Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt

Started by sweatboard, Sep 20, 2013, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Anyone heard it?  I'd like to!!  :wink:
There's Still Time.........

APR

Just the two singles, which sound nothing alike.   That makes me optimistic that Lightening Bolt will be great.  I don't think they'll throw any curve balls like MMJ and do something totally out there, different, and awesome (like some later career MMJ stuff, i.e. Touch Me Part 2, Highly Susp, Victory Dance, Black Metal).  That is unless they experiment with different instruments, but PJ tends to stick to guitars, bass, drums.

I'm sure there will be leaks, but I wait for the release.  I'm avoiding reading early reviews as well (except for this thread).

weeniebeenie

I've listened to both Mind Your Manners and Sirens as well. And from that, I have absolutely no idea what to think what the new album will sound like.
How loud can silence get?

dmooney99

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
Anyone heard it?  I'd like to!!  :wink:

I've heard about half the album.  The two "official" singles, the two songs at wrigley live and 3 other songs that got leaked (Getaway, Swallowed Whole, and Let The Records Play). 

Sirens has grown on me .  Loved Mind Your Manners.  Lighting Bolt and Future Days sounded pretty cool at Wrigley.  Out of the 3 leaked songs, Getaway was the best I thought.

he.who.forgets

I've only heard MYM, Sirens (which I too find to be a grower, and I now love), and Lighting Bolt & Future Days (both youtubed from Wrigley). I'm real excited for the album but have tried to keep my expectations relatively low due to Backspacer.

APR

Lightning Bolt, A Short Film by Danny Clinch - Pearl Jam

The above is a Danny Clinch 8 minute film, and the song played at the end while Eddie is in the car sounds like a real stand out, awesome one.

tdb810

Loved this! Great exposire for Danny too!
.....Back at the Model Home

parkervb

the first question from Steve Gleason was the best!
Don't you ever turn it off

subinai

anyone have any extras for the brooklyn show?

weeniebeenie

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 27, 2013, 11:53 AM
the first question from Steve Gleason was the best!
Absolutely!

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

Ob1jacobe

Lightning Bolt now streaming on itunes! 

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Oct 07, 2013, 04:53 PM
Lightning Bolt now streaming on itunes!
I wanna listen to it but I think I'm gonna wait till I get the album. If curiosity doesn't kill the cat.

e_wind

Half way through right now.... so far probably better than the last one. Musically it seems more out there than any other pearl jam stuff. I mean that in a good way. Lots of punk, some not so pure rock and roll-y shit. Highlights so far:

Sirens
Infallible
Sleeping By Myself (even though Riot Act forward is the "lesser" years of PJ, all the records of this era have killer accoustic songs)
Yellow Moon.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Come Closer

After a few listens, it's good but a tiny bit spotty. I thought Backspacer flowed better overall, but the highlights on here are more interesting or more out there as you say. I really like Getaway, Sirens, Infallible, Pendulum. Excited to hear some of this stuff live.

dmooney99

:smiley:

I'm digging it a lot.  Really like Getaway, Yellow Moon, Swallowed Whole, Infallible and Mind Your Manners.  Only ones i didn't care for too much were Sleeping By Myself and Future Days.

Clarkwork

To me this may be their best album since Yield, yes that far back.  Just sounds better, lyrics are better, guitars are better, tone is better, just sounds terrific in my humble opinion.  I have been listening non stop since Itunes put it up. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

e_wind

Quote from: Clarkwork on Oct 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
To me this may be their best album since Yield, yes that far back.  Just sounds better, lyrics are better, guitars are better, tone is better, just sounds terrific in my humble opinion.  I have been listening non stop since Itunes put it up.

I can somewhat agree. I don't think I can fairly say that it's better than RA yet because it's so new. We'll see
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

he.who.forgets

I'm about 5 or 6 spins in and I love it.  It's definitely growing on me with each listen. Getaway, My Father's Son, Sirens, Infallible, Pendulum, and Yellow Moon are the standouts for me.  I cant seem to get into Swallowed Whole...probably the only "skipper" on the album for me. I like the way that they arranged Sleeping By Myself and Future Days is a very pretty song.  Really looking forward to the live treatment in a couple weeks.

Clarkwork

Going to see PJ in Charlotte next week, after seeing them a ton of times in the 90's I realized it's been 13 years since I've last seen them live.  Can't wait to see them again
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....