Relix poll: Best My Morning Jacket record

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 10, 2015, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Take the poll. A fairly large sample size. Interesting results thus far.

http://www.relix.com/polls/mmj
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

dookie shoot bandit

Looks like it's not a "proven fact" that Circuital is the least liked album, or Evil Urges for that matter.
Definitely interesting results though. Just proves that each fan has a different view on what each album means to them.

justbcuzido

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Apr 10, 2015, 01:22 PM
Looks like it's not a "proven fact" that Circuital is the least liked album, or Evil Urges for that matter.
Definitely interesting results though. Just proves that each fan has a different view on what each album means to them.

Agreed here. Like I know people disagree with me a lot, but TTF is my least favorite studio effort. However, those songs live are some of my favorites, I mean War Begun, Going to Hell, heartbreaking man just to name a few are unreal live.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Nikkogino

How is there not more love for At Dawn?  Isn't that widely regarded as their best? 

kotchishm

Quote from: Nikkogino on Apr 10, 2015, 02:40 PM
How is there not more love for At Dawn?  Isn't that widely regarded as their best?

At Dawn was my vote. Always been my favorite.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

vwxg14a

Quote from: justbcuzido on Apr 10, 2015, 02:40 PM

Agreed here. Like I know people disagree with me a lot, but TTF is my least favorite studio effort. However, those songs live are some of my favorites, I mean War Begun, Going to Hell, heartbreaking man just to name a few are unreal live.

I completely agree.  It would be interesting how TTF would have sounded if done now, judging by the Palms EP, they would have made a much better album.

Based upon my T5 experience, TTF was the most improved by leaps and bounds.

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

gardenparty

Quote from: vwxg14a on Apr 10, 2015, 03:33 PM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Apr 10, 2015, 02:40 PM

I completely agree.  It would be interesting how TTF would have sounded if done now, judging by the Palms EP, they would have made a much better album.

Based upon my T5 experience, TTF was the most improved by leaps and bounds.

Terminal 5 was an insane night.  I always want to say TTF is my favorite album but then I listen and remember the songs weren't quiet there yet on the recordings

dookie shoot bandit

Exactly. We are rating the best studio album.
In one mans opinion... I believe overall sound, production, songs, etc. i can still put on Z.
Everything else I pretty much go to live recordings.
Again this is "opinion"... Not based off "facts" like other people want to state

manonthemoon

Quote from: kotchishm on Apr 10, 2015, 03:03 PM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Apr 10, 2015, 02:40 PM

At Dawn was my vote. Always been my favorite.
+1
Alive or Just Breathing

patrickbateman

What's with everyone's obsession with comparing things? Can't we just take each album for the beautiful thing that it is?

But for the record, if your least favorite is Evil Urges you're doing it wrong  :wink:

KingCobra

It Still Moves, the album that started it all.
I'm On A Four Day Creep

johnnYYac

Did I forget the link?  I added it up top and here, too.

http://www.relix.com/polls/mmj
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Angelo

Quote from: KingCobra on Apr 10, 2015, 07:00 PM
Exactly what KingCobra said.

easy way

Quote from: Angelo on Apr 10, 2015, 07:26 PM
Quote from: KingCobra on Apr 10, 2015, 07:00 PM
Exactly what KingCobra said.

What Angelo said KingCobra said.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

e_wind

WTF is going on here? Lots of TTF bash.... You all go on and listen to EU and Circuital, the rest of us will be over here listening to TTF.  :undecided:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Stevie

I voted for TTF simply because it's my favorite collection of songs that the band has written.  The sound quality may not be up to snuff with the more recent recordings but i actually like that.  It sounds like a band in a room (or sometimes just Jim obviously) playing music rather than something that sounds like it exists in a vacuum chamber (also like that at times but for different reasons).  Overall, though, the songs just resonate with me more than any other album. 

Just a note:  I think it's fine to vote for an album based on the current live editions of its songs.  War Begun is a great example.  The template is there on the album but has become a monster over the years live.  Some people would say that you rate or rank albums based on the way the actual album sounds as recorded, but for me it's about the whole process.....at least for MMJ.  If we were talking about a band that wasn't really known for its live performances then i see merit in the other method. 

Why do people rate or rank albums?  It's something to do.  It's fun.  :wink:

BigHerm

TTF and its not close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie

I think The Waterfall is better than Z.  And i think after 5 to 10 years most people will agree with this. 

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Stevie on Apr 11, 2015, 02:20 PM
I think The Waterfall is better than Z.  And i think after 5 to 10 years most people will agree with this. 

It very well could...
And I love all their albums. I just prefer to listen to the live versions of their songs.
For me Z was just the first album of theirs that I fully listened too. It resonates with me and with the time I became addicted with them, and had to go back and purchase TTF, and AD, and ISM, and fall in love with their whole body of music. I think probably only one or two indivdual songs off Z would even be on my top ten of their whole collection, but again as a collection of songs staight through, it works for me, as a complete album.
I agree with you in the fact that Circuital, as awesome as it is cause it's made by them, is my least favorite as well. But to say that "any Jacket fan worth their salt knows that"... That's just ignorant. For some that is the album that grabbed them or got them attached to this wonderful band.

Colfax

Quote from: patrickbateman on Apr 10, 2015, 06:50 PM
What's with everyone's obsession with comparing things? Can't we just take each album for the beautiful thing that it is?

But for the record, if your least favorite is Evil Urges you're doing it wrong  :wink:

There's so much awesomeness in this post. My favorite part of course is hearing Patrick Bateman's voice saying the first line.