Not So Awesome Albums in 2013

Started by MrWhippy, Aug 13, 2013, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

As a companion to the Awesome Albums thread, I'm wondering what records have come out this year that people think have been let downs or not lived up to expectations.

A big one for me is Ghost on Ghost by Iron and Wine.  After the last album (Kiss Each Other Clean) which was just brilliant in my opinion, I can't get into the new one at all, and I'm not sure exactly why.

Another one for me is the new Steve Earle album, just didn't grab me at all. 

Also, while I like the new Son Volt album better than the last few, it feels pretty dissapointing to me compared to the promise of their first few records.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Come Closer

I actually enjoy the I&W album, but yeah most people seem to be disappointed by it. The new Builders and Butchers is not so awesome, their sound is just tired at this point. Also I was anticipating Bronze Radio Return's new one which turned out to be hot garbage.

Ob1jacobe

was pretty disappointed in the new Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Phoenix.  I don't think they are bad but i had pretty high expectations and have not really comeback to them much after release.

MrWhippy

Good point on being dissapointed with the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  I think I forgot it even existed based on how small of an impression it made on me.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ManNamedTruth

Ghost on Ghost is excellent. My favorites are still The Shepherd's Dog and Our Endless Numbered Days, but I like this one a little more than Kiss Each Other Clean.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dmooney99

I think i only bought about 25 albums or so this year.  Most of them are pretty solid.  Some disappointing ones:

Alice In Chains- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

Probably my least fav AIC album, not that bad though.  Most of the songs sounded the same but it does get slightly better with each listen

The Strokes- Comedown Machine

Well it was better than their last album.   There are some decent songs on it.  Might be better if i heard them live.  Wish they would tour  :cry:

Palma Violets- 180

Again not a bad album, just never got into it.  They were great live though when i saw them

Surfer Blood- Pythons

Liked their first album a lot.  This one was ok.  Probably need to lsiten to it more. 

Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Phoenix.  Not as good as I had hoped but not too bad  :undecided:

Jeff Murray

Some albums I bought that didn't live up to expectations....

Josh Ritter - The Beast In It's Tracks - Nothing really caught my ear on this one... I still put it on while I'm reading to see if I change my mind.

The Builders and the Butchers - Western Medicine - Too much of the same sound...

JJ Grey and Mofro - This River - So far this album has yet to capture my attention... I'll keep giving it spins hoping it's just not clicking with my mood...

Albums I was psyched for but never bought...

Alice In Chains - Was afraid it would be the same old same old and found out it was... Jerry really needs to let the lead singer lead the vocals... his over harmonizing gets on my nerves still.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Nothing I read or saw made me go out to buy this album... bummer because seeing them live back in the day is one of my favorite shows...
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Murph

I really like every Camera Obscura album and was very excited to see that they were finally releasing something new, but Desire Lines just hasnt done it for me.  I guess I havent listened to it enough, but again thats just because I cant get into it.  Even with Jims' oohs and aahhs on one track

Come Closer

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 21, 2013, 04:36 PM
Dawes
I like it. I'm not sure about one or two songs but I really like a lot of them. I was just listening to it today actually. That song Someone Will sounds a lot like Golden.
How loud can silence get?

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Murph

kvgq420

Bowie, Daft Punk, The National, Deerhunter

Fully

I really like Daft Punk's and The National's albums, but everyone had their own taste.

kotchishm

Quote from: Murph on Aug 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on Aug 22, 2013, 11:23 AM
New Deer Tick....WOOF

Whoa whoa whoa... please explain

It leaked.  It's on exystence.net.  I only liked two songs.  I just could not get into at all. 
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

Quote from: kotchishm on Aug 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
New Deer Tick....WOOF

It leaked.  It's on exystence.net.  I only liked two songs.  I just could not get into at all.
Yeah I've listened to it a bunch now and it is underwhelming.  McCauley has become such a cheese ball.  Some of his lyrics flat out suck.  While rob adds a lot of depth and variety to their live sound, I just miss chords picked out on a Strat with raw melodies.  The two highlights are actually Ian and Dennis' tracks.  It's not bad but less than what I expected.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Shug

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Aug 20, 2013, 08:38 PM

JJ Grey and Mofro - This River - So far this album has yet to capture my attention... I'll keep giving it spins hoping it's just not clicking with my mood...

Me, too.  I LOVE JJ live and still think he's a national treasure musically, but this album is leaving me flat.

Also the latest from the Mother Hips is a big disappointment to me.  They are just getting too mellow and too far away from their roots for my tastes.  This new record makes their last two seem like the good old days. And they are only in their 40s.  If Wilco can play, at times, as hard and agressively as they do, there is no reason the Hips can't either.  I just went into a critique of them live as well as in the studio, off topic, sorry, but its true.  Too mellow live and on record.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Murph

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
New Deer Tick....WOOF

Yeah I've listened to it a bunch now and it is underwhelming.  McCauley has become such a cheese ball.  Some of his lyrics flat out suck.  While rob adds a lot of depth and variety to their live sound, I just miss chords picked out on a Strat with raw melodies.  The two highlights are actually Ian and Dennis' tracks.  It's not bad but less than what I expected.

Damn that is disheartening to hear.  I did love Divine Providence though and I know a lot of people here werent feeling that one either, so who knows...

manonthemoon

Quote from: Murph on Aug 23, 2013, 03:54 PM
New Deer Tick....WOOF

Damn that is disheartening to hear.  I did love Divine Providence though and I know a lot of people here werent feeling that one either, so who knows...

Sad to hear that, I really loved War Elephant and the Tim ep they had out a year or so ago.  Was hoping for more of the same, but now I am lowering expectations.
Alive or Just Breathing

kotchishm

Quote from: manonthemoon on Aug 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
Quote from: Murph on Aug 23, 2013, 03:54 PM
New Deer Tick....WOOF

Sad to hear that, I really loved War Elephant and the Tim ep they had out a year or so ago.  Was hoping for more of the same, but now I am lowering expectations.

Sorry I shouldn't have said anything and let everyone go into it with an open opinion.