One Big Holiday stalks me on the internet

Started by Seeker, Aug 14, 2013, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker

Maybe it's because I go to this site sometimes....I must have left digital cookie crumbs, because I am seeing ads for One Big Holiday almost everywhere I surf on the Net. Surely others have noticed this. It a somewhat sophisticated marketing strategy beyond my knowledge.

Charles

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: Seeker on Aug 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's because I go to this site sometimes....I must have left digital cookie crumbs, because I am seeing ads for One Big Holiday almost everywhere I surf on the Net. Surely others have noticed this. It a somewhat sophisticated marketing strategy beyond my knowledge.

Charles
I also keep seeing it, and it kind of bums me out because it makes me remember that I can't afford to go with college tuition for my kids due.   :undecided:

itrainmonkeys

Most ads on sites are influenced by your activity/searches/etc.   I get MMJ stuff at times too. At least it's for something I genuinely enjoy, though  :thumbsup:

gluvmiller

So funny. My wife grabbed me the other day in her office to show me where she would get One Big Holiday ads in random websites related to education as she was doing work for her preschool. She thought it was so cool until I told her it is due to the fact she has researched that site on that computer and thus the ad space on various sites is influenced by other sites she has searched.

buster douglas

I work in online advertising and can definitely confirm that you are all being re-targeted.

The magic of cookies! :cheesy:

Fully

Yeah, I know why I get them, but it feels like OBH is trying to convince me to go and it's stalking me. I want to go, but it's not possible for me. It would be nice if that ad would quit trying to seduce me. I know how easy I am and have always been. This saying no and sticking to it is difficult. Particularly with an attractive green banner ad with a sombrero and promises of Jim, Carl,Patrick, Bo, and Tom in a hotel in Cancun in the middle of winter.....next the damn ad will start playing IWSYS along with video of Jim stroking off his guitar and mic stand.

Crispy

Hooray for AdBlock!

Meanwhile, it appears this thread may be the place for all of us unfortunates to commiserate about not being able to go.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

We definitely need a thread for that, Crispy.

johnnYYac

I kinda like the ads constantly appearing, as a reminder to my wife that I am not even suggesting that I/we go.

Perhaps those of us not going can pour sand in our ass cracks, get diarrhea, and drink ourselves to a brutal hangover while watching Okonokos on a weekday in late January.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 14, 2013, 06:53 PM
I kinda like the ads constantly appearing, as a reminder to my wife that I am not even suggesting that I/we go.

Perhaps those of us not going can pour sand in our ass cracks, get diarrhea, and drink ourselves to a brutal hangover while watching Okonokos on a weekday in late January.

I'd take a personal day for that, Yac. Minus the diarrhea. There has to be something that gives us an advantage.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Fully on Aug 14, 2013, 09:39 PM

I'd take a personal day for that, Yac. Minus the diarrhea. There has to be something that gives us an advantage.
Good point!  Well, those of us not going will avoid spending a minimum of $2000 for this, so we should live it up during those four nights... Lavish dinners, fine wine and great beer. Some live MMJ... maybe one night of Port Chester for each night of OBH. Maybe an Okonokos or Red Rocks viewing party, with chat or Skype or FaceTime. HA!  I just typed Oko and my phone auto corrected it to its full name. My phone knows me.

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 14, 2013, 10:32 PM
Quote from: Fully on Aug 14, 2013, 09:39 PM

Good point!  Well, those of us not going will avoid spending a minimum of $2000 for this, so we should live it up during those four nights... Lavish dinners, fine wine and great beer. Some live MMJ... maybe one night of Port Chester for each night of OBH. Maybe an Okonokos or Red Rocks viewing party, with chat or Skype or FaceTime. HA!  I just typed Oko and my phone auto corrected it to its full name. My phone knows me.

Count me in for this, but I think we should go for the full absentee experience, getting plastered on cheap Mexican beer like Modelo (not Corona, for fuck's sake) and downing some of the Enchiladas Suizas I made a while back in which the sauce was mistakenly made with a salsa verde that had jalapenos as its primary ingredient rather than tomatillos. The pain will be worth the camaraderie.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

zanjam

Gah!  These ads are KEELING MEE!  And I can tell you I only went to the main OBH site probably the first day it was announced, to get info on how to reserve a room (which I didn't  :cry:  )

I've got money on both Fully and Crispy caving.  And while I say I'm definitely not going, stranger things have happened.  I may be a wild card as well.

It's totally going to suck, right?
anything + reverb always = better

johnnYYac

No.  Its going to be amazing...

wish I could go

Fully

I'm not eating your jalapeño salsa verde, Crispy. I got heartburn just reading about it.  But we should definitely have an online meetup to cry, drink, and  read our texts from people who are there making. Nevermind, they'll be too busy having fun to text. We can have an MMJ show video marathon.

Zanjam-no caving here. Teachers cannot take an entire week off school. The only way it would be possible would be if I had some type of surgery. It would be hard to explain the tan that I returned from the hospital with. I'll just have to be content with miserably listening to everyone discuss how much fun they had when they get back or post on here. But I can do a one day off be kind to myself because I missed this day.

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Aug 15, 2013, 07:24 AM
I'm not eating your jalapeño salsa verde, Crispy. I got heartburn just reading about it.  But we should definitely have an online meetup to cry, drink, and  read our texts from people who are there making. Nevermind, they'll be too busy having fun to text. We can have an MMJ show video marathon.

Zanjam-no caving here. Teachers cannot take an entire week off school. The only way it would be possible would be if I had some type of surgery. It would be hard to explain the tan that I returned from the hospital with. I'll just have to be content with miserably listening to everyone discuss how much fun they had when they get back or post on here. But I can do a one day off be kind to myself because I missed this day.

Fully, you can totally fake a hernia, and just stay indoors and in the shade the whole time you're in Mexico! Or you can virtually share my enchiladas and pain.

Who do have your bets down with, ZJ? I might want some of that action.  :wink:

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 15, 2013, 09:26 AM
Quote from: Fully on Aug 15, 2013, 07:24 AM

Fully, you can totally fake a hernia, and just stay indoors and in the shade the whole time you're in Mexico! Or you can virtually share my enchiladas and pain.

Who do have your bets down with, ZJ? I might want some of that action.  :wink:

It's virtual enchiladas and pain for me. Oh the pain! :tongue:

mahgeetah

Regardless of how expensive this trip would be, I would make it happen... except for the fact that I'm a teacher, and essentially, this would completely screw over my job security if I skipped out on those dates. There's just no way I can do it.

That being said, I am harassed by these advertisements on virtually every single website on every single day. It's as though I'm being constantly told that I chose the wrong career...