Headhunters 3/5 DBT show in his backyard

Started by rincon2, Jun 17, 2013, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Jeff, headhunter on MMJ and DBT boards, held a show in his backyard this past Saturday with Patterson Hood, Jay Gonzalez, and Brad Morgan, from Drive-By-Truckers. He, along with at least Penny Lane and myself, are big fans of both bands. This was set up to be a pic of MMJ fans who attended. There probably is some DBT intrusion, but that is totally cool. I am on the right in the shirt with Bullwinkle knocking the shit out of Rocky. All others in this pic, please ID yourselves, even if I know who you are, because we all like to put names to faces. Not hard to figure out who Jeff is. He has a dog.

headhunter

Great photo Dale and so glad you made the long trip from LA.  I think you win the longest traveler award although we had people from 14 states plus Mr. & Mrs. Northern Neighbor from Canada.  Great night.  Sorry I didn't get to hang out more with you and the other forum gang but I was a little busy that night.  Still one of the best night I've ever spent and it was SO COOL that so many great forum members were there.  In the photo are (from top left to right) my cousin Mike from Boston, Matt & Kristen Patten from Utah (MtMan & Mtngurl) Ant Fros (from CT)who did the super cool poster (Deathstick), Jeremy (Ant's friend), Liz (ynwa), Brett (Man on the moon) from Maryland, Bill in CT, Alyssa from Maryland, Brooke, Laura (lil sis),Ben (northern neighbor from Ottawa) Rich (fiddle castro), Eric M from NJ, Ricon2 from California, Me & quincy and Penny Lane (NJ).  Missing from the photo is Rob & Kate from Marland (ruckus) and Carol (mrs. Northern Neighbor) plus probably some folks I forget for the moment but will remember later and be embarrassed that I forgot.

The fact that so many forum folks were there is much of what made the night so special.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

headhunter

headhunter

And thanks to Northern Neighbor, Gideon got to spend quality time with Patterson Hood.

Murph

Can I ask how you got these guys to play a show in your backyard :shocked:??

headhunter

a little bit of luck, good friends w connections and some interesting experience (we had jason isbell last year).

and sometimes, when you you act like you know what you're doing, people think that you do.

BH

Great group pic!   Wish I would have been there,wow!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

searchinbig

Nice extended family pic there Jeff! Looks like you guys had a great time.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

rincon2

On my plane ride back to LA yesterday I sat next to a student from USC who is studying music, same age as my son, 23. He eventually asked what I was doing in the northeast, and I told him a long story, and mentioned DBT. Before I could even tell him about the concert he told me he really likes Jason Isbel, and has seen him before. When I told him about the show last week he was amazed. When I told him Jeff had Isbel last year, it blew his mind.

ericm

Quote from: searchinbig on Jun 19, 2013, 07:14 AM
Nice extended family pic there Jeff! Looks like you guys had a great time.

We did have a great time, and don't believe otherwise.......the Headhunters definitely know what they're doing. :wink: it was one helluva bash that while I know was a lot of work, was as cool as could be.  :thumbsup:

Thanks again Beth and Jeff for the invite, hospitality, and wonderful time. :beer:

Oh and btw Rincon, I'm in the grey sweatshirt behind you with gum in my mouth, and looking at God knows what.  :grin:
"Where's Jim going?"

rincon2

I remember Eric. We actually spoke quite a bit that night. Amazing show, amazing house, amazing hosts. I wonder if the older crowd, on stage left, most of whom left early, were the neighbors. I walked to my car during the show to get something, and the music resonated all around the block. If anyone complained about a 90 minute show with what was mostly pretty gentle tunes, Eff em.  :evil: Easy for me to say.

ericm

Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
I remember Eric. We actually spoke quite a bit that night. Amazing show, amazing house, amazing hosts. I wonder if the older crowd, on stage left, most of whom left early, were the neighbors. I walked to my car during the show to get something, and the music resonated all around the block. If anyone complained about a 90 minute show with what was mostly pretty gentle tunes, Eff em.  :evil: Easy for me to say.

It was good to meet, and chat with you Dale.  :thumbsup:  Always fun to meet forum members.  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

Tired Eyes

I'm the guy in the Immolation t-shirt in the upper right of the photo.  It was good to meet you rincon2.

Thanks to headhunter and Beth for hosting a great event.  Despite the fact that I'm not smiling in the photo, I really did have a great time.

headhunter

Hey gang.

