Forecastle 2015

Started by EverythingChanges, Jan 12, 2015, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jan 28, 2015, 09:54 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Jan 28, 2015, 09:49 AM
Sam Smith might stink, but I'm really surprised by the fact no one "gets" why he's billed at the top.

Also, there is enough great stuff on this line up, that I'm not going to let one act ruin it for me.

That's the root of the problems with festivals. You can't please everyone. And at the same time, the promoters need to look at the bottom line. for the rare times I go to festivals, I appreciate the times I'm not drivin' to see everything being played. I need that downtime.

That leads me to a question. What is the entry and re-entry policy of Forecastle?

Everything at Forecastle is pretty lax. You can come and go as you please. A couple of years ago you couldn't, but they changed it over the last 2 years.

It really is a great festival too. I'm not just saying that because I live here. Its relaxed, the crowds are manageable. There are a lot of people there because its something do to, which is great because that means a small percentage of people are your competition on getting a good spot. MMJ will be probably the only band that will play this year that you'd have to show up a couple hours early to get in the first couple rows.

They only way I can see myself being more into a line up this year is if the MMJ @ Solid Sound rumors are true. I would rather Sam Smith be replaced with a "classic act" like Roo always has, but I'm not mad about not liking 1 headliner. There is no headlining EDM or Folksy-mumford-avett-hey-ho band so I'm happy. I'd take a goofy pop-star over either of those any day.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

rmpotsy

Re-entry with a 3 day pass.  No re-entry on single day tix.
out go the lights it begins

gluvmiller

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 28, 2015, 10:09 AM
They only way I can see myself being more into a line up this year is if the MMJ @ Solid Sound rumors are true. I would rather Sam Smith be replaced with a "classic act" like Roo always has, but I'm not mad about not liking 1 headliner. There is no headlining EDM or Folksy-mumford-avett-hey-ho band so I'm happy. I'd take a goofy pop-star over either of those any day.

I'm so with you. It def makes the festival more attractive to me with no big EDM or one of the many irish-folksy bands. For me Sturgill is HUGE plus. I'm very curious about Portugal. I'm not a big fan of Modest Mouse but I did see them at red rocks once and really enjoyed myself more than I expected. I've really been eager to see the Word.

So would love to clink glasses with you in Mexico and we can further discuss this festival.

LBSUNFLWR

yeah, besides Panic and MMJ I think I'm most excited about The Word. I have seen NMAS and seen Luther with The Black Crowes many times but this sounds pretty interesting!!

Looking forward to Tweedy again too!

gluvmiller

What are the details on the VIP tickets?

justbcuzido

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jan 28, 2015, 09:54 AM
Sam Smith might stink, but I'm really surprised by the fact no one "gets" why he's billed at the top.

Also, there is enough great stuff on this line up, that I'm not going to let one act ruin it for me.

That's the root of the problems with festivals. You can't please everyone. And at the same time, the promoters need to look at the bottom line. for the rare times I go to festivals, I appreciate the times I'm not drivin' to see everything being played. I need that downtime.

That leads me to a question. What is the entry and re-entry policy of Forecastle?

Everything at Forecastle is pretty lax. You can come and go as you please. A couple of years ago you couldn't, but they changed it over the last 2 years.

It really is a great festival too. I'm not just saying that because I live here. Its relaxed, the crowds are manageable. There are a lot of people there because its something do to, which is great because that means a small percentage of people are your competition on getting a good spot. MMJ will be probably the only band that will play this year that you'd have to show up a couple hours early to get in the first couple rows.

MMJ at Solid Sound be awesome. My two favorite bands, and it wont be like the Americanarama tour again. Count me in!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

oistheone

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jan 28, 2015, 11:14 AM
What are the details on the VIP tickets?

Went VIP last year, and I don't really think the difference in cost is justified. HOWEVER, it's still pretty awesome. Just not really necessary. You get some sweet bathrooms with no lines, a nice chill spot with lots of room and privacy and a little cut out at the main stages for VIP viewing. For the headliners I didn't even use the VIP fenced-off section though, the views are on an angle and it got pretty packed. Give me room to groove any day. During the day it was pretty sweet though, could get within 20 feet of the stage no problem.

e_wind

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jan 28, 2015, 11:03 AM

I'm so with you. It def makes the festival more attractive to me with no big EDM or one of the many irish-folksy bands. For me Sturgill is HUGE plus. I'm very curious about Portugal. I'm not a big fan of Modest Mouse but I did see them at red rocks once and really enjoyed myself more than I expected. I've really been eager to see the Word.

So would love to clink glasses with you in Mexico and we can further discuss this festival.

Unfortunately, I decided to back out of OBH this year.

MMJ612

Cold War Kids are awesome live. They play a high energy set and have tons of good songs which makes them an ideal festival band with shorter set times. I saw them Friday in Mpls and they killed it. Very different than MMJ, but good music is good music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHjenB3kO8

gluvmiller

Oh, didn't realize E. I just assumed, esp from some conversations on FB. We'll raise a glass for you  :beer:

BigHerm

I think everyone is capable of grasping the reasoning. That doesn't change anything and is not the point..at all.

