The waterfall tracklisting

Started by MOWJO8185, Mar 02, 2015, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

I agree, I think the first time through the album we are more likely to listen for what we are hoping to hear from them more so than what is actually there and we miss things.  We miss the vibe initially.

marino13

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 27, 2015, 09:34 AM
Quote from: Willard1979 on Apr 26, 2015, 11:24 PM
I caved! I downloaded it. Couldnt wait any longer. Im about halfway through the album, and I dont hate it. I think it will be a grower.

the "grower" phenomenon...i can't recall a record where this term has been uttered as universally as this one.  I feel like a lot of it has to do with our own unique expectations for the album and when this album matches none of them, it takes a few listens to readjust and appreciate what this band and Tucker have done.

This is exactly what happened to me on the new Sufjan album.  It took me a couple of times through to get over the fact that it wasn't "Illinois" and didn't have the huge arrangements that I love from the album.  Now I am obsessing over it.  I hope the same happens with The Waterfall.  I have just heard Big D and Spring a couple of times, holding out for the rest.

johnnYYac

Quote from: marino13 on Apr 27, 2015, 12:15 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Apr 27, 2015, 09:34 AM
Quote from: Willard1979 on Apr 26, 2015, 11:24 PM
I caved! I downloaded it. Couldnt wait any longer. Im about halfway through the album, and I dont hate it. I think it will be a grower.

the "grower" phenomenon...i can't recall a record where this term has been uttered as universally as this one.  I feel like a lot of it has to do with our own unique expectations for the album and when this album matches none of them, it takes a few listens to readjust and appreciate what this band and Tucker have done.

This is exactly what happened to me on the new Sufjan album.  It took me a couple of times through to get over the fact that it wasn't "Illinois" and didn't have the huge arrangements that I love from the album.  Now I am obsessing over it.  I hope the same happens with The Waterfall.  I have just heard Big D and Spring a couple of times, holding out for the rest.
It was Bo, himself, in an early interview that suggested The Waterfall would require multiple listens before final judgement.  He's right on.  :thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Willard1979

Listening for the 2nd time. Im definitely liking it more than the first listen.  :thumbsup:

manonthemoon

Listened to it a lot last week when it leaked on Youtube for a few days.  Guess i am kind of alone on this one, but even though I feel its better than the last one, still a very mixed bag for me.  In its infancy was really the only  :shocked: that stood out as a wow song.  Solid to above average tracks were:
Spring really complete multi-tiered track, just not a ton there lyrically
Believe catchy, but missing a massive signature riff
Fracture which seems to be missing something for my tastes pretty good riff though. 
The only one that's really grown on me is Believe, which is catchy and sticks in your head or at least does for me.  The rest are just kind of meh, take em or leave them with a few of the songs falling well below par, Like a river and get the point.  Maybe some will change once they are played live, but we'll have to see on that or not.
Alive or Just Breathing

Grateful Chabo

I have listened to it a lot over the past few weeks...taking a break from it until I can get my hands on the vinyl.  I think there are some monsters on this album.....In It's Infancy, Compound Fx, Tropics, Only Memories...Believe is growing on me more and more along with Thin Line.  When I hear Thin Line I think Elton John...I could be alone on that notion.  The only tune that I'm not really digging is Get The Point.  I just don't think it flows well with the album.  But what the hell do I know?  Anyway...another great album by my favorite band.   :cheesy:
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

gardenparty

reviews looking very positive so far

I haven't spun this in 3 weeks now.  Itching to get my copy in the mail next week.  Promised to hold off until official release date now

gardenparty

Quote from: Grateful Chabo on Apr 27, 2015, 09:26 PM
The only tune that I'm not really digging is Get The Point.  I just don't think it flows well with the album.  But what the hell do I know?  Anyway...another great album by my favorite band.   :cheesy:
I think it will make more sense in the vinyl context.  It's the break up song to close side A.  Then you have Spring kicking off side B.  the rebirth

Willard1979

Who here likes Hillside Song? Its becoming one of my favorites of the Bonus Tracks. It sorta reminds me of Bermuda Highway. Not sure why.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Willard1979 on Apr 28, 2015, 05:39 PM
Who here likes Hillside Song? Its becoming one of my favorites of the Bonus Tracks. It sorta reminds me of Bermuda Highway. Not sure why.

I have to agree. This song is great. I was thinking that I can see this song replacing Bermuda Highway at certain shows, when Jim plays by himself to give the band a break.

Also... The studio version of "I can't wait" is awesome!!!!!

I really can't wait to hear "Tropics" live

danimal

Quote from: Willard1979 on Apr 28, 2015, 05:39 PM

I love Hilliside Song and also draw comparison to Bermuda Highway for unknown reasons.  I literally had that thought pop into my head while listening to the song just today.

diddy57

The whole album is wonderful, wonderful. wonderful the way I feel.

Thin Line slays me the most, but there are many things I love about every song, like the keyboards at the end of Compound Fracture.

CountSA

I could listen to Compound Fracture on repeat all-day.

SplatSplatSplat

I'm interested in this keyboard ending to Compound. Mostly due to the OBH performance, which I seem to remember ending with a fairly dominant dueling guitar solo jam. Then again, that was a few months ago and I was fairly drunk. But dammit I remember guitars!
You need it.  That's for sure.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Apr 30, 2015, 11:52 AM
I'm interested in this keyboard ending to Compound. Mostly due to the OBH performance, which I seem to remember ending with a fairly dominant dueling guitar solo jam. Then again, that was a few months ago and I was fairly drunk. But dammit I remember guitars!

I hear you on this!!!  Out of the three songs played at OBH, compound fracture was the MOST different on the beach than on the record.  I too remember guitar craziness on the beach but then again, I was pretty drunk too!!!

justbcuzido

Quote from: unravelled on Apr 30, 2015, 12:51 PM
Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Apr 30, 2015, 11:52 AM

I hear you on this!!!  Out of the three songs played at OBH, compound fracture was the MOST different on the beach than on the record.  I too remember guitar craziness on the beach but then again, I was pretty drunk too!!!

I remember reading an interview where Jim said they recorded three versions (different tempos) of this song (Two of which will be released). And said that the live version is very different. So I imagine the live is the third version of it. Cause I remember it being different than both available versions.... I too was really drunk, so who knows
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Willard1979

Im now in love with Thin Line!  :thumbsup:

Smitty

Loving this album (2nd only to the new James McMurtry so far this year). I do sorta wish they have swapped places with "Get the Point" & "Hillside Song" though; I think the latter is a much stronger track.
"Don't say what you would or wouldn't do, honey, cuz one day you just might have to" - Larry Brown