Main Menu

Led Zeppelin hate

Started by Tracy 2112, Jun 12, 2013, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

I knew Jaimoe had a big problem with Led Zeppelin, but I somehow missed everyone elses hate for the band

PETE TOWNSHEND HAS SOMETHING AGAINST LED ZEPPELIN

Keith Richards - About Led Zeppelin

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

I love Zeppelin, but some songs suck while others have become unlistenable due to over-play.

capt. scotty

As far as Im concerned, Zeppelin is the best rock band ever.

Better than the Stones, Beatles, Dead, Allman Bros, Doors or whatever other band from that era you want to insert.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 12, 2013, 10:55 PM

Better than the Stones, Beatles, Dead, Allman Bros, Doors or whatever other band from that era you want to insert.

I will enjoy Zeppelin, Floyd, or Rush over any of the rest of these bands any day of the week.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 12, 2013, 05:43 PM
I love Zeppelin, but some songs suck while others have become unlistenable due to over-play.

Fiddle agrees
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

weeniebeenie

No hate from me! The Rover has probably my favourite guitar solo ever.
How loud can silence get?

Jaimoe

Of course, great songs always fall under the threat of getting overplayed (AOR radio killed The Eagles, Steve Miller, AC/DC, "Start Me Up", "Sweet Home Alabama" and, of course, "Money For Nothing", etc.). With this in mind, I have a tough time listening to most of Led Zeppelin II and IV. So goddamn sick of those great, great albums. One song I just can't stand because it's bloody annoying is "D'yer Maker". For me, it's comparable to The Beatles' "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da", although the former isn't as nauseating. For awhile "Kashmir" was punishingly overplayed, but I don't mind it now. I don't think I'll ever tire of Zeppelin I, III or Houses of the Holy. However, The Song Remains the Same is one of the more boring live albums you'll ever hear. The film is pretty awful too, although it has been proven to cure insomnia. Definitive live Zeppelin is 2003's Led Zeppelin DVD, especially the first disc containing a fucking inspired and raw Zep at Royal Albert Hall in 1970.

davymac

Agreed. 

Crispy

I'm struggling to come up with a Led Zeppelin song that sucks...for me, anyway. I'm sure some of you other guys can. Yes, many have been overplayed, but that's not a problem for me since I don't listen to the radio anymore. I do agree, The Song Remains the Same stinks, in all its forms.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jaimoe

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
I'm struggling to come up with a Led Zeppelin song that sucks...for me, anyway. I'm sure some of you other guys can. Yes, many have been overplayed, but that's not a problem for me since I don't listen to the radio anymore. I do agree, The Song Remains the Same stinks, in all its forms.

Coda has several, but that album contains all reject songs. "Hotdog" is pretty shitty.

Anyone want to weigh-in on Page's well documented thievery? It doesn't bother me anymore, but it's pretty blatant.

On an unrelated note, I love that Page's go-to guitar during almost all Zeppelin albums is a Telecaster and not a Les Paul.

jcoyote

@ Jaimoe & Crispy.  No. 

I will never tire of Lemon Song, Moby Dick, or Bring It on Home from II.  In fact, Lemon Song is not even available on the 4 disc set put out in 90 or 91, so it's even rarer.  Not even XM Boneyard overplays those.  I will agree that IV, which I don't even own, is probably the biggest culprit of being overyplayed, but c'mon...

And if you don't enjoy No Quarter, Since I've Been Loving You, Dazed and Confused, or Moby Dick from Song Remains the Same, I'm not sure sure what to tell you. 

And Jaimoe, not to pick on you or be overly picky in general, but you listed "D'yer Maker" as a song you just can't stand, but said you could never tire of Houses of the Holy.   

I will agree that if I lost my 2003 dvd and could never get another copy, I would cry harder than if that happened to any other dvd I had, including Okonokos. 

There, I said it. 

Crispy

Hang on there, brother jcoyote, I think you misunderstood me. The only thing by Led Zeppelin that I do not want to hear anymore is the live mess that is The Song Remains the Same (not the song itself). I still love everything else.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jaimoe

Quote from: jcoyote on Jun 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
@ Jaimoe & Crispy.  No. 