EverythingChanges

I still think there's a chance for Wilco to show up. Houndmouth is way too far up on the list of artists, there has to be something coming larger than them. That last clue that was for tweedy said "the son joined us first" or something like that. What if wilco is coming in the second wave? Thoughts?
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

EverythingChanges

LBSUNFLWR

cool, hope wilco will be there.

I saw TWEEDY a few months ago and Jeff did do a little solo set of wilco songs/covers etc.

e_wind

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 28, 2015, 03:55 PM
Wilco is listed on this link: http://consequenceofsound.net/festival/forecastle-festival-2015/

Think it is an accident?

I would say its definitely possible that that is an accident. I can see why they would hold it back for another round of artists, though. On Bandsintown whenever Tweedy announces a show it says Wilco Announces a Show @ Tweedy. So it could be confusion

EDIT: upon reading that clue, I don't think wilco will be added.

rusty95

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 27, 2015, 08:43 PM
Quote from: JerseyDan on Jan 27, 2015, 04:58 PM
FORUM REALITY CHECK: Sam Smith is bigger than MMJ, even in their hometown. Like it or not...he is. Festivals need to sell tickets, and ohh boy does he sell tickets. Sam Smith will sell more tickets than MMJ, and that is why he is listed 1st. He will also bring in a different crowd than the Forecastle norm which will ideal lead a different demographic to the fest, and get those people back to future fests. Its just the facts.

Everyone chill...MMJ is gonna headline one of the 3 nights. Can't ask for much more, can you?

You're probably right about this Sam Smith character being "bigger than MMJ", but will he still be around in say...16 years...that's the age of MMJ at present. I seriously doubt it. I believe the "outrage" comes from the fact that he only has one album and one (maybe two) "hit" single(s), so...how in the world could he score a headlining spot at this supposed "independent and progressive" style festival? I mean really?!? Sure he will bring in "new blood/money" and possible returns to the festival in subsequent years, but they're not hurting for an audience at Waterfront Park. Each year outdoes/outsells the previous one. Last year and the year before that were far bigger in terms of an attendance than the year My Morning Jacket curated and headlined (2012). I was there that year and again in 2013 to see Jim perform. I guess I'm just a bit greedy and selfish. I had originally planned on going to all three days/nights, but the acts are mostly unknown to me (I've done some "research" on bands I thought I might be interested in for previous years so as to make it worth my while/money and only checked out the ones I liked or sort of liked). With that being said, the headliners were my saving grace. When I went to all three days of the 2013 Forecastle Festival, I had a pretty good time discovering acts like Old Crow Medicine Show, The String Cheese Incident, The Black Keys, The Avett Brothers (already liked Jim James and Robert Plant), but I'm not feeling it for this one. It would be cool to see Widespread Panic, but I think I'll just get the single day ticket to see MMJ...unless there are some killer bands added...and that's unlikely to happen (for my musical tastes). I hope all of you people planning to make it a full weekend have a fantastic time. That's what really matters. It's the music! That's what matters the most! If you like the bands/acts, go see them. I'll be OK with just the one day's worth. Besides, MMJ will be playing more shows that I'll make my way to anyhow.

My exact thoughts.....
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

e_wind

Quote from: rusty95 on Jan 30, 2015, 11:17 AM
Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 27, 2015, 08:43 PM
Quote from: JerseyDan on Jan 27, 2015, 04:58 PM
FORUM REALITY CHECK: Sam Smith is bigger than MMJ, even in their hometown. Like it or not...he is. Festivals need to sell tickets, and ohh boy does he sell tickets. Sam Smith will sell more tickets than MMJ, and that is why he is listed 1st. He will also bring in a different crowd than the Forecastle norm which will ideal lead a different demographic to the fest, and get those people back to future fests. Its just the facts.

Everyone chill...MMJ is gonna headline one of the 3 nights. Can't ask for much more, can you?

You're probably right about this Sam Smith character being "bigger than MMJ", but will he still be around in say...16 years...that's the age of MMJ at present. I seriously doubt it. I believe the "outrage" comes from the fact that he only has one album and one (maybe two) "hit" single(s), so...how in the world could he score a headlining spot at this supposed "independent and progressive" style festival? I mean really?!? Sure he will bring in "new blood/money" and possible returns to the festival in subsequent years, but they're not hurting for an audience at Waterfront Park. Each year outdoes/outsells the previous one. Last year and the year before that were far bigger in terms of an attendance than the year My Morning Jacket curated and headlined (2012). I was there that year and again in 2013 to see Jim perform. I guess I'm just a bit greedy and selfish. I had originally planned on going to all three days/nights, but the acts are mostly unknown to me (I've done some "research" on bands I thought I might be interested in for previous years so as to make it worth my while/money and only checked out the ones I liked or sort of liked). With that being said, the headliners were my saving grace. When I went to all three days of the 2013 Forecastle Festival, I had a pretty good time discovering acts like Old Crow Medicine Show, The String Cheese Incident, The Black Keys, The Avett Brothers (already liked Jim James and Robert Plant), but I'm not feeling it for this one. It would be cool to see Widespread Panic, but I think I'll just get the single day ticket to see MMJ...unless there are some killer bands added...and that's unlikely to happen (for my musical tastes). I hope all of you people planning to make it a full weekend have a fantastic time. That's what really matters. It's the music! That's what matters the most! If you like the bands/acts, go see them. I'll be OK with just the one day's worth. Besides, MMJ will be playing more shows that I'll make my way to anyhow.

