The 2nd album may be "completely dance and soul based"

Started by Stevie, May 05, 2015, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

From the album review thread:

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 04, 2015, 12:28 PM

Sessions for "The Waterfall" resulted in plenty of (probably weird) dance music, but James felt it was better served on its own album. He wondered if first putting out a more rock-oriented collection might not appeal to old-school fans, while a second album would be a bonus round for the more adventurous.

"It may be a pointless experiment, but I was curious to see what would happen," he said. "I thought it would be cool to have one that didn't have any dance- or soul-based stuff on it, and then follow it up with one that was completely dance- and soul-based."

Now, they have said that they are 80% finished with the second album, so they can always modify things.  But I find this very interesting and also kind of exciting.  Even if dance or soul isnt your thing, the waterfall tracks will still be pretty fresh by the time the next one drops and we will have setlists that are probably half stinson beach songs.  If the two albums are as complementary as the waterfall is cohesive then i think this could make for quite the live experience.

EverythingChanges

Hmm... I like their soul based music (and I think the Waterfall has quite a bit of soul in it), but I'm also longing for a song or two that are guitar centered like lay low or OBH etc. I don't think this album quite had a song like that, and I wouldn't describe The Waterfall as rock centric necessarily.

But Jim does soul right, so this could be interesting.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

jimsflyingv

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 05, 2015, 09:47 AM
Hmm... I like their soul based music (and I think the Waterfall has quite a bit of soul in it), but I'm also longing for a song or two that are guitar centered like lay low or OBH etc. I don't think this album quite had a song like that, and I wouldn't describe The Waterfall as rock centric necessarily.

Same here !!!!!!!!!! Was hoping the next album would be more rock again

grizzy

Meh.

I mean, I'd obviously check it out cause I'm MMJ obsessed...BUT...I was sort of hoping for some rock and alt country folk from the boys on this 2nd part. Guess it's just not a direction Jim wants to go in anymore. I really love The Waterfall but sometimes feel Carl isn't utilized like he once was. I dunno...maybe I'm off on that.

"Dance" music doesn't move the needle for me. However, new jacket music is better than no jacket music.

voxware

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 05, 2015, 09:47 AM

But Jim does soul right, so this could be interesting.

I'd definitely love some live staples like lay low or OBH but I would say this album does seem more guitar heavy than the previous two.  What I need more of is Carl's slide guitar/pedal steel, I believe he brings it out on one of the tracks (forget which atm, Get the point?) but nothing like slow, slow tune or smokin' from shootin'

Stevie

All I know is this:  after hearing The Waterfall I have complete faith that whatever else they made in Stinson Beach will also be amazing. 

grizzy

Quote from: Stevie on May 06, 2015, 04:12 PM
All I know is this:  after hearing The Waterfall I have complete faith that whatever else they made in Stinson Beach will also be amazing. 

True.

As long as it isn't a dance record.  :drum:

MMPJ6306

The idea is really interesting, especially since I figured Regions was Jim's way of exorcising his least rock/MMJ instincts. Z was my entry point to the band and I've always really liked Evil Urges, which are probably the two biggest outliers in their discography.

I don't think I'm capable of disliking anything they do, but I have to admit that another Z/EU is less appealing than, say, another ISM...

Maybe the next next one will be their big return to the alt-country/southern sound.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

dub82

I will give anything these guys do a chance, but I really hope this isn't true. I was not a fan of regions of light at all, and hope we get another solid rock record.

Personally, I think they could pull off a great country record.

soundgarden1981

if its dancey like touch me part 2 then i cant wait!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Jamfish

Remember in 2014, I think it was a picture posted on twitter of some saxophones in the studio.  I don't hear any sax on the waterfall, so maybe that's on the 2nd album...

timescaper

Quote from: dub82 on May 07, 2015, 09:28 AM
I will give anything these guys do a chance, but I really hope this isn't true. I was not a fan of regions of light at all, and hope we get another solid rock record.

Personally, I think they could pull off a great country record.

i'm excited by the news... to me they've already made a great country record - I think At Dawn is a top notch country-styled record and It Still Moves is THE alt-country record.

I would expect a more Curtis Mayfield and Sly Stone approach based on Jim's recent interviews and I'm totally good with that!

marino13

I've read several reviews that have said The Waterfall is better than the last two albums because Jim basically toned down his wilder impulses and better meshed them with a more signature MMJ sound.  I agree with this line of thought, and picture this "dance" album to be all of Jim's shittiest wild impulses crapped onto a single shitty album.  I hope I'm wrong.  I really like The Waterfall so far, but it's about as far as I want them to go toward soul.  The thought that they now consider this to be a "rock" record scares me a bit. 

bartel

MMJ soul and dance stuff is very good I think.. touch me part 2 and more experimental stuff like touch me part 1 and highly suspicious really do it for me so this is great news to me... The more adventurous they are the better in my book. 

SpaceWrangler

Quote from: soundgarden1981 on May 07, 2015, 10:14 AM
if its dancey like touch me part 2 then i cant wait!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

THIS^^^^

...And I think Soul/Dance is just another way of saying "funky"... they do really well with funky covers - a la "Move on Up" and "All Night Long."  Nothing to worry about here guys.  They'll crush it. 
The Fact That My Heart's Beating IS ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED

WinstonLegthigh

I would categorize The Waterfall as very much an experimental album - There were elements of it that I was expecting Regions of Light... to sound like prior to hearing it (ROLSOG). If there is another album on it's way, I'd welcome some of the more familiar MMJ.

Lucius

In my books new sounds and experiments win against retreading old ground every single god damn day of the week! I have total faith in the band to deliver something amazing.

it wouldn't be a party without you

ffghtrs

been listening to Curtis Mayfield ever since 2012 Red Rocks and since reading that Jim is a big fan...i'm all for the soul and dance....word.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

jimsflyingv

DidnĀ“t Jim said recently he wants to do another live album again ? Would love to have a new live DVD and Vinyl from my favorite band :cheesy: Could live with a dance and soul album if it comes with a rockinĀ“live album shortly after

mahg33ta

Quote from: marino13 on May 07, 2015, 11:46 AM
I've read several reviews that have said The Waterfall is better than the last two albums because Jim basically toned down his wilder impulses and better meshed them with a more signature MMJ sound.  I agree with this line of thought, and picture this "dance" album to be all of Jim's shittiest wild impulses crapped onto a single shitty album.  I hope I'm wrong.  I really like The Waterfall so far, but it's about as far as I want them to go toward soul.  The thought that they now consider this to be a "rock" record scares me a bit.

I agree with this too.   There's a similarity between Jim's solo album and this album that has an element I don't like.   It's like a strong ingredient like cilantro, that is too much for me to take in Jim's album but is held in check on the waterfall.   It's still noticable but not enough to distract.