Obsessed much?

Started by erinburk, Nov 19, 2013, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erinburk

Hi.
MMJ is my all-time favorite band and most days I feel like the only person in the world who appreciates them to such an extent. That's all I will say on the subject, otherwise I'll sound like a crazy obsessed fan girl.
But I'm just trying to find other people who agree. It may have to do with my age but I rarely come across a person who has even heard of Jim James or MMJ and have met about 3 people who actually own music by them.
Basically I feel very alone whenever I listen to their music because no one else seems to care while it speaks to me so powerfully. Please tell me I'm not the only one...

walterfredo

Unfortunately you probably will not find any other obsessed fans around here. 

tbear

My friend, D, and I have listened to the Porchester shows so much over the last several months, that I am seriously thinking that we need an intervention  - pronto.

We are a obsessed as were when we were teenagers and the sun rose and set with the Grateful Dead.

No, you are not alone.

johnnYYac

Welcome, Erin!  Check your email and/or PM for more...  :beer:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: erinburk on Nov 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hi.
MMJ is my all-time favorite band and most days I feel like the only person in the world who appreciates them to such an extent. That's all I will say on the subject, otherwise I'll sound like a crazy obsessed fan girl.
But I'm just trying to find other people who agree. It may have to do with my age but I rarely come across a person who has even heard of Jim James or MMJ and have met about 3 people who actually own music by them.
Basically I feel very alone whenever I listen to their music because no one else seems to care while it speaks to me so powerfully. Please tell me I'm not the only one...

Everyone around here is wildly obsessed.  I understand how you feel though.  Besides my older brother, I cannot get anyone to listen to them IRL.

Welcome to the board!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

parkervb

you've come to the right place... :smiley:

one thing I will say is that I feel kinda fortunate that I have such a strong connection to this band and their music where most of my friends don't have a personal connection with music.

think about it like this Mitch Hedberg joke just replace shaving with listening to MMJ:

Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Don't you ever turn it off

adam_pliskow

scosby2

Hi.

Now this is a first post...welcome and be prepared...you are among friends...now look up one big holiday and come to Mexico and ye shall see if first hand...it truly is a sight to behold

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

vespachick

I didn't listen to any other music for an entire year when I got bit. Literally. Welcome to the freak show Erin!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

LeanneP

Nope, definitely not alone!

This is obsessed fan central! 

I get absolutely giddy over the band. My friends make fun of me all the time for referencing the band as if they were cousins I was telling funny stories about. I went for a year where I just couldn't listen to anything else except MMJ and related projects. I'm slowly coming back in balance, but it's a rare day when I don't listen to at least one song.

Welcome  :beer:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

bartel

lpkell2145

Welcome to the world of cray cray MMJ fans! You're definitely not alone. Sometimes I think I love that band more than life itself. See? Issues. And no one judges 'cause they're the same way. :)

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

20 times I wish you'd understand...

Fully

All we ask us that you don't buy an omnichord. Once that happens there's no going back.

Sent from my couch using a spaghetti strainer

gluvmiller

I have certainly found myself more obsessed as time goes by. I don't know if I would go so far to say I'm as obsessed as when i was introduced to the Grateful Dead as a young teenager, but 30 years later, it's not really a proper comparison. But, I am paying to take my family of 5 to Mexico for OBH. We're now crunching numbers to see about taking my mother in law to help with the kids while we party to the wee hours. My 13 year old girl has MMJ on her ipod and I hear her singing along in her room. My 5 year old son LOVES Jim James and I can't wait to take to see them on the beach. He is going to freak out when he realizes Jim James wears a cape. This will escalate his super hero status. And to your point about no one else you know even realizes this band exists, well that is why my wife and I have worked to expose our kids. If we don't do it, they could miss out on a band I'm not afraid to compare to Led Zepplin mixed with Pink Floyd and the Doors. And really, if you think about the origins of these bands (at least LZ and Floyd) they were very undeground and didn't get the deserved recognition until the test of time. I mean, look at the fact MMJ sells out multiple nights of red rocks and goes completely unnoticed. I live minutes from red rocks and people around here don't have a clue what they're missing. Anyway, welcome to the obsessed. It's good to have company  :evil:

johnnYYac

Quote from: Fully on Dec 05, 2013, 06:02 AM
All we ask us that you don't buy an omnichord. Once that happens there's no going back.

Sent from my couch using a spaghetti strainer
Tru dat!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LB

Hi.

Well well....... :thumbsup: do not fret, I have felt like this for 7 years now. When I was first introduced to MMJ by my high school friends, we all loved it....but they reached a limit lol....I always wonder if I am the only one that listens to their music EVERYDAY, ALL DAY...
no you never gotta fight with me

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 19, 2013, 06:06 PM

Erin?

Erin?

Did jYac back up the dump truck and bury you?
I knew he should have tied a rope to your ankle.

BTW, I can relate to all the obsessions above so, I guess I, too, am obsessed.

And, speaking of obsessions, I think SBB's wonderful opus on the "At Dawn Album Cover" thread probably belongs over here.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 16, 2014, 10:37 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 19, 2013, 06:06 PM

Erin?

Erin?

Did jYac back up the dump truck and bury you?
I knew he should have tied a rope to your ankle.

BTW, I can relate to all the obsessions above so, I guess I, too, am obsessed.

And, speaking of obsessions, I think SBB's wonderful opus on the "At Dawn Album Cover" thread probably belongs over here.

Haha, thanks Rob, I guess I am obsessed... obsessed with telling the truth! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Jamison

I love MMJ / Jim but my obsession is with Jerry Garcia. I understand what your saying when you ask folks if they have heard OF MMJ but try finding folks that are not your closest friends (folks that toured) that listen to GD or Jerry Garcia Band or any thing else with Jerry.  Its almost impossible to find anyone that really gets lost and found again in Jerry's voice.  Jim is the only other singer that has taken me away like Jerry does.  I hope that I don't sound like total lunatic but then again maybe other folks have had similar experiences.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Fully

Quote from: Jamison on Jan 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
I love MMJ / Jim but my obsession is with Jerry Garcia. I understand what your saying when you ask folks if they have heard OF MMJ but try finding folks that are not your closest friends (folks that toured) that listen to GD or Jerry Garcia Band or any thing else with Jerry.  Its almost impossible to find anyone that really gets lost and found again in Jerry's voice.  Jim is the only other singer that has taken me away like Jerry does.  I hope that I don't sound like total lunatic but then again maybe other folks have had similar experiences.

We understand here. There are lots of Deadheads around this place. If you go to the Other Music section, you'll find a huge dead thread.