the war on drugs-lost in the dream

Started by ironmike, Mar 18, 2014, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmooney99

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 02, 2014, 02:21 PM
Quote from: dmooney99 on Jul 23, 2014, 09:08 PM
finally bought slave ambient today.  will give it a listen tomorrow   :smiley:
Me too, dm99. Unfortunately, it arrives just as I'm leaving for two weeks...

Just as good as Lost In A Dream.  Only listened to it once though, will have to give it a few more listens

ffghtrs

I liked Slave Ambient but Lost In The Dream seems more precise and aware of the fact that it is giving me goosebumbs all up and down my spine.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Willard1979

dmooney99

Dammit they played a "secret" show last night at Johnny Brenda's.  With Kurt Vile joining them on a few songs  :angry:

I was at the Gaslight Anthem/Jimmy Eat World show though

parkervb

Just got tickets to see TWOD in a town outside Durham, NC in a what looks to an incredible venue called the Haw River Ballroom.  This might be my last concert roadie til a Jacket tour so looks to be a good one. 
Don't you ever turn it off

pattilovesmmj

I'm listening to Under The Pressure with my sons Dr Dre's.  And when it's done I'm gonna flip the headphones and okay it again.

Shug

They killed it in Los Angeles on Friday night at the Fonda Theater.  It was our second time seeing them, both times on this tour.  The venue was packed and they brought it hard.  They sound like what 80s rock could have been if the songwriting had more substance and emotional depth and the bands had not turned their backs on long guitar solos and jamming. Its an awesome hybrid of 70s and 80s rock. Trance-inducing repetitive rhythms awash in a sheen of synthy keyboards over the top of solid songwriting, passionate vocals and tight ensemble playing. They'll spend four or five minutes in a dreamy low key ambient space and then suddenly explode into a higher gear and commence to rocking out but with a dance club sound. I love this band so much!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Murph

Quote from: Shug on Oct 06, 2014, 01:01 PM
They killed it in Los Angeles on Friday night at the Fonda Theater.  It was our second time seeing them, both times on this tour.  The venue was packed and they brought it hard.  They sound like what 80s rock could have been if the songwriting had more substance and emotional depth and the bands had not turned their backs on long guitar solos and jamming. Its an awesome hybrid of 70s and 80s rock. Trance-inducing repetitive rhythms awash in a sheen of synthy keyboards over the top of solid songwriting, passionate vocals and tight ensemble playing. They'll spend four or five minutes in a dreamy low key ambient space and then suddenly explode into a higher gear and commence to rocking out but with a dance club sound. I love this band so much!

Yep, I feel ya man. I loved Slave Ambient, but Lost in the Dream made me LOVE this band. Seeing them live just solidified it.

Santo

Anybody going to the show tonight at the Fillmore? Mark Kozelek might join him on stage to perform "War On Drugs: Suck My Cock/Sun Kil Moon: Go Fuck Yourself."Either way, the song is set to stream on Sun Kil Moon's website tonight.  Should be a gas if he shows up (or if he doesn't for that matter).

http://pitchfork.com/news/56916-mark-kozelek-challenges-the-war-on-drugs-to-let-him-join-them-onstage/

parkervb

Quote from: Santo on Oct 06, 2014, 07:53 PM
Anybody going to the show tonight at the Fillmore? Mark Kozelek might join him on stage to perform "War On Drugs: Suck My Cock/Sun Kil Moon: Go Fuck Yourself."Either way, the song is set to stream on Sun Kil Moon's website tonight.  Should be a gas if he shows up (or if he doesn't for that matter).

http://pitchfork.com/news/56916-mark-kozelek-challenges-the-war-on-drugs-to-let-him-join-them-onstage/

here's the track:

http://pitchfork.com/news/56989-here-it-is-mark-kozeleks-song-called-war-on-drugs-suck-my-cock/
Don't you ever turn it off

walterfredo

Shug

Yeah, a total ass-hat engaging in a pathetically desperate attempt to attract attention to himself.  The sooner people stop talking about this, the sooner he will just go away, kinda like an internet troll. 
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Santo

I've definitely jumped on the War on Drugs bandwagon and am not big fan of Sun Kil Moon's music. I understand why people like it, but I find it too monotonous in both lyrical style and musical content. That being said, I've actually enjoyed reading about the WOD/SKM beef. It seems intentionally Dylan-esque, and it's definitely a ploy to get attention. He is being a classless a-hole, who is trolling by writing a sophomoric song, but that's the point.  Kozelek was clear that it's not personal and it's a reaction to folks getting bent out of shape about his stage banter. I was hoping that he would show up last night (I wasn't there, but I assume he didn't). I also respect the War on Drugs for not engaging and letting it run its course. I don't know, maybe I just watched too much WWF as a kid.

Crispy

Quote from: Santo on Oct 07, 2014, 02:46 PM
I've definitely jumped on the War on Drugs bandwagon and am not big fan of Sun Kil Moon's music. I understand why people like it, but I find it too monotonous in both lyrical style and musical content. That being said, I've actually enjoyed reading about the WOD/SKM beef. It seems intentionally Dylan-esque, and it's definitely a ploy to get attention. He is being a classless a-hole, who is trolling by writing a sophomoric song, but that's the point.  Kozelek was clear that it's not personal and it's a reaction to folks getting bent out of shape about his stage banter. I was hoping that he would show up last night (I wasn't there, but I assume he didn't). I also respect the War on Drugs for not engaging and letting it run its course. I don't know, maybe I just watched too much WWF as a kid.

That's a good take on this. I LOVE Kozelek's work (though not so much his recent stuff), but the guy is coming across as a real asshole when he's mostly joking -- and his jokes are falling flat because of the meanness he's injecting. He needs to get a grip and shut the fuck up himself.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

millerjustin

What's in here won't disappear

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 07, 2014, 02:59 PM
That's a good take on this. I LOVE Kozelek's work (though not so much his recent stuff), but the guy is coming across as a real asshole when he's mostly joking -- and his jokes are falling flat because of the meanness he's injecting. He needs to get a grip and shut the fuck up himself.

I love Kozelek as a singer song writer.  I got into him this year based on the positive rviews for benji, which is an amazing peace of work but is very hard to embrace.  I think his early work as Red House Painter is amazing and a lot of board members would really like it.  Lot more melodies and choruses then later work, more easily accessible.

With that said i think he is joke is too mean spirited and are indeed coming off flat.  If I was
WOD i would say nothing or simple: "I like Sun Kil Moon's Music but Mark's recent behavior reminds me of assholes.  That is not a criticism just an observation."

APR

Its an awesome hybrid of 70s and 80s rock. Trance-inducing repetitive rhythms awash in a sheen of synthy keyboards over the top of solid songwriting, passionate vocals and tight ensemble playing. They'll spend four or five minutes in a dreamy low key ambient space and then suddenly explode into a higher gear and commence to rocking out but with a dance club sound. I love this band so much!

So true and so well said.  Under the Pressure is my favorite song of the year by far.

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: APR on Oct 09, 2014, 09:16 PM
Its an awesome hybrid of 70s and 80s rock. Trance-inducing repetitive rhythms awash in a sheen of synthy keyboards over the top of solid songwriting, passionate vocals and tight ensemble playing. They'll spend four or five minutes in a dreamy low key ambient space and then suddenly explode into a higher gear and commence to rocking out but with a dance club sound. I love this band so much!

So true and so well said.  Under the Pressure is my favorite song of the year by far.

pattilovesmmj

whoops
under the pressure is my favorite as well