My exact thoughts.....

I think everyone needs to chill about the headliner. Lets look at past headliners...

2010:Smashing Pumpkins, Widespread Panic, Flaming Lips
2012: MMJ, Wilco, Bassnectar
2013: String Cheese Incident, Avett Bros, Black Keys
2014: Jack White, Outkast, Beck

I don't know about you, but who cares if its Bassnectar,Sam Smith, Smashing Pumpkins (that was probably the worst show I've ever seen), or even 3 headliners that you like but are mediocre (2013). 2014 was the best headliner year all around, and this year MMJ is on the list (we're talking on an MMJ forum right now, btw).

Its ONE ACT. And I'm really surprised by the lack of love for the line up on an MMJ fan forum. This year is more mmj-ish than the year that mmj curated the line up.

MMJ
Modest Mouse (!!!!!! I'm not even  a huge fan, but !!!!!)
Desaparecidos (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you don't know, look it up)
Tweedy (!!!!!!!!)
Sturgill Simpson
Diarrhea Planet
Portugal. The Man
Tallest Man
Shovels and Rope
St Paul
The Lone Bellow
People Under The Stairs
Jeff The Brotherhood
White Reaper
Shovels and Rope

And then there are all these bands that I don't care about, but I'm sure some of you all do:
WSP
Houndmouth
The Word
First Aid Kit
Gaslight Anthem

And then theres Cage The Elephant. I'm sorry, theres nothing I can say that will justify that. It's just one act. We'll get through it.

Also remember, there will be more bands announced. In 2013 Robert (f'ing) Plant got added late. There is so much potential left, its only January!

e_wind

Oh, and its not just about the music. I'm sure after 10 years of being in more and more debt from the festival and living with his parents, JK is probably happy to sell some tickets. He's gotta make a life for himself and his employees, too. The music industry is an industry, too.

EverythingChanges

I've not complained about the lineup save for Sam Smith. I also don't care for WSP either. But yes having jacket as a headliner is better than having three mediocre headliners. I think this year's lineup is fantastic. I'm excited about all of the second tier bands (I've never been excited about all of the second tier bands before). And JACKET. Modest is awesome. Cage has tons of energy on stage and will be fun to see, and houndmouth & tallest man are great adds. Tweedy will be amazing. Especially if he plays some wilco tunes solo like he has been. Even the undercards that I've never heard of are excellent. Conor's punk band is a little too hardcore for me, but it's Conor so that's great. Especially if he plays with MMJ.

With all that said, I'm still going to complain about having a headliner that wasn't even a thing half a year ago. He has 1 album and he's top on the bill. The dude isn't even a musician, he's an entertainer. I feel the same way about him as I do about Katy Perry. The only difference is Katy Perry has a nice rack to compensate for her shitty music. I do not like Outkast, but I feel like Outkast was a worthy headliner for a festival like this. I feel like Sam Smith was plucked from some Pop radio station.

I love JK and everything he has done. This festival is literally the only festival I care about going to. It's perfect in execution, size, and scale. The location is great for me too. For this reason, I'll always happily go and I'll enjoy the hell out of it when I'm there. I know JK and everyone else at the festival need to make $$ but they could have booked another headliner that would bring in just as many tickets and please the fans who go every year that have helped put this festival on the map. I don't think anyone on facebook ever asked for Sam smith as a headliner, and most everyone now seems to dislike him. I just feel like his fan base is so different from the fanbase that will go to forecastle. You take people who listen to top 40 and have them look at this lineup. They will be stoked for Sam Smith and not know a single other band there. That may sell loads of single day passes, but I just don't feel like he is such a huge $$ grab that everyone thinks he is. Who knows maybe I'm wrong. I've just yet to see any enthusiasm for him from anyone yet.

Mr. White

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 31, 2015, 12:06 PM

...I'm still going to complain about having a headliner that wasn't even a thing half a year ago. He has 1 album and he's top on the bill. The dude isn't even a musician, he's an entertainer. ... I feel like Sam Smith was plucked from some Pop radio station...

"Mmmmm-pop, pop, pop music. Mmmmm-pop, pop, pop music..."
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011