Main Menu

Bob Dylan

Started by Murph, Nov 19, 2013, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

This ridiculously awesome music video needed its own thread....

http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Mr. White

Quote from: Murph on Nov 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
This ridiculously awesome music video needed its own thread....

http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Pretty Cool!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Shug

That is a cool video, how did they do that?

Also quite a good article on Blood On The Tracks.  That guy is on it, singling out killer tracks like the Hard Rain live version of Idiot Wind and Where Are You Tonight from Street Legal and noting how great the live album Before The Flood is.  I also never agreed with the folks who think the unreleased New York sessions for Blood On The Tracks songs were better than what was released.  The Minnesota sessions are way more intense, IMO, and its validating to hear one of the session musician's say why: they were trying to get a Highway 61 Revisted sound.

Best Dylan album of the 70s: Blood On The Tracks
Best Dylan album of the 90s: Time Out Of Mind
Clearly these are high-water marks for his artistry.

We've discussed this before, but I never get tired of it.  In my opinion:

Best Dylan album of the 60s: 3 way tie between Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde
Best Dylan album of the 80s: Infidels

Plenty of solid stuff in between and plenty of fantastic unreleased stuff that has since come out in the bootleg series or on Biograph.  When I sit back and consider the scope of his output, his genius still blows me away.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

YimYodd

:huh: :huh: :huh:
I'm a lifelong Dylan fan and I also have enjoyed posts from all of you above over the years, but I don't see the coolness or awesomeness here.
Is it sarcastic or ironic or mildly humorous or ???????
Am I missing something other than the fact that it took quite a bit of effort for someone to create this?
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Murph

Quote from: YimYodd on Nov 30, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'm a lifelong Dylan fan and I also have enjoyed posts from all of you above over the years, but I don't see the coolness or awesomeness here.
Am I missing something other than the fact that it took quite a bit of effort for someone to create this?

I've read posts all over the internet about people not liking the video and it's a sellout thing to do and blah blah blah.  In my opinion it's so awesome because it's honestly a one of a kind type video as of now.  And let's face it, if you're going to make a music video like nobody has seen before, is there any better song than 'Like a Rolling Stone'?  Also, I know it's not the same song, but it instantly reminded me of the famous Dylan video where he's holding the lyric cards, so I kind of view it as a modern update on that. 

Shug

Quote from: YimYodd on Nov 30, 2013, 11:24 AM

Well, since you've thrown down the gauntlet....

To me its cool in some sub-conscious way like lots of Dylan's lyrics are, I don't know for sure what they are "about" or mean, but I know that there is something going on that is important and true.

Maybe its a commentary on how universal the significance of Dylan's lyrics can be, because anyone in the world, even the most unlikely people are seen to be singing them?  And maybe its a ironic that some of the worst parts of our materialistic culture that television broadcasts and commercials and news media propagate are, in this video, the very ones delivering the scathing indictment while they ignorantly smile?

Maybe its bringing Dylan's music into a contemporary context which shows maybe ever more than ever before the incredible cultural genius of his music and how important his vision still is today?

Sorry for the inarticulate ramble, best I could do off the top of my head.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"