We were lucky with the weather but this was our 5th annual backyard shindig and we always invite the neighbors.  Most of them are really cool and good friends, plus it helps to keep out any complaints (not one in 5 yrs).

We had over 160 people there Saturday night, a few of whom may have had one too many    :rolleyes:  :shocked:  :beer:  No damage, no garbage left on the lawn, no complaints.  Seems like all who were there had a good time.

It was truly special for Mrs.  HH and I to have so many forum folks there.  Our special extended family.

manonthemoon

Thanks for the invite Jeff and Beth, you were fantastic hosts and we had a really great time.  Always a great time catching up with the forum peeps when we get the chance.  Was also nice to meet you for the first time Dale, sounded like your trip was worth it with the sale.  Ant's poster was awesome and now resides with its MMJ brothern.  It was great seeing everyone again and hopefully will do it again soon if we get some fall dates in the north east.  I must say the music room lived up to the hype  :shocked:, pretty amazing.   :beer:
Alive or Just Breathing

Northern Neighbour

I'd like to also express my gratitude to Jeff and Beth for a wonderful weekend.  It was a blast to spend time with you two and to see some old faces and meet new friends.  The weather was terrific, and Patterson, Jay, and Brad were extremely friendly.  Until next year!

he.who.forgets

Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 17, 2013, 07:28 PM
Jeff, headhunter on MMJ and DBT boards, held a show in his backyard this past Saturday with Patterson Hood, Jay Gonzalez, and Brad Morgan, from Drive-By-Truckers. He, along with at least Penny Lane and myself, are big fans of both bands. This was set up to be a pic of MMJ fans who attended. There probably is some DBT intrusion, but that is totally cool. I am on the right in the shirt with Bullwinkle knocking the shit out of Rocky. All others in this pic, please ID yourselves, even if I know who you are, because we all like to put names to faces. Not hard to figure out who Jeff is. He has a dog.

Dale, were you in Boston before heading up to NY?  I'm almost certain that we met and chatted briefly in a bar Thursday afternoon, June 13th.  You showed me a photo you took at the Sox game and we talked about our travels in general.  And of course, you mentioned you were heading to this backyard show as well.  If that's you, wow, small world!

rincon2

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jun 24, 2013, 10:20 AM

Dale, were you in Boston before heading up to NY?  I'm almost certain that we met and chatted briefly in a bar Thursday afternoon, June 13th.  You showed me a photo you took at the Sox game and we talked about our travels in general.  And of course, you mentioned you were heading to this backyard show as well.  If that's you, wow, small world!
Wednesday 6-12 I spent the day in the North End bar hopping.I left for NY early Thursday Morning. Were you in the bar with the Ted Williams abstract paintings? I seem to recall there was someone that I suspected may be a fan of DBT and or MMJ. I was the only one at the show from Cal., and I must have told you I was from the LA area. Manhattan and North End Boston were my favorite city spots I saw in 2 weeks, 9 states of the upper Northeast. I sure got a lot of great photos there. Was the Fenway pic Adrien Beltre's home run swing?Too much of a coincidence on all points for it not to have been me. Check out this thread on the DBT board and see some of my shots, and some other great ones.  http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5441

he.who.forgets

Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 24, 2013, 05:52 PM
Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jun 24, 2013, 10:20 AM

Wednesday 6-12 I spent the day in the North End bar hopping.I left for NY early Thursday Morning. Were you in the bar with the Ted Williams abstract paintings? I seem to recall there was someone that I suspected may be a fan of DBT and or MMJ. I was the only one at the show from Cal., and I must have told you I was from the LA area. Manhattan and North End Boston were my favorite city spots I saw in 2 weeks, 9 states of the upper Northeast. I sure got a lot of great photos there. Was the Fenway pic Adrien Beltre's home run swing?Too much of a coincidence on all points for it not to have been me. Check out this thread on the DBT board and see some of my shots, and some other great ones.  http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5441
Yep! That's crazy.  We too loved the North End in Boston but Acadia National Park was the highlight of our trip.  Well I'm glad to hear you had a good vacation! I'll check out your other photos...Cheers!
Jamie

Ruckus

Haha!  I see you weren't sure who took the group shot for this pic on the dbt board.  It was me and since I was seeing three cameras, I just hit the button on the middle one.  I'm just glad I didn't drop that thing.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head