Peanut butter pudding surprise

Started by rincon2, Aug 09, 2013, 02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

I understand many looongtiiime fans don't like Highly Suspicious. The first thing they note is the lyric "Peanut butter pudding surprise". Jim says his grandmother used to make it. Most accounts of this song feel it is about drugs, and the paranoia of police. With all of the edible cannabis available, especially here in California, could it be it is the name of an edible? Sure makes sense in the context of the song. I have seen edible cannabis that is peanut butter flavored, so it just seems so simple to me.   (I tried to find another thread or post addressing this but could not, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. )

mcredder

Haha I like where your heads at, but I'm pretty sure the line is "Peanut butter Pulitzer prize". I can't remember where I saw/read it, but Jim definitely explained it once. Possibly in his reddit AMA.

Also, highly suspicious has always kicked ass live

rincon2

Quote from: mcredder on Aug 09, 2013, 01:42 PM
Haha I like where your heads at, but I'm pretty sure the line is "Peanut butter Pulitzer prize". I can't remember where I saw/read it, but Jim definitely explained it once. Possibly in his reddit AMA.

You're not serious about this are you?

mcredder

Quote from: rincon2 on Aug 09, 2013, 04:51 PM

I remember a video of Jim explaining the lyric as Pulitzer Prize, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Possible I'm just crazy

parkervb

Quote from: mcredder on Aug 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Aug 09, 2013, 04:51 PM

I remember a video of Jim explaining the lyric as Pulitzer Prize, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Possible I'm just crazy

pretty sure he said it was a recipe of something his grandma made or something in AMA.  not that anyone should take it seriously, just some words in a song.  maybe he does say Pulitzer Prize, maybe it's pudding surprise...that's kind of the fun, goofy part of MMJ that we all love.
Don't you ever turn it off

pattilovesmmj

Funny...MMJ and cryptic words in songs................... :beer:

mariashawn

I lived off of Okonokos for years. But there are more songs now and great ones to boot. I'm not sure if I like the 3 night stand at Red Rocks or the 3 night NYE show better, but all 6 shows are in heavy rotation with me right now.  :cheesy:
maria

e_wind

this thread is one gigantic mind fuck
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 17, 2013, 01:22 AM
this thread is one gigantic mind fuck
From not believing what  Jim has said in interviews many times over the years about his grandmother's recipes to the non sequitur of a new poster, it makes you wonder if Tracy wanted to spice things up a little. Well, at least the non sequitur part...

e_wind

i dont even know where to begin..... lyrics about edibles... pulitzer prizes.... shows that didnt happen.... wa wa wee wa
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

APR

Jim has said he picks some words just because of the way they sound (or how they sound together).  So it's possible that this phrase is meaningless except for the words just fit together in that part of the song.

As far as the non sequitur, that adds to the confusion and entertainment value of this thread.

APR

It will be interesting to see what QOTSA plays at bridge and if they join MMJ on stage for any covers.

Fully

Quote from: APR on Sep 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what QOTSA plays at bridge and if they join MMJ on stage for any covers.

Now you're making this thread weirder. LOL. This thread is starting to become the movie Rubber.

Jared

That's what I thought the line was for years! So perhaps I'm not just a bad listener. However in the AMA Jim James's only mention of this topic was to explain the ingredients in a peanut butter pudding surprise, "ok. this is super important... so pay attention, because the ingredients are: 1.peanut 2.butter 3.pudding 4.love."

Fully

There are a plethora of articles circa EU where he talks about this. He even mentions it on Storytellers. It's Peanut Butter Pulitzer Prize. You can go back in the articles about the band thread and find these.

FiddleCastro

Official lyrics: http://mymorningjacket.com/releases/evil_urges

Though he has admitted to changing it to Peanut Butter Pulitzer Prize lately
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

buymycar

Why would he rhyme prize with prize, though?  Pulitzer prize...eye on your prize.

millerjustin

Condoleeza says she wants rice, but Jim keeps feeding her pudding.  Wtf?
What's in here won't disappear

dmooney99

gardenparty

Quote from: APR on Sep 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
Uhh, you know something I don't?  I haven't seen a lineup yet but checking daily