Main Menu

Keene, NH

Started by getinthevan, Jun 05, 2014, 01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getinthevan

Within the next couple months, my wife and I will be relocating from Denver to the Keene, New Hampshire area so she can start a grad program.  I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area and may be able to tell me a bit about it.  Places to check out, good places for food or drink, places to avoid, where to live, where not to live, which ski resorts are worth it, etc.  She has spent a little time in the area, but I've never been there.  As far as I can tell, there's one record store and one brewery, I suppose that's a start!
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

GO4IT

Ms GO4IT's relatives settled around Keene after they arrived in New England in the 1600s and the Indians drove them out of Maine in the 1700s.  Her grandfather was a foreman in the mills there back in the day and her father and mother grew up and met there.  That's probably not much help in answering your questions, but I couldn't help relate that history.  It's a nice town in a pretty area of the country.  There's a lot to like about the area, especially if you appreciate the outdoors.

johnnYYac

Well, I'm a New Hampshire native AND went to Keene State for graduate school.   :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I still don't have a lot to offer.   :undecided:

I commuted while getting my masters in Educational Leadership as a full-time high school assistant principal, so I mostly spent time in a few buildings on campus and the roads between Keene State and our home in Hillsborough. 

I spent most of my earlier days in Franklin, Durham (UNH), Newmarket, Portsmouth, Concord, Laconia, and Hillsborough.  Still, Keene is a beautiful little town, with a great theater (The Colonial) where Jim and Carl performed an amazing free show for the Obama campaign in 2012. 

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,16600.0.html

You're near a lot; 1-2 hours from Manchester, Boston, mountains, ocean, Massachusetts, Vermont, New York state.  I'm not a skier, but there are small hills nearby (Crotched Mtn, Pats Peak) and bigger slopes further north (Wildcat, Loon, Gunstock).  You're maybe a 5-hour drive to Montreal. 

Its beautiful in the fall and there's a cool annual pumpkin festival in town.  Keene is unofficially very pot-friendly, for what its worth.  No sales or income tax, but if you buy a home, property taxes are a bitch.  On our $230,000 home, annual taxes were around $6000.  Some other cool places nearby include Peterboro and North Adams, MA (site of Wilco's Solid Sound Festival). 

Best of luck to you and your wife.   :smiley:

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.