Waterfall = Yield

Started by rna2525, May 12, 2015, 11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rna2525

I totally get the vibe that this record is totally like Yield was for Pearl Jam.Its a true curveball like yield was back then when it came out after the 1st few albums PJ put out.I think its absolutely pure genius and when its all said and done might b one of the best MMJ records.It is a total different sound for MMJ and I'm confused as how it will sound during the tour when they pick and choose certain songs from the album.I think this needs to b played front to back for its real feel.Any body else get this feeling that its like Yield?

buymycar

I thought it was generally accepted that No Code was the curveball album?

Nikkogino

I see the Waterfall as less of a curveball than Evil Urges, or even Z.  With Z, MMJ totally changed their sound and flipped the "southern rock" tag the band had on it's head.  Then Evil Urges blew it away with soul influences and Prince-like falsettos.  This album isn't that "revolutionary" in the scope of MMJ's discography.  If I had to compare it to another band, I'd say it is their "in rainbows" as it is a return to form for them, showing what they do best, while still experimenting.  At Dawn was their "the bends" and ISM was their "ok computer."  Z was their "Kid A."

bartel

going by that formula no code would be the comparison but I feel like Z or evil urges was their curve ball album. Apart from MMJ stealing PJ's mantle as best live band in recent years these bands are nothing alike.. MMJ are sooo much superior it's scary.

Nikkogino

I agree....MMJ is so much more interesting to listen to.  Their songs are more varied and they jump around from style to style.  Jim playing guitar also makes them more interesting in the live setting.  I own all of PJ's records, but there really is no comparison.

parkervb

Quote from: bartel on May 13, 2015, 09:08 AM
going by that formula no code would be the comparison but I feel like Z or evil urges was their curve ball album. Apart from MMJ stealing PJ's mantle as best live band in recent years these bands are nothing alike.. MMJ are sooo much superior it's scary.

i don't know about 2 extra o's in "so" superior.  It's obviously subjective but laying down 3 hour shows after 20+ years in is pretty effing good.  I connect with MMJ in a much stronger way but I still think PJ puts on a better live performance.
Don't you ever turn it off

halesdd

Quote from: bartel on May 13, 2015, 09:08 AM
Apart from MMJ stealing PJ's mantle as best live band in recent years these bands are nothing alike.. MMJ are sooo much superior it's scary.

Woah.  Lets calm it down a bit.  As a die hard fan of both, it is certainly subjective.  MMJ may have viewed as a better live act in recent years (not agreeing that this is true necessarily) but you have to keep in mind PJ has been around several years ahead of MMJ.  As we've read, Jim has become worn down through the years of hard work and touring which will begin to show in the energy level they produce live as each tour approaches.  They are not impervious to the effects of time.

Quote from: Nikkogino on May 13, 2015, 08:03 AM
I see the Waterfall as less of a curveball than Evil Urges, or even Z.  With Z, MMJ totally changed their sound and flipped the "southern rock" tag the band had on it's head.  Then Evil Urges blew it away with soul influences and Prince-like falsettos.  This album isn't that "revolutionary" in the scope of MMJ's discography.  If I had to compare it to another band, I'd say it is their "in rainbows" as it is a return to form for them, showing what they do best, while still experimenting.  At Dawn was their "the bends" and ISM was their "ok computer."  Z was their "Kid A."

100% agree.  I think Waterfalls ties together the paths of Z and Evil Urges and is not as revolutionary in the progression of their sound.  Not to say it doesn't have its own unique sounds that introduce themselves on this album but it doesn't completely change the trajectory of their sound.  Great album and the guys should be proud.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

APR

Quote from: buymycar on May 13, 2015, 02:58 AM

Yes.

And I think the Waterfall is more along the lines of a continued evolution compared to a sharp turn.  It's amazing!

Since Radiohead was mentioned, I'd also like to add that parts of In Its Infancy (The Waterfall) gave me a Radiohead vibe..... not the song but the production or the background sounds going on in a good chunk of the song...at least when turned up with my solid headphones.

Stevie

Quote from: APR on May 13, 2015, 01:25 PM
Quote from: buymycar on May 13, 2015, 02:58 AM

Yes.

And I think the Waterfall is more along the lines of a continued evolution compared to a sharp turn.  It's amazing!

Since Radiohead was mentioned, I'd also like to add that parts of In Its Infancy (The Waterfall) gave me a Radiohead vibe..... not the song but the production or the background sounds going on in a good chunk of the song...at least when turned up with my solid headphones.

I very much agree.what's interesting about the waterfall is that you can certainly gain a lot by putting on a good pair of headphones to listen to it its a whole new album that way. However it still has the type of sound that you can crank up in the car with the windows rolled down and even though you don't gets some of the intricacies that way it still sounds outstanding. 

I too would love to experience the waterfall from front to back however I plan on going to many shows on the store so I think after a while the predictability would take away from the show a little bit. I really have no idea how they are going to sequence the setlist to make this all work but I think we will start to see that some of their older songs are good partners with the newer ones. the first one that comes to my mind would be I will sing you songs.perhaps even more so, the coda to that song off of the album, that short instrumental that just feels like you are floating down the stream.

sweatboard

The biggest comparison I can draw between PJ and MMJ at this point is that their live shows are so much better than their records.   I just hope each album has 2 or 3 songs that can kill it live and I'm happy.....I don't expect another 10 or It Still Moves. 
There's Still Time.........

amskinz

I think we'll all have a clearer idea of where The Waterfall falls on the PJ scale next year when we get another album (from the sounds of it at least). Friends and I have been debating the tone of the album in relation to it being the first released on a major label. We wonder if there was any influence pushed on the band (though I don't think they would go along with it anyways). Will the next release have a similar feel, or go in the opposite direction yet again? We'll see...
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

PJAMVedder

My favorite live show between PJ and MMJ is the one I am at in that moment.

Cameron

I agree that No Code was the real curve ball.  Coming off of Vitalogy nobody would have expected to hear "Who You Are" as the first single.  No Code and Yield are my favorite PJ albums though.

Drhtx

I think waterfall is more like no code myself.  I think these are by far the two top live bands right now. I caught 5 MMJ shows between OBH and the waterfall tour (seen them 13 times); I also went to 5 shows on the lightning bolt tour (seen them 26 times). I give the edge to PJ, but reasonable minds can certainly differ. Both bands are capable of raising the bar and playing a legendary show on any given night. 

APR

Quote from: Cameron on May 26, 2015, 11:48 AM
I agree that No Code was the real curve ball.  Coming off of Vitalogy nobody would have expected to hear "Who You Are" as the first single.  No Code and Yield are my favorite PJ albums though.

"Who You Are" was definitely surprising and a way for PJ to calm things down by throwing such a curve ball.  If "Hail, Hail" was the first single, then things would have been quite different...... bigger sales, more popular, etc.

Drhtx

Quote from: APR on Aug 21, 2015, 11:53 AM
Quote from: Cameron on May 26, 2015, 11:48 AM

"Who You Are" was definitely surprising and a way for PJ to calm things down by throwing such a curve ball.  If "Hail, Hail" was the first single, then things would have been quite different...... bigger sales, more popular, etc.

Same could be said with Smile.  It's crazy how many people who claim to "like pearl jam" have never heard this song.  Had it been the first single, it would have been a big hit and made them more popular amongst a huge legion of douchebags.