Dear My Morning Jacket

Started by Fully, Apr 09, 2015, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Release Compound Fracture as a single. Don't do that thing you've been doing for quite a few albums and not release the most hit worthy song on the album. It really needs to be a single; as little as I want to fight new fans for tickets,  I know you need and deserve this.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

timescaper

For sure it's definitely their most radio friendly song maybe ever and dispels all of the pigeonholing into a limited southern rock genre they were stuck with for so many years that still comes up in some articles

millerjustin

What's in here won't disappear

rdylanoconnor

No radio hits. If people haven't figured out MMJ by now, their musical tastes are narrow and they can stick to seeing Kings of Leon in giant arenas. I, for one, like seeing the Jacket at places like the Cap knowing that everyone in the place is s true fan w great music taste.

Fully

I do too,  but the band deserves to be fucking HUGE.

Bulldog

Quote from: rdylanoconnor on Apr 10, 2015, 09:02 AM
No radio hits. If people haven't figured out MMJ by now, their musical tastes are narrow and they can stick to seeing Kings of Leon in giant arenas. I, for one, like seeing the Jacket at places like the Cap knowing that everyone in the place is s true fan w great music taste.

Oddly enough....

The first concert I saw after OBH I was Kings of Leon. I was amazed at how lackluster the show was and just wholeheartedly underwhelming, I am convinced MMJ spoiled my for life for concerts such as that.

voxware

Oh good, it seems we all hate KOL here.  I just came from the Facebook post where people were sharing their feelings on KOL and Mumford & Sons.  This makes me feel good :)

parkervb

Quote from: voxware on Apr 10, 2015, 11:57 PM

Oh good, it seems we all hate KOL here.  I just came from the Facebook post where people were sharing their feelings on KOL and Mumford & Sons.  This makes me feel good :)

KOL is BORING as hell now, but those first two albums are still fun as hell.
Don't you ever turn it off

gluvmiller

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 13, 2015, 11:02 AM

Wait, is hell boring or fun?  :beer:

Dillsnufus

I thought this was going to be a T5 thread ....  ;(

I agree tho
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

sb_gli

Yep.  They sold out after their 3rd album.  I saw them live for the first time a day or two before I saw my first MMJ show in 2006.  Back then, they kicked ass.  They ranked right up there as one of my favorite bands.  Now, it's just poppy junk.

parkervb

Quote from: gluvmiller on Apr 13, 2015, 11:44 AM

fixed  :thumbsup:
Don't you ever turn it off

gluvmiller

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 13, 2015, 12:03 PM
Quote from: gluvmiller on Apr 13, 2015, 11:44 AM

fixed  :thumbsup:

couldn't help myself   :wink:

RobRoy286

Woldie

"The upside of aging is that you can figure out who you are and learn how to accept it. From the time James started putting out records, journalists have asked whether he wanted MMJ to be "bigger." But the answer should've already been clear — by both circumstance and design, My Morning Jacket has never fit in. Too jammy for indie fans and too indie for jam-band fans, MMJ resides in a weird zone between too popular for the underground and not popular enough to qualify for stardom."

An excerpt from Steven Hyden's "One Big Circle: How My Morning Jacket Rebounded With Its Best Album in a Decade"

And while the title of the article may be contentious, what is contained within it is good stuff, in my opinion.

grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/one-big-circle-how-my-morning-jacket-rebounded-with-its-best-album-in-a-decade/
"The owls are not what they seem."

Fully

Yeah,  I agree with most of the article,  but I don't think the band is rebounding. The put out two less than albums,  but those albums also brought in quite a few new fans,  some of whom think those albums are their best work (don't ask me why).