Next MMJ album: "without limits...or demos"

Started by logan5ive, Sep 19, 2013, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

QuoteMy Morning Jacket has begun work on their 10th album and Jim James has no idea what it will sound like.

Shit, did they sneak in a few records when I wasn't paying attention?  :grin:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Crispy

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Sep 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
QuoteMy Morning Jacket has begun work on their 10th album and Jim James has no idea what it will sound like.

I NEED THOSE OTHER RECORDS

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 19, 2013, 10:26 AM

I NEED THOSE OTHER RECORDS

:grin:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Stevie

Could someone with more of a musical background please explain what 'not using demos' means?  Thanks.

Stevie

Oh and i'm officially putting my vote in for an album that has the honest and genuine, heartfelt feel of The Tennessee Fire and At Dawn, driven by the kind of raw energy and musicianship of It Still Moves with at times spacey soundscapes in the same vein as Z, all polished and performed to perfection as with Evil Urges and Circuital.  Take all this, and put a little bit of a dark twist on it. 

Thanks in advance, guys.

oistheone

Quote from: Stevie on Sep 19, 2013, 04:00 PM
Could someone with more of a musical background please explain what 'not using demos' means?  Thanks.

Presumably, Jim will just grab a guitar and play the guys a song or an idea he's come up with, and the band can fill it out from there, bouncing ideas off each other to maximize the creative collaborative process. Jim has recorded demos in the past, ones that are pretty polished and have most of the parts laid out in their entirety, not leaving much room for inter-band creativity. If I recall correctly, I think Jim stopped doing demos somewhere during the recording Circuital.

Also, I am so damn excited that they're recording again. There is no better feeling than that of anticipation of new music from your favorite band.

millerjustin

Hoping Jim can lay some lyrics across Funky Improv Jam from PC1 - that shit was tasty
What's in here won't disappear

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Sep 19, 2013, 04:00 PM

Presumably, Jim will just grab a guitar and play the guys a song or an idea he's come up with, and the band can fill it out from there, bouncing ideas off each other to maximize the creative collaborative process. Jim has recorded demos in the past, ones that are pretty polished and have most of the parts laid out in their entirety, not leaving much room for inter-band creativity. If I recall correctly, I think Jim stopped doing demos somewhere during the recording Circuital.

Also, I am so damn excited that they're recording again. There is no better feeling than that of anticipation of new music from your favorite band.

Exactly! It's pretty interesting, collected some quotes about it:

Quote"For Z and Evil Urges we did three or so weeks of the five of us workin' on stuff. For this record we skipped all of that completely and we just went right in the studio with Tucker Martine and our friend, Kevin Ratterman who's an engineer and producer in Louisville. So it was the seven of us and we just started working kind of from the demos and rough ideas and recording everything as we were sorting through the parts."
- Carl
"We just set up shop without really knowing what it was going to be or what we were going to get. It ended up being really a good thing. Without having the heavy, weighted expectations on it, it ended up allowing us to be free and enjoy the moment and have fun and hang in the studio together trying to get takes because we had not even rehearsed any songs yet. It was super-rough demos that we were working off of. I think it put us all in a good head space."
- Bo

Quote"It took us a little while to get used to it, 'cause you're like, "I don't know what's going on!" Even if it's literally the first time we've all played it together, everyone's analyzing it – this is good, this is bad, you know, the whole thing. But it's kinda cool because you're already in the process of trying to make it realized. Some people say don't ever make a demo of a song that's too fleshed out – because you'll fall in love with that demo. You'll put a lot of the song's original spiritual intent – too much of it – into it, so by the time you make the real recording, you've wasted a lot of that early energy. It's already gone on this demo somewhere.

This time, I tried to make really loose demos, and it's been a fun way of trying to work them out. I'd always tried to make fairly explained demos, so they knew what I was talking about. A lot of songs are so simple, but there's this other thing going on on top of it. If it's not there I'm just like, "Well, it's just a C chord over and over and over again... You're gonna love it, it's going to be great." But you don't really know until the thing is on top of it."
- Jim
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

dmooney99

:grin: 10?  That's Pearl Jam level there.,  So i guess sometime next year then?  :smiley:

logan5ive

MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

CHIMMJFAN

And so it begins!!!!!!! What a great suprise to hear they have officially started recording the new album!

Pretty great view to look out on while recording.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

armando

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

BigHerm

walterfredo

I haven't been following the info...is the recording location somewhat of a secret?

el_chode

I'm throwing this out there - start saving now for the special vinyl package. I'll plug smarty pig as a great way to pre pay for shit. $10/mo from now til release should cover me
I'm surrounded by assholes

kintante5

Anybody have an estimation of when it's going to be released?

dookie shoot bandit

Right in time for them to be a headliner at bonnaroo !
:beer: :drum: