Waterfall moments that will DESTROY you live

Started by oistheone, May 04, 2015, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

- That guitar break in Thin Line is going to send me into a fucking FRENZY! I hope no one is too close when I hear it live for the first time because I will be throwing vicious hands to the sky, as if to high-five the gods for supplying me with such an aural wonder.

- Counting down the AGAINs in The Waterfall (12) before emerging into a supreme knee-high march of funk on the 13th.

- Floating to the sky in euphoria during Only Memories Remain. Must remember to wear ankle weights.

Grateful Chabo

How about the wall of guitar sounds that punch you right in the face at the end of Tropics?  Knoxville can't get here soon enough!

- I too will be counting "agains" and will follow it up with supreme high knees as well.
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

CHIMMJFAN

The guitars at the end of "Tropics" will melt my face guaranteed!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

RobRoy286

lpkell2145

I cried the other day listening to Like a River. That song makes me so happy and gives me such peace...especially towards the end. It's almost too much.
20 times I wish you'd understand...

gardenparty

that "1, 2, 3, 4" into the funky guitar line on Spring is going to get the place bouncing

SpaceWrangler

Quote from: gardenparty on May 07, 2015, 02:39 PM
that "1, 2, 3, 4" into the funky guitar line on Spring is going to get the place bouncing

I've had the same vision. I bet Spring is the opener in Athens. 
The Fact That My Heart's Beating IS ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED

bhyman

Quote from: gardenparty on May 07, 2015, 02:39 PM
^^^THIS^^^

mind at large

the way "tropics" will unfurl as the tour progresses.

also...

not sure if it will happen, but something about bo's hook from "in its infancy" makes be believe that it will feed directly into "victory dance" at some point. 

Lonndown27

1. The first huge electric chord at the beginning of BELIEVE and the solos by Jim and then Carl

2. The WAAAA sound on Jims guitar at end of TROPICS where it sounds like its being whammied

3. The intro to Spring but even better the way Bo's shimmering keys vibrate in the middle,  as the two guitars build and build the song higher and higher
parts like that make a solo sound huge

4. Jims opening falsetto on Thin Line...fucking sexy
5. The combination of MiamI Jungle and Regular versions of Compound Fracture so live it becomes a behemoth

6. The existential bliss and bittersweet melodies of Only Memories Remain especially the towering twisting twin guitar majesty of Jim and Carl with Jims perfectly placed OH WO OHHHHH's....

7. The 5 minutes of In Its Infancy stretched to 10 minutes making the launch into AGAIN I STOP THE WATERFALL even more insane
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Stevie

Compound fracture end of second verse whenyou get launched down the rabbit hole to Jim's shrieking abandon and Bo's cyclicle craziness.

Jim and Carl harmonizing on the second leg of In Its Infancy "an idea booooooorrrrnnnnnn" (ohhhh f'ing christ!)

And yes, the Oh weh ohhhhs on Only Memories Remain.

I just hope old Jimmy boy is feeling up to it all..  If not its okay.  The album is so good that i never need to hear it live.  Like Maynard said, "I dont want it, i just need it," except the opposite.

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 10, 2015, 08:48 PM
Jim.needs to address the fans...

:huh:

Normally I'd just ignore something like this but can you tell me what the hell you're talking about, and why would Jim need to address anyone about anything?

"Where's Jim going?"

ncjacket

Tropics- every bit of it, in all its glory!

Quote"Compound fracture end of second verse whenyou get launched down the rabbit hole to Jim's shrieking abandon and Bo's cyclicle craziness."

Spring intro into the 45 sec mark buildup and then drop around 1:30!

Like A River at 2:57 Ahh Ohh Ahh Ohhs and remaining 'outro'

Gtar Sol0 in Thin Line into the breakdown

And whatever else MMJ greatness they bring to table during the shows! More excited than anything to hear these tracks live. I love the dynamic between studio and live versions of songs. Jacket does it better than any other band to give recorded songs a whole 'nother level of greatness live!

MACKEL

The whole album is fucking awesome but I'm currently raging on Thin Line! It's going to be so amazing when they add a sweet jam to the very last part after the line "..head out towards the sea, nobody loves you, except for me"!
Been lookin back, down through the ages; First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I'm ALIVE

halesdd

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 10, 2015, 08:48 PM
Jim.needs to address the fans...

:angry:

Please explain this.  Did you write him a letter and expect a response at one of the shows from him??  Are you attending the same shows as us because I never have had any issues with him "addressing the fans"??  Get off your high horse.

Not to be brash but I just don't get where anyone gets off thinking they owe anybody anything.  They tour their butts off not for the money or glory but for the love of the music and their fans. 
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

ellisintransit

Quote from: lpkell2145 on May 07, 2015, 01:24 PM
I cried the other day listening to Like a River. That song makes me so happy and gives me such peace...especially towards the end. It's almost too much.
Harmonies like that activate my crying genes too.  When I saw Fleet Foxes on their last tour I had several similar moments.  I had another when MMJ performed this at the Waterfall rehearsal show in L'ville last month.  Cannot wait to live this song again.   :beer:

halesdd

Quote from: ellisintransit on May 12, 2015, 11:21 AM
Quote from: lpkell2145 on May 07, 2015, 01:24 PM
Harmonies like that activate my crying genes too.  When I saw Fleet Foxes on their last tour I had several similar moments.  I had another when MMJ performed this at the Waterfall rehearsal show in L'ville last month.  Cannot wait to live this song again.   :beer:

Amen!  Like A River is so epic.  Its like ascending into heaven with little tiny My Morning Jacket angels harmonizing as I reach the pearly gates.  Love it.  Definitely reminds me of Fleet Foxes (except so much better of course  :thumbsup:).
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

RobRoy286

These songs sound so good live. I can't wait to experience them in person. Compound Fracture and Spring are already monsters.

johnnYYac

Spring (Among The Living) is my favorite track from The Waterfall, and seeing it live in Chicago, as well as on previous live recordings, solidified that opinion.  The tearing guitars following the first line/verse is quite epic live, far more so than the studio LP.  I'd always thought it had potential to be a great opener, too.  This was also proved true on Chicago night 2.

! No longer available
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.