I spoke w/ Jim James about "This Land Is Your Land" & the 2 new LPs in the works

Started by MikeMehalick, Oct 29, 2014, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb

Sad that he isn't expecting anything til April, but really really fucking stoked that we have some kind of a date to look forward to now.  Thank you for this.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

parkervb

Quote from: robb on Oct 29, 2014, 04:40 PM
Sad that he isn't expecting anything til April, but really really fucking stoked that we have some kind of a date to look forward to now.  Thank you for this.

but also cool to hear that they don't expect to go so long between LPs. 
Don't you ever turn it off

MikeMehalick

Yeah he really emphasized how excited he was to get back with MMJ after the solo tour. They ended up with 2 LPs worth of stuff that don't have anything to do with each other.

CHIMMJFAN

Love this! Just in time for the summer and hopefully a return to Forecastle for the guys! Two albums worth of music in the near future, I'm so curious!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

Mr. White

It looks like what Jim told me when I ran into him in New Albany, Indiana back on May 25, 2014 was true. He told me they probably wouldn't be playing their next show in Louisville until some time in the Spring (2015). I hope the tour kicks off there and they play again at Forecastle (that's a lot to ask for, but it could happen).
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LB

wow great article. The two LP mention makes me think of the spacing between their first 4 albums...I'm getting really excited... A lot of touring to come
no you never gotta fight with me

Stevie

Indeed it does.  Reminds me of them saving songs recorded during the at dawn era and keeping them in their back pocket for it still moves.. Although i forget which ones now, i want to say IWSYS and OBH.. Damn ive been out of the loop! 

This is tremendous news, though.  I was honestly starting to wonder if they "had it" anymore when it came to creating original music.  It was another long wait from Evil Urges to Circuital and half the  songs of a very short album were from the muppets project.  So to hear that they had an explosion of new ideas and production recently is fannntastic.  Of course, we dont know what that sounds like just yet but my hopes are high. 

Now, two albums very close together brings a couple of questions to the table..  First, does that mean they forego the usual post-album tour tour (like spont. cur) to do another album tour?  If this is the case, how will this effect the setlists and the tour scheduling?  It would seem that there is now more than ever a very limited space for the deeper cuts that so many of us love.  One way to combat this could be more multi-night (no or few repeat) runs.  Another would be to do what the flaming lips do once in a while and do occasional one offs where they play an older album front to back.  Speaking of that, with albums 7 and 8 now approaching does this finally close the door on any possibility of something like T5 ever again occuring?  Also, does this mean we are less likely to see any jim side projects over the next five or so years? 

This feels like such a big turning point

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: MikeMehalick on Oct 29, 2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah he really emphasized how excited he was to get back with MMJ after the solo tour. They ended up with 2 LPs worth of stuff that don't have anything to do with each other.

Yay! Thanks a lot for posting this Mike! Good job!  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 29, 2014, 05:00 PM
Quote from: robb on Oct 29, 2014, 04:40 PM

but also cool to hear that they don't expect to go so long between LPs.

Yes, very exciting!  :cheesy:

SplatSplatSplat

Why not just cull the best 10-12 tracks and put out the best possible record? I'd much rather they put out a great record than 2 good ones. Save all those other tracks for later down the road: soundtracks, reworkings, b-sides or goodies for the inevitable career retrospective box set in 20 years. But, that's me. Jim and the boys know best.
You need it.  That's for sure.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50 PM
Why not just cull the best 10-12 tracks and put out the best possible record? I'd much rather they put out a great record than 2 good ones. Save all those other tracks for later down the road: soundtracks, reworkings, b-sides or goodies for the inevitable career retrospective box set in 20 years. But, that's me. Jim and the boys know best.

Maybe all of the tracks are on par with Steam Engine and Dondante  :grin:

But seriously, I agree with this ONLY if they insist on playing mediocre MMJ tunes from the new album instead of all of the great stuff they don't play enough (similar to how Circuital was heavily promoted).  I'm all for the guys promoting their new tunes and them enjoying the change, but I don't necessarily want the set list to be 60% new material, 30% greatest hits material, and 10% rarities.  That makes for a relatively boring set. 

However, with that being said, if the band wants to put out tons of new tunes and only play the ones that carry some impact in a live setting (assuming a few tracks per album are not the greatest live) then by all means, they should release all of the music they want to.  Even though I don't necessarily want to see most of Circuital live anymore (save for Slow Slow, Victory Dance, Circuital, and Wonderful), I still definitely enjoy listening to the album on occasion.  It is a solid record, and great by any standards.  The rest of the band's tunes just seem to be better live.  There is more meat on their bones I suppose.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 30, 2014, 01:45 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Oct 30, 2014, 12:50 PM

Maybe all of the tracks are on par with Steam Engine and Dondante  :grin:

But seriously, I agree with this ONLY if they insist on playing mediocre MMJ tunes from the new album instead of all of the great stuff they don't play enough (similar to how Circuital was heavily promoted).  I'm all for the guys promoting their new tunes and them enjoying the change, but I don't necessarily want the set list to be 60% new material, 30% greatest hits material, and 10% rarities.  That makes for a relatively boring set. 

However, with that being said, if the band wants to put out tons of new tunes and only play the ones that carry some impact in a live setting (assuming a few tracks per album are not the greatest live) then by all means, they should release all of the music they want to.  Even though I don't necessarily want to see most of Circuital live anymore (save for Slow Slow, Victory Dance, Circuital, and Wonderful), I still definitely enjoy listening to the album on occasion.  It is a solid record, and great by any standards.  The rest of the band's tunes just seem to be better live.  There is more meat on their bones I suppose.

Nonono, the only way to do this is to make it into 5 EPs and tour Europe twice per EP release. Though only one EP release/two Europe tours a year, as my vacation days are limited. :thumbsup:

davymac

ffghtrs

Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?