What are your favorite French artists?

Started by gelyfix, Feb 14, 2015, 06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gelyfix

As a French guy, I'd like to know what French artists are famous or wel known in the US, and also which one do you like the most, just for my personnal culture.  :smiley:

MrWhippy

My favorite French artists are all metal: Blut Aus Nord, Gojira, and Peste Noire.  I would say that Gojira is the only one of those that is reasonably well known in the US.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

dmooney99

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 14, 2015, 09:03 AM
My favorite French artists are all metal: Blut Aus Nord, Gojira, and Peste Noire.  I would say that Gojira is the only one of those that is reasonably well known in the US.

mine are all electronic.  Daft Punk, Phoenix, M83 and Justice.  I think those are the only french artists i know.

Jaimoe

Being Canadian, I like a few French-Canadian artists such as the innovative jazz-fusion band UZEB and folk legend Robert Charlebois. I also like it when Montreal superstars Arcade Fire sing in French. However, few French-Canadian acts cross over to the English-Canada mainstream outside of Celine Dion, Roch Voisine, classical pianist Andre Gagnon, pop singers Rene Simard and Mitsou, and a few others (several jazz artists have broke out beside UZEB - Oscar Peterson was from Montreal).

My favourite French acts are Django Reinhardt (Belgian-born, just like my favourite reporter: Tintin) and Stéphane Grappelli.

rmpotsy

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 16, 2015, 05:49 PM
Being Canadian, I like a few French-Canadian artists such as the innovative jazz-fusion band UZEB and folk legend Robert Charlebois. I also like it when Montreal superstars Arcade Fire sing in French. However, few French-Canadian acts cross over to the English-Canada mainstream outside of Celine Dion, Roch Voisine, classical pianist Andre Gagnon, pop singers Rene Simard and Mitsou, and a few others (several jazz artists have broke out beside UZEB - Oscar Peterson was from Montreal).

My favourite French acts are Django Reinhardt (Belgian-born, just like my favourite reporter: Tintin) and Stéphane Grappelli.

are you familiar with wintersleep?  they are a montreal band i saw open for the hold steady a few years back.  put on a great show and at the time had 2 pretty good albums.  never really heard anything from them since and didnt know if they had any popularity in their region/country.
out go the lights it begins

Jaimoe

Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 17, 2015, 10:39 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 16, 2015, 05:49 PM

are you familiar with wintersleep?  they are a montreal band i saw open for the hold steady a few years back.  put on a great show and at the time had 2 pretty good albums.  never really heard anything from them since and didnt know if they had any popularity in their region/country.

Yes, I do know Wintersleep (I've even met a few of the members). They aren't from Montreal, but are proud Maritimers from Halifax, Nova Scotia. They are a fairly popular indie-rock band across the Canada, but aren't well known in US. I just read they are working on their 6th studio album, so stay tuned. I think any fans of MMJ would love them.

rmpotsy

maybe one of the members (singer?) is from Montreal.  i spoke to him after their show and he definitely had a french-canadian accent and i swore he said he was from Montreal.  it was also in the middle of a rock show, so i couldve been misinterpreting...
out go the lights it begins

Jaimoe

Quote from: rmpotsy on Feb 17, 2015, 04:12 PM
maybe one of the members (singer?) is from Montreal.  i spoke to him after their show and he definitely had a french-canadian accent and i swore he said he was from Montreal.  it was also in the middle of a rock show, so i couldve been misinterpreting...

C'est possible. A few of the guys were in other bands, or side projects. Land of Talk comes to mind, and they are from Montreal. I can't find bios of Wintersleep band members, but I believe most are from Yarmouth NS and Halifax. They formed in Halifax and live there. Montreal is a music town and one member could have moved to Halifax being that the latter is also a great music town. One thing worth noting is that French is spoken in other provinces besides Quebec, and New Brunswick (wedged between Quebec and Nova Scotia) is fully bilingual French-English, and harmoniously so (which is not the case with Quebec).

APR

I'd say Phoenix are at least very, very well known if not famous.  That album with Listomania and 1905 is really good throughout.

lpkell2145

In the late 90's and early 2000's I was deeply into Air. Moon Safari is still one of my most favorite albums ever. So good.
20 times I wish you'd understand...

Crispy

Quote from: lpkell2145 on Mar 06, 2015, 09:13 PM
In the late 90's and early 2000's I was deeply into Air. Moon Safari is still one of my most favorite albums ever. So good.

Moon Safari will never get old, ever.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Mahgeetah34

Hmmm, probably Claude Monet and Edgar Degas!

MMPJ6306

Serge Gainsbourg!!! My girlfriend likes Jacques Brel but I've never really listened to him- I do love Scott Walker though.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

Santo

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 06, 2015, 09:41 PM
Quote from: lpkell2145 on Mar 06, 2015, 09:13 PM

Moon Safari will never get old, ever.

Just listened to that album this morning. I loved the Premiers Symptomes ep too. I was really into Phoenix around the same time, especially United.