Gov't Mule 'Shout' Out to All-Stars On New Album

Started by ChiefOKONO, Jul 11, 2013, 03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJCOBRA

preorders are up below:

http://mule.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=268_62030&pc=GM42COMBO

Here's the description w/ tracklist:

The concept for the two-disc collection emerged organically as the band members considered how to best approach the songs. Haynes wasn't even certain "Funny Little Tragedy" belonged on a Gov't Mule album. "Not only is it different from anything Gov't Mule's ever done, it kind of reminded me of The Attractions or The Clash." With that in mind, he asked Elvis Costello for guidance on what kind of vocal mic he should use to get the late '70s-early '80s garage rock sound he was after.

"Elvis sent me a very elaborate response explaining how he recorded this vocal and how he recorded that vocal, going all the way back to My Aim is True," recalls Warren. "I was really happy to get his response and I wound up using the Shure SM58, which is about a $100 microphone, and it turned out great. That was the first seed that was planted for Shout! because from that point forward I started thinking it would be cool to hear Elvis sing this tune."

Haynes and Danny Louis had written "Scared to Live" as a Beatles-esque ballad, but Gordie Johnson, who co-produced four of the tracks with Haynes, suggested they approach it as a reggae song. They even added a new section towards the end of the track, which on playback seemed very reminiscent of Toots and the Maytals.

Warren considered asking Toots, who is a friend of his, to sing a part on the song; then was struck by the notion that tilted The Mule towards a two-disc set: What if he went through the new songs and made a list of artists he'd like to hear singing each song? After receiving a resounding "yes" from his band mates, he reached out to the singers, to see if they connected to the material and would consider participating. Haynes went into a New York studio with several of the vocalists and others contributed from afar.

"We've always taken a nontraditional approach to everything we've done, and it works for us," says Haynes. "One of things we're very proud of about this record is that all the songs stand up for themselves and have their own personality. Hopefully, hearing another singer interpret them helps shine even more of a light on the songs and somewhere in that picture people get a glimpse of what Gov't Mule does."

Side 1
1. World Boss
2. No Reward
3. Whisper In Your Soul
4. Captured
5. Scared to Live
6. Stoop So Low
7. Forsaken Savior
8. Done Got Wise
9. When The World Gets Small
10. Funny Little Tragedy
11. Bring on the Music

Side 2
1. Funny Little Tragedy w/ Elvis Costello
2. Stoop So Low w/ Dr. John
3. World Boss w/ Ben Harper
4. Captured w/ Jim James
5. Whisper In Your Soul w/ Grace Potter
6. Scared to Live w/ Toots Hibbert
7. No Reward w/ Glen Hughes
8. Bring on The Music w/ Ty Taylor
9. Forsaken Savior w/ Dave Matthews
10. Done Got Wise w/ Myles Kennedy
11. When The World Gets Small w/ Steve Winwood

yakeroo

Yup just preordered this. I really enjoyed Captured when they played it at Bonnaroo. Kind of had a Pink Floydish vibe. I would have lost my mind had Jim came out and joined Gov't Mule during it.
I wonder if Jim is just singing or playing as well? I would love to hear Jim and Warren jamming together.

justbcuzido

Quote from: mcredder on Aug 06, 2013, 12:06 PM
Can Listen to "Captured" now. Good stuff.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/08/06/hear-govt-mule-and-jim-james-collab-on-captured-exclusive/

Thank you! This is really really good!

I have always wanted to see a bluesier side of MMJ, and with Jims vocals on this, it proves even more that they should. Honest Man is just a teaser for me.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

subinai

Mr. White

Quote from: yakeroo on Jul 12, 2013, 07:41 PM
Yup just preordered this. I really enjoyed Captured when they played it at Bonnaroo. Kind of had a Pink Floydish vibe. I would have lost my mind had Jim came out and joined Gov't Mule during it.
I wonder if Jim is just singing or playing as well? I would love to hear Jim and Warren jamming together.

I agree with this very much! I have it on a CD I made of covers by MMJ and Jim and think it sounds like The Floyd every time. It's not only the guitar parts around the middle, it's also the piano/keyboard stuff that really reminds me of Pink Floyd (Pink Floyd will always be my #1 band, but I'm more proud of MMJ...representing Kentucky and all...).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Stevie

i'm very much liking this song.  wow.  is this what government mule always sounds like?  and the pairing with Jim seems meant to be.  i mean it feels a little like Jacket, but more grown up, and yes more like Pink Floyd which is always good :)

Stevie

In the absence of of new Jacket material, i've really been hooked on this song.  I listened to the rest of the album and I have to say that even without Jim it's the best track on the album.  If they (GM and Jim) ever perform this live i sure as hell hope i'm there to witness it although i realize its probably a very slim chance. 

Stevie