I will never tire of Lemon Song, Moby Dick, or Bring It on Home from II.  In fact, Lemon Song is not even available on the 4 disc set put out in 90 or 91, so it's even rarer.  Not even XM Boneyard overplays those.  I will agree that IV, which I don't even own, is probably the biggest culprit of being overyplayed, but c'mon...

And if you don't enjoy No Quarter, Since I've Been Loving You, Dazed and Confused, or Moby Dick from Song Remains the Same, I'm not sure sure what to tell you. 

And Jaimoe, not to pick on you or be overly picky in general, but you listed "D'yer Maker" as a song you just can't stand, but said you could never tire of Houses of the Holy.   

I will agree that if I lost my 2003 dvd and could never get another copy, I would cry harder than if that happened to any other dvd I had, including Okonokos. 

There, I said it.

As a whole, Houses is great. I just find "D'yer Maker" annoying. Hey, I'm 45 and have listened to Zeppelin since the mid '70s (thanks to having older friends who had older brothers). There was a time, way back before the Fall of Rome, when I didn't mind Zeppelin's "reggae song". Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Thanks to the fucking jambands and their love of "No Quarter", that great song is under threat of being ruined too.

Fucking "Dazed and Confused" from TSRTS is a bloated borefest. It's actually my favourite Zeppelin remake (see Yardbirds et. al.) and I love the version on the 2003 DVD. Unless you are a drummer or think Bonzo was a god, which I don't, Moby Dick on TSRTS is self-indulgent and kinda boring too. I agree that "The Song Remains the Same" is terrific on TSRTS and film.

On II, I still can listen to Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it On Home" (the beginning is nearly identical to the original) and the Howlin' Wolf redo "The Lemon Song". I burned out Zep II by the late '80s, but take that as a compliment due to its excellence.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jun 13, 2013, 08:33 AM
No hate from me! The Rover has probably my favourite guitar solo ever.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

jcoyote

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hang on there, brother jcoyote, I think you misunderstood me. The only thing by Led Zeppelin that I do not want to hear anymore is the live mess that is The Song Remains the Same (not the song itself). I still love everything else.

No, I got it.  I'm saying that I love the Song Remains the Same soundtrack, with the exception of those songs on it that appear on IV. Most of it, anyway.  Those songs that I mentioned above.  I will agree that I could do w/o all the "skits" in the movie, although I do like seeing Plant bumping around w/ his kids.  The mobster stuff is pretty bad.  However, watching them play is a highlight for me. 

Bottom line is, to each his own.  I'm just ragging. 

ericm

Love me some Zep, and was lucky to have seen them live at MSG when I was younger. It was an amazing show, and one I'll never forget, as well as one of the only ticket stubs I've kept from back in the day. $9.50 for a "green seat" about center ice!  :thumbsup:

Having said that, I can't agree with this, as all these bands are great, and for me impossible to say one is better than the other. Never been a Doors fan, so I'd drop them from my list, but still respect their greatness.
"Where's Jim going?"

Jaimoe

Zeppelin has never been out of my Top 10 fav band list, and the list stretches back to the mid '70s. The Doors used to be in there, but I don't think they've scratched my mental Top 30 list since the late '80s.

Shug

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
I'm struggling to come up with a Led Zeppelin song that sucks...for me, anyway. I'm sure some of you other guys can. Yes, many have been overplayed, but that's not a problem for me since I don't listen to the radio anymore.

Yeah, my experience is that nothing is overplayed because I was never much of a radio listener.  I listen to what I want to listen to as much as I want or don't want.  I rarely get bored or tired of music that I love for that reason.  I always think it must suck to be burned out on something you used to love.  And overall in my life, I love Zeppelin probably more than any other band, with the Beatles, Stones and Grateful Dead just a hair behind 'em.  There are plenty of times when I feel about Zepp the same way that Capt. Scotty and Jack Black do. They were simply the mightiest rock band of all time and always will be.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

nuggets

page did too many overdubs in the studio which made their live shows lacking imo. love the albums, but they fell short on stage.
Oh shit, run!