the war on drugs-lost in the dream

Started by ironmike, Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironmike

This is clearly the album if the year.

e_wind

i forgot to listen to it. thanks for the reminder
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Murph

I listened to it a bunch of times now and it certainly lives up the hype. Just a really beautiful record. This guy is such a mastermind in the studio

e-stone

it really is terrific. 

cool article on grantland a few weeks back.  looking forward to catching 'em once again a week from tomorrow.

Ob1jacobe

parkervb

saw where the writer of that Grantland article (Steven Hyden) mentioned that someone on his twitter feed say they hear some Dire Straits in this album.  Can't say they are wrong especially on An Ocean In Between the Waves
Don't you ever turn it off

BH

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 18, 2014, 04:00 PM
saw where the writer of that Grantland article (Steven Hyden) mentioned that someone on his twitter feed say they hear some Dire Straits in this album.  Can't say they are wrong especially on An Ocean In Between the Waves

Totally Dire Straits.  And sometimes Bob Dylan sitting in with Dire Straits.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

wolof7

FAVORITE ALBUM OF 2014 THUS FAR BY FAR
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

I can't even handle 'An Ocean in Between the Waves' best song I've heard in a great long while.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

LBSUNFLWR

Also really liking it. I've only played it 3 times so far, need more listens.
Real Estate is still my favorite album of 2014 so far!

Northern Neighbour

Murph

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 18, 2014, 06:08 PM
I can't even handle 'An Ocean in Between the Waves' best song I've heard in a great long while.

That's how I feel about 'Suffering'

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 18, 2014, 06:03 PM
FAVORITE ALBUM OF 2014 THUS FAR BY FAR

So good!  And yes I hear Dire Straits which is a very good thing.

oistheone

Listened to the first half of this record and I'm really diggin' it. Some great guitar sounds that really build as the songs go on. I really wanna see what this sounds like live. I picked up some tickets for a show in a few weeks, but have no idea what to expect. Has anyone seen any shows recently? What's this touring band looking like?

LBSUNFLWR

I'm going to the show April 11th in Cincinnati. Really looking forward to it.

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 19, 2014, 03:36 PM
Listened to the first half of this record and I'm really diggin' it. Some great guitar sounds that really build as the songs go on. I really wanna see what this sounds like live. I picked up some tickets for a show in a few weeks, but have no idea what to expect. Has anyone seen any shows recently? What's this touring band looking like?

this is from a couple of years ago so things may have changed but this is a killer performance.   From the Slave Ambient album

Live on KEXP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiViK1E_RCk
Don't you ever turn it off

APR

Thanks for bringing this band to my attention.  I listned to them due to these glowing reviews.  Definitely two thumbs up!  I barely scratched the surface of their stuff, but I'm digging it.  I see they're coming to DC so I should be able to catch them in April.

Based on their name, I didin't think they would sound at all like the way that they do.

Murph

I'm seeing them tonight, so Ill let you know

Murph

Quote from: Murph on Mar 20, 2014, 01:37 PM

I'm seeing them tonight, so Ill let you know

Wow.

I gotta say I was pretty skeptical going into this, just how they would translate all that studio magic into a live show, but they. fucking. killed.
There's 6 of em on stage, with 5 guys forming a sort of semi circle behind Adam who was front and center the whole show. Theres at least 2 guitars going at all times, sometimes an acoustic one, one guy in particular playing anything from a sax, trumpet, keyboards, or lap slide guitar. Everyone besides the drummer has some sort of synth set up in front of em and are turning knobs and shit. While it sounds like a shitshow, it just all came together beautifully. 
They played every song off the new album. And for a record in which apparently every inch of every note was placed there specifically by Adam, it was so awesome to see these songs explode and twist and turn. The guy just fucking shreds and everyone in the band is obviously an enormous musician. I swear I thought a mosh pit was gonna break out when they started Baby Missiles, and that was only 3 songs in. 
I always read about New York crowds being lame and 'too cool', but I think we get a bad wrap. People were definitely into it, dancing, bobbing, jumping around like idiots. Great fucking show and I was so happy to see a band whose albums I love, just kill it live.