Main Menu

Outkast

Started by oistheone, Nov 21, 2013, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Outkast is the shit.

The news/speculation of a reunion has sent me to levels of excitement previously reserved only for the birth of my child or my winning of the lottery.

Whether or not this dream tour ends up actually happening, I think we can agree that the Outkast output speaks for itself. They had the hits, they had the albums, they had the mystique. They had the groove, they had the rhymes and MAN did they have the flow!

Crazy to think that "Hey Ya!" was released ten years ago. What a monster fuckin' hit. No wonder Andre doesn't want to tour -- who needs to when you're still gettin' those cheques?! [Fun fact -- Andre wrote, produced and played every instrument on that track]

What's your favorite Outkast tune? Album?

Hard to beat the laid-back funk flow of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, but Aquemini is one of my favorite albums ever, and appropriately, I've been obsessed with Da Art of Storytelling Pt. 1 lately -- check out this sick performance from Paris:

http://youtu.be/7udMWUmTHbc?t=40s

Goddamn I love these guys. Music Gods, I pray to you -- let this reunion materialize!

dookie shoot bandit

:thumbsup:
I just read this over on pitchfork, and then saw this...
Supposedly supposed to start the festival circuit, starting with Coachella.

Song= player's ball
Album= gotta be stankonia (just a complete album)

But hard to choose from such goodness

Come Closer

Outkast was great. Favorite album is either ATLiens or Aquemini. I really can't pick a favorite song, or even a top 5.

Mahgeetah34

It seems like Coachella has already got Outkast. If Bonnaroo messes this one up...pssch.

Outkast - Elevator (Me & You)

Jaimoe

Andre is getting raves for his portayal of Jimi Hendrix in the new biopic. I can't wait to see it and I have no doubt that he can do up the great Hendrix to near perfection.

oistheone

Because of the ultra laid-back vibe, it took me a while to get into ATLiens, but once you penetrate it's groove-laden forcefield, it's hard to escape. Definitely ranks high on my "ultimate chill" album rankings. And it's hard to find a better late-album one-two punch than "Decatur Psalm" and "Millenium" -- oh man, I'm getting chilled out just thinking about it.

Outkast - Millenium

he.who.forgets

ATLiens is one of my favorite albums of any genre of all time.  It's a deserted island album, if you will.  Aquemeni and Southernplayalistic, are real close for 2nd.  I'm usually not into live hip hop but did see these dudes 2 or 3 times while in HS years ago.  So are they rumored to be making new music or just touring? 

oistheone

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Nov 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
ATLiens is one of my favorite albums of any genre of all time.  It's a deserted island album, if you will.  Aquemeni and Southernplayalistic, are real close for 2nd.  I'm usually not into live hip hop but did see these dudes 2 or 3 times while in HS years ago.  So are they rumored to be making new music or just touring?

All speculation at this point, but according to reports, looks like it'll just be a tour. The payday is too good to turn down, I imagine. One run through the festival circuit and there's your retirement fund!

capt. scotty

I cant really pick a favorite album. Love Southernplayalistic, ATLiens, and Aquemini.

While their biggest hits and best selling albums came in this century, and I by no means think those albums are bad, I just think their 90's output was on another level and those 3 above albums are some of the best in hip hop ever.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

he.who.forgets

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 04, 2013, 02:45 PM
I cant really pick a favorite album. Love Southernplayalistic, ATLiens, and Aquemini.

While their biggest hits and best selling albums came in this century, and I by no means think those albums are bad, I just think their 90's output was on another level and those 3 above albums are some of the best in hip hop ever.
Cant agree more

oistheone

Highly recommended reading for any Outkast fans 'round here:

http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/2010/07/making-of-outkasts-aquemini.html

A massive, in-depth, track-by-track feature on the making of Aquemini. Amazing stuff!

I can just picture Raekwon and Big Boi, drunk on Hennessey as they drop their "Skew It On the Bar B" verses in the booth together.

oistheone

Also, am I the only one going crazy with anticipation for this tour? I think about it every fucking day.

he.who.forgets

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 24, 2014, 06:54 PM
Highly recommended reading for any Outkast fans 'round here:

http://weblog.liberatormagazine.com/2010/07/making-of-outkasts-aquemini.html

A massive, in-depth, track-by-track feature on the making of Aquemini. Amazing stuff!

I can just picture Raekwon and Big Boi, drunk on Hennessey as they drop their "Skew It On the Bar B" verses in the booth together.
great read, thanks for sharing!

oistheone

Did anyone else catch their Coachella performance? I stayed up until the early hours of Saturday morning to watch -- despite the fact I had to work at 8AM -- and I thought the show was fucking amazing! Everything exceeded my expectations -- they had a fucking tight as shit band, Andre and Big Boi were boppin' side by side like in the old days, and played  a balls-to-the-wall setlist laden with hit after hit! I was shocked to wake up a few hours later to see an overwhelming majority of negative reviews! What gives!? I'm still pumped as ever for the Summer of Outkast!!