Tennessee Fire and At Dawn Reissues

Started by Santo, Apr 21, 2014, 11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Got my AD today. Super pleased with it. Sounds much nicer than the ISM print I have.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

ajclements004

If you live in the Louisville area, Guestroom records has 500 copies of these two reissues!  I just got both of them!!!!

Mr. White

Quote from: ajclements004 on May 06, 2014, 12:46 PM
If you live in the Louisville area, Guestroom records has 500 copies of these two reissues!  I just got both of them!!!!

Thanks a lot, ajclements004! Last Thursday, I had placed an order for At Dawn with Matt Anthony's Record Shop, but after he had time to check on it, he couldn't get it any cheaper than he could from Darla Records (the same as any of us). I then headed to Guestroom Records on Frankfort Ave. and snagged my copy of At Dawn (I had gotten The Tennessee Fire a couple of summers ago at Grimey's in Nashville). Thanks again!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

EverythingChanges

I haven't bothered checking since I already own the MP3's.  I'll check next time I'm home if I can remember.

ajclements004

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 07, 2014, 02:09 PM
I haven't bothered checking since I already own the MP3's.  I'll check next time I'm home if I can remember.

i figured it out.

rincon2

Just fleshed out my MMJ vinyl LP collection. Picked up At Dawn, TF, Evil Urges and Acoustic C. Now I will have all main albums and 2 Eps on the precious plastic. Damn I need Okonokos on vinyl. Also picked up the Christmas album and the Yim Yames Harrison CD's. Good thing I don't do coke or meth. I might lose control.

rincon2

I have had bad luck with my MMJ vinyl purchases, regarding scratches and other noises. I recently received TF and At Dawn. Not only are they far better sounding than the rest of their albums, they have NO NOISE at all. TF is great, but At Dawn is the single best vinyl I have ever heard, and I started collecting in 1973. I inherited hundreds of Mosaic limited editions high quality jazz vinyl, most of it unplayed, and At Dawn blows it all away.

gardenparty

walterfredo

is evil urges available on vinyl anywhere these days?

rincon2

Quote from: gardenparty on May 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
the reissues or the OP's?
If that is directed at me, they are the ones from the link at the tp of this thread. As for the EU question, I paid for a vinyl copy on that site a month ago, has not shipped yet.

Crispy

Quote from: rincon2 on May 21, 2014, 02:06 AM
I have had bad luck with my MMJ vinyl purchases, regarding scratches and other noises. I recently received TF and At Dawn. Not only are they far better sounding than the rest of their albums, they have NO NOISE at all. TF is great, but At Dawn is the single best vinyl I have ever heard, and I started collecting in 1973. I inherited hundreds of Mosaic limited editions high quality jazz vinyl, most of it unplayed, and At Dawn blows it all away.

Thank you very much for prompting me to purchase my fourth copies of each of these records.  :beer:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

Quote from: walterfredo on May 21, 2014, 11:46 AM

I found mine at a local record store. But I think that was the last copy. MMJ records are in short supply these days.

Santo

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 21, 2014, 03:24 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on May 21, 2014, 11:46 AM

I found mine at a local record store. But I think that was the last copy. MMJ records are in short supply these days.

I bought mine off the ATO website and it looks like they still have it. Mine came damaged but it plays fine. I have also ordered albums from acousticsounds.com. Both places have horrible shipping prices, but if you buy multiple LPs it is not that bad. BTW, its definitely worth while to pay for the upgraded shipping from Acoustic Sounds. Their base shipping is painfully slow.

rincon2

Quote from: Crispy on May 21, 2014, 02:38 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on May 21, 2014, 02:06 AM

Thank you very much for prompting me to purchase my fourth copies of each of these records.  :beer:
Damn, I better be right! All I know is I had previously never understood the appeal of the song At Dawn. I always thought of it as sort of a mantra to open up a show or the album. On this vinyl there is so much going on, especially the intro, that is just not noticeable on CD. It is almost the difference between visually 2 dimensional versus 3 dimensional. (Circuital remains the worst sounding album I have purchased since I got back int vinyl 3 years ago. Sounds like a popcorn machine.)

Crispy

Sweeet Jeezus, these two new pressings sound GOOD. Now if only they could get the same treatment done on ISM, I could die happy.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

rincon2

Quote from: Crispy on May 26, 2014, 05:05 PM
Sweeet Jeezus, these two new pressings sound GOOD. Now if only they could get the same treatment done on ISM, I could die happy.
Nothing better than being validated when one inspires another to spend money.

tippitoes22

Quote from: Crispy on May 26, 2014, 05:05 PM

A little birdie told me about the only good pressing of ISM on vinyl. It's the original hand numbered up to a 1000, UK pressing from 2003. Night and Day difference between that and the 2008 180g with CD included. 180g grams of a shit pressing is still shit! By the way 180 grams doesn't mean shit unless it's in the right hands. 200 grams is much preferred. It's a flatter surface for your stylus. 180g have(in the wrong hands) tend to be a little concave. Which keeps the stylus from playin straight through those magic groves. If your gonna invest
$25-$250(depending on the album) do some research. Why do you think a lot of artists(Beatles, stones, Otis, etc...)continued to record in mono( and pay more attention to those releases) late into the 1960's when stereo had been around since the early fifties. Mono records were traditionally 140g. No stylus leaning toward the center of the record. Flat playing serface for the tone arm and stylus to get all the sonic goodness in those groves. You can get burned so easily on vinyl these days cuz it's all the rage. People are goin back to analog cuz properly pressed(at the right place)remastered from the original 1/4 inch tapes, sound AMAZING, unfortunately that's not a lotta what's out there. Do some research before you plop down a fistful of youre hard earned cash on something that might sound like rice crispys. And use Paypal. They are you best friend when you wanna return a piece of crap vinyl.

Just one guys opinion, with a few facts to back it up. And yes tube amps RULE! Even if it's just your phono stage. You're ears won't believe the difference. Like listening to music in a warm blanket.

All the best,
Tippitoes

P.S. Will someone put MMJ in touch with Bernie Grundman, Pallas, acoustic sounds, Acous Tech, and RTI. Neil knows em. Somebody tell MMJ to ask Neil.

P.P.S. Does anyone know of a pressing of "Z" that doesn't sound like a cricket in a tin can.
Any help would be much appreciated, not even gonna ask about "Chocolate & Ice"...
PLEASE, PLEASE remaster that. So much good music, that sounds SO bad. Don't care about the color splatter. I'll take a black copy that sounds good any day...
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

ajclements004

I don't know what all the fuss is over these records.  I've got all of them accept Circuital and they all sound fantastic. 

rincon2

Quote from: ajclements004 on May 29, 2014, 11:23 AM
I don't know what all the fuss is over these records.  I've got all of them accept Circuital and they all sound fantastic.
There are a lot of factors involved, some psychological I would guess. Many new vinyl I have bought just has soo much surface noise. At Dawn has ZERO. The vocals sound like an orb floating in the middle of my living room. Between songs there is absolute nothing to hear. I have never owned an album like that. Z , ISM, Chocolate and Ice, are absolutely nothing special. Circuital on vinyl was a criminal scam.