Strangulation!

Started by EverythingChanges, May 18, 2013, 02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Where did this song come from?

Seriously.

There really isn't a comparative song to it throughout the entire MMJ catalog.  Perhaps, ITIGTH comes closest to the same relative sound, but damn!  Strangulation is beautiful, melancholic, deep, and everything I want in a song.

Why isn't this song performed more often live?

Strangulation
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 18, 2013, 02:03 AM

Seriously.

There really isn't a comparative song to it throughout the entire MMJ catalog.  Perhaps, ITIGTH comes closest to the same relative sound, but damn!  Strangulation is beautiful, melancholic, deep, and everything I want in a song.

Strangulation

Jim's head is the answer to your first question. I think it and I think I'm Going To Hell explore similar dark themes. They also are about the same tempo. I love both of them and they describe feelings I've had at several times/periods in my life. They played Strangles quite a bit on last summer's tour bc we kept begging for it.

justbcuzido

Quote from: Fully on May 18, 2013, 06:48 AM

Seriously.

Strangulation

Jim's head is the answer to your first question. I think it and I think I'm Going To Hell explore similar dark themes. They also are about the same tempo. I love both of them and they describe feelings I've had at several times/periods in my life. They played Strangles quite a bit on last summer's tour bc we kept begging for it.

I hope they continue the trend of playing this song. What a powerhouse live. I am lucky that I got to hear it at my first MMJ show last summer. I kept requesting that song like no other, loved the Spontanious Curation Series. It was already in my top 5 (especially at that period in my life) and I was absolutely blown away by it. Moreso given the fact that these 3 songs were played in this order Honest Man->Strangulation->Run Thru (Full).... Milwaukee was a great first show and knocked out several rare At Dawn tunes off the bad (Xmas Curtain as well)...

Here's to hoping they keep on playing it.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

e_wind

The first time I saw them at red rocks was the first time I saw Strangulation and it was awesome. Thinking about it reminds of a time when I wasn't at all jaded and was still head over heals in love with the jacket.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on May 18, 2013, 06:48 AM

Seriously.

Strangulation

Yeah, but what possessed Jim to make such a dark song like that?  Maybe I'm so used to the new happy Jim who says Dark Side of the Moon is too fucking dark.  To me, this song feels like an anomaly in the best way possible.

Also, I am super jealous of anyone who has seen this song performed live.  Fingers are crossed to hear it in two months at Indy or Cinci. 

Fully

I imagine that's probably too personal to share. What's great about the subject matter is that it is universal. We've all had those moments in life where we felt strangled and choked by life, another person or our own poor choices. Or some combination of all three. Personally, I never talk about that time when I felt that way because it's just too difficult and shameful to share. What amazes me the most about that song is how young Jim was when he wrote it, and he completely nailed it. His inner muse was so strong at such a young age.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on May 18, 2013, 03:41 PM
I imagine that's probably too personal to share. What's great about the subject matter is that it is universal. We've all had those moments in life where we felt strangled and choked by life, another person or our own poor choices. Or some combination of all three. Personally, I never talk about that time when I felt that way because it's just too difficult and shameful to share. What amazes me the most about that song is how young Jim was when he wrote it, and he completely nailed it. His inner muse was so strong at such a young age.

:thumbsup: I completely agree

Jackets N Pones

I have always wanted to incorporate this song into the all-MMJ musical I am writing. Just kidding - I am not writing a musical, but if anyone ever writes one, this should be included.

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on May 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
I have always wanted to incorporate this song into the all-MMJ musical I am writing. Just kidding - I am not writing a musical, but if anyone ever writes one, this should be included.

A mmj musical like the wall...

justbcuzido

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
Quote from: Jackets N Pones on May 18, 2013, 07:40 PM

A mmj musical like the wall...

How about purple rain meets Tommy
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.