleyes:

I've wanted to hold off commenting on the SI articles until I've read them all. But so far they seem overblown and fairly ridiculous, in that they're so unsubstantiated, some of it so far-fetched, and why single out OSU for the sort of improprieties that are well known to be widespread throughout college football?

Several of the former players quoted have spoken out as being misquoted, or not even having been informed that they were being interviewed. This business about cash-filled envelopes in the locker room? Come ON, you think that's going to happen without a reporter seeing it, and for ten years?

Test-taking and grade changing? Drugs? Sex? PLEASE, let's visit Baylor, or Alabama, or Holy Cross, for god's sake, and tell me the same stuff isn't going on. The academics are a problem for sure, if true to the extent reported, but just try to solve those other things.

OSU has had lots of NCAA attention, deservedly so, during Dexter Manley's illiteracy, the Jimmy Johnson era, and the Hart Lee Dykes debacle. But now it feels like this "Special Report" from SI is being presented as part of OSU's perceived status as a habitual offender because of that past.

Those things said, I have no doubt that much of what is being described has actually happened, especially when Les Miles was here, as it was understood that he would be off to bigger pastures before long. But I think Mike Gundy has been much more diligent about operating cleanly, especially after witnessing first-hand the punishments that have been handed down in the past. Why would he think they could get away with it now?

What do you guys think? Are we still dirty? Who's clean?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 12, 2013, 09:59 AM

One of the players in question is DJ Fluker from Alabama and if the allegations prove true, Bama could be forced to vacate their 2012 NC.  Although, this is the NCAA we're talking about and we all know they can't figure out how to get their heads out of their own asses so I doubt very strongly if anything come of this.  There's more important fish to fry than trying to actually curb the rampant cheating that goes on in the SEC like making sure programs don't spend too much time stretching...  :rolleyes:

Win a title; in the meantime, just sit back and admire. The ONLY conference in the whole country that matters is the SEC and EVERYONE knows this, some just won't admit it.

Thanks for the heads up about Michigan being on probation captain obvious.  That's why I ended my last post by saying the NCAA only focuses on rampant cheating like over stretching which is basically all the NCAA could find in their investigation.  Oh, and the coach responsible for getting Michigan on probation is now coaching in the desert fwiw.

As for your jab at Ohio State, the joke among Michigan fans is they belong in the SEC for all of the cheating they get away with!  Tressel was finally caught red-handed in a lie that he'd been getting away with doing for his entire career dating back to his days at Youngstown State and was exposed for the cheater he has always been and that is why the buckeyes are now finally on probation and had nothing to show for 12-0!

Btw, did you read the Yahoo article?  Because, unlike the SI witch hunt article on Okie St, the Yahoo article has a paper trail of evidence showing the players in question were getting paid!  Usually what gets players like Scam Newton and Johnny Fuckup off the hook is that they don't leave a paper trail and the NCAA can't prove anything.  But in this case, there is CLEARLY a big paper trail and I don't see how the players in question get off in this case and if they do, it only further proves the NCAA is scared to go after the Southern Ethics Conference...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 12, 2013, 12:42 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 12, 2013, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up about Michigan being on probation captain obvious.  That's why I ended my last post by saying the NCAA only focuses on rampant cheating like over stretching which is basically all the NCAA could find in their investigation.  Oh, and the coach responsible for getting Michigan on probation is now coaching in the desert fwiw.

As for your jab at Ohio State, the joke among Michigan fans is they belong in the SEC for all of the cheating they get away with!  Tressel was finally caught red-handed in a lie that he'd been getting away with doing for his entire career dating back to his days at Youngstown State and was exposed for the cheater he has always been and that is why the buckeyes are now finally on probation and had nothing to show for 12-0!

Btw, did you read the Yahoo article?  Because, unlike the SI witch hunt article on Okie St, the Yahoo article has a paper trail of evidence showing the players in question were getting paid!  Usually what gets players like Scam Newton and Johnny Fuckup off the hook is that they don't leave a paper trail and the NCAA can't prove anything.  But in this case, there is CLEARLY a big paper trail and I don't see how the players in question get off in this case and if they do, it only further proves the NCAA is scared to go after the Southern Ethics Conference...

So, b/c the SEC cheats, we have 9 BCS titles and b/c the Big 10 is clean, they have 1. Got it.

Ruckus

You are hilarious ILB.  I'll just leave Michigan alone.  They are the last bastion of all that is right in amateur athletics. 

I'm humored by the fact that the masses are finally becoming tolerant of recruitment tactics.  I used to take so much shit for my hard stance on the NCAA for a decade and a half, particularly from a specific demographic, and now the holier than thous seem to be dwindling.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
You are hilarious ILB.  I'll just leave Michigan alone.  They are the last bastion of all that is right in amateur athletics. 

That they are...  :cool:   :tongue:

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
I'm humored by the fact that the masses are finally becoming tolerant of recruitment tactics.  I used to take so much shit for my hard stance on the NCAA for a decade and a half, particularly from a specific demographic, and now the holier than thous seem to be dwindling.

This is because the drum beat for paying these collegiate athletes is getting louder and louder.  My own personal feeling in all of this is that I just wish that the power conferences of college football would just give the NCAA a big Fuck You, we don't need you anymore and form their own league.  What exactly does the NCAA do anyways besides prove what an inept organization they are.  Their sanctions they hand down are inconsistent and that's putting it mildly.  Their ineptitude is beyond reproach except maybe FIFA might trump them in that department. 

The bottom line is, I think people are just becoming numb to hearing reports like the ones that have come out by Yahoo and SI this week because it is becoming the norm rather than the exception.  And the risk of getting caught hasn't been outweighed by the reward as oftentimes, the players in question are already in the NFL and are long gone by the time the NCAA comes around to placing sanctions on said school.  Clearly, the system is broke as it stands now and something needs to be done to remedy the problem.

capt. scotty

The SEC is the only conference that matters? Is that why Georgia and Florida have lost to ACC teams in the first 2 weeks?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

davymac

Quote from: capt. scotty on Sep 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
The SEC is the only conference that matters? Is that why Georgia and Florida have lost to ACC teams in the first 2 weeks?

Easy, it still stings!

Tracy 2112

Yes, the SEC is the only conference that matters; that's why you're talking about 1st and 2nd week games that could have gone either way.

Talk BCS titles without talking SEC......I am listening....

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 12, 2013, 10:19 PM

Yes, the SEC is the only conference that matters; that's why you're talking about 1st and 2nd week games that could have gone either way.

I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks for a comeback. Im talking about 1st and 2nd week games because the proof is in the pudding. UGA lost to Clemson, Florida lost to the U.

So while as great as the SEC may be, they've lost to 2 ACC teams so far.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Sep 13, 2013, 12:00 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 12, 2013, 10:19 PM

I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks for a comeback. Im talking about 1st and 2nd week games because the proof is in the pudding. UGA lost to Clemson, Florida lost to the U.

So while as great as the SEC may be, they've lost to 2 ACC teams so far.

Right. Because the ACC is a better football conference than the SEC.

Look, I know you're trolling me up and it's all fun, but seriously>

How would you describe the SEC's absolute dominance in football, having won 7 BCS Titles in a row? What word would you use? (I mean, besides hate)

iLikeBeer

What I don't get is the obsessive conference loyalty from SEC fan.  Its as if because Bama wins the title, if your team is in the SEC, you somehow share a part of it?  I could care less how many titles the B1G has.  All I care about is Michigan competing for a national title!  I just can't understand the logic of SEC fan.  I just don't get how UGA fans would want UF to win a NC just because they're SEC.  Or Auburn fan pulling for Bama or UT fan pulling for LSU. 

I know for me, I won't root for OSU when they're playing in the NC (yes even if they're playing an SEC team) just so I can pump my chest out and shout Big 10 rules?!  I mean, I have 2 teams I root for every Saturday.  Michigan and the team that's playing OSU.

But I guess when the school you root for has been less than irrelevant for decades, you have to hang your hat on something?   

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
What I don't get is the obsessive conference loyalty from SEC fan.  Its as if because Bama wins the title, if your team is in the SEC, you somehow share a part of it?  I could care less how many titles the B1G has.  All I care about is Michigan competing for a national title!  I just can't understand the logic of SEC fan.  I just don't get how UGA fans would want UF to win a NC just because they're SEC.  Or Auburn fan pulling for Bama or UT fan pulling for LSU. 

I know for me, I won't root for OSU when they're playing in the NC (yes even if they're playing an SEC team) just so I can pump my chest out and shout Big 10 rules?!  I mean, I have 2 teams I root for every Saturday.  Michigan and the team that's playing OSU.

But I guess when the school you root for has been less than irrelevant for decades, you have to hang your hat on something?

It's a southern thing; you wouldn't understand.

Plus, it's sort of silly (in the grand scheme of life) to be so passionate about a game that you hate someone. It's really just a game and it's all fun!

Ruckus

You already have "cooking with love."  You can't monopolize inferiority complexes as well Tracy.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
You already have "cooking with love."  You can't monopolize inferiority complexes as well Tracy.
I have so many inferiority complexes that I am down right cocky (I know, it's complicated)

Tracy 2112

br00ke

i rarely come on the boards, so don't mind me .. just wanted to say HOLY HELL WHAT A GREAT GAME - Auburn @ Texas A&M  :cheesy: :cheesy: .. that is all.

also, i totally get the SEC thing. me, my friends, my family .. if it isn't our team playing, then we'll pull for SEC in general. the only time i go against that is if it's a team i particularly loath. as an auburn fan, i'd still pull for 'bama. that, however, went to the wayside the past year or two b/c i've had enough from the bammer's. no offense to any bama fans or my dad and his family who all hail from t-town .. bear bryant portraits, season tix, and all.

Crispy

Quote from: br00ke on Oct 21, 2013, 05:03 PM
i rarely come on the boards, so don't mind me .. just wanted to say HOLY HELL WHAT A GREAT GAME - Auburn @ Texas A&M  :cheesy: :cheesy: .. that is all.

also, i totally get the SEC thing. me, my friends, my family .. if it isn't our team playing, then we'll pull for SEC in general. the only time i go against that is if it's a team i particularly loath. as an auburn fan, i'd still pull for 'bama. that, however, went to the wayside the past year or two b/c i've had enough from the bammer's. no offense to any bama fans or my dad and his family who all hail from t-town .. bear bryant portraits, season tix, and all.

How bout them War Eagle Tigers! How many mascots do you all get, anyhow?

And if you try to talk to brooke about football games that occur in other conferences, you'll be rewarded with a blank stare that says, "there are other football games besides those in the SEC?"   :wink:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
Here you go BH

Mizzou Student Section Gator Chomp

Nice!   I'm  still waiting on Mahgeetah34 to say he was wrong about our ability to compete in the SEC.    :smiley:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

br00ke

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
And if you try to talk to brooke about football games that occur in other conferences, you'll be rewarded with a blank stare that says, "there are other football games besides those in the SEC?"   :wink:

that's only partially true. i like watching oregon as well as OSU, texas, and TCU when they are good. oh and i always enjoy a michigan / michigan st. rivalry game.

it's not the SEC's fault they play the best ball :wink: