Rank each track...in this thread

Started by grizzy, May 04, 2015, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slappymoe

here's my list from may 5th. slight changes, nothing major. still love the compound fracture groove :beer:

compound fracture - love at first listen
tropics
thin line
spring
only memories
believe
in its infancy
get the point
like a river
big d

GT

I get a Led Zeppelin vibe (my *other* favourite band) on a lot of this album, especially tracks like tropics, like a river, in its infancy.   The "shades of light and dark" that Jimmy Page always wanted.

Patrick's drumming has always reminded me of Bonham, but now we also have the prominent keyboards and those warm bass progressions.

Anyway, my current ranking:

tropics
thin line
like a river
in its infancy
only memories
compound fracture
spring
get the point
believe
big decisions

SouthernBelle

1. In Its Infancy (The Waterfall) = Because I am in love with these lines:

"Again I stop the waterfall by simply thinking
Again I stop the waterfall before my breathing
Again I stop the waterfall by finally feeling
Again I stop the waterfall by just believing
" - pure genious! :cheesy:

2. Big Decisions = Love it, just love it so much!
3. Like a River = Love it how this song reminds me so much of Into The Woods and I LOOOVE that song!

4. Believe (Nobody Knows)
5. Spring (Among The Living)
6. Get the point
7. Tropics (Erase Traces)
8. Thin Line
9. Only Memories Remain
10. Compound Fracture
It's funny how your lights are off but your music's on.

ironmike

Hillside song then everything else

johnnYYac

1. Spring (Among the Living)
2. Thin Line
3. Tropics (Erase Traces)
4. Like a River
5. Only Memories Remain
6. Get The Point
7. Compound Fracture
8. In it's Infancy (the Waterfall)
9. Big Decisions
10. Believe (Nobody Knows)

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SVRDhand13

After about 30 listens...  :cool:

1.  Compound Fracture
2.  In It's Infancy
3.  Tropics
4.  Only Memories Remain
5.  Spring
6.  Thin Line
7.  Like a River
8.  Believe
9.  Big Decisions
10. Get the Point
10: T5 (At Dawn, Z, Evil Urges) 11: VA, MSG, 2012: BK, Cap Theater 1-2 15: GovBall, XPN, Beacon 2+3

RobRoy286

I seriously can't rank them anymore. Every track has grown on me, and I feel bad knocking any of them down the list. I will say that I initially didn't care for Tropics, until I heard it live. That's climbed way up my list. Same for Like A River and especially In Its Infancy.

gardenparty

Whenever I hear the beginning and end to In It's Infancy I can't help but think Spinal Tap/Stonehendge and the Druids.  Makes it tough for me to take it seriously

other than that I really love everything on the album including the rest of the song

RobRoy286

You mean the "The idea was always there" line? Reminds me of Pink Floyd.

The whole song in general strikes me as a mix between Steam Engine, The Day Is Coming, and Pink Floyd.

gardenparty

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jun 05, 2015, 03:40 PM
You mean the "The idea was always there" line? Reminds me of Pink Floyd.

The whole song in general strikes me as a mix between Steam Engine, The Day Is Coming, and Pink Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXzzHM8zLw

e-stone

Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 05, 2015, 01:47 PM
Whenever I hear the beginning and end to In It's Infancy I can't help but think Spinal Tap/Stonehendge and the Druids.  Makes it tough for me to take it seriously

other than that I really love everything on the album including the rest of the song

YES x 1000.  easily my least favorite parts of the entire album.  too bad, as the rest of the song is great.

LB

1. Tropics
2. Infancy
3. Only Memories Remain
4. Get the Point
5. Compound
6. Big Deci
7. Thin
8. Like a River
9. Spring
10. Believe

rough draft
no you never gotta fight with me

byrdpickem

1)Tropics
2)Thin Line (this song is soooooo underrated)
3)Infancy
4)Compound
5)Only Memories
6)Get The Point
7)Spring
8)Big Decisions
9)Like A River
10)Believe

LB

i agree byrd, Thin is very good
no you never gotta fight with me

slappymoe

Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 05, 2015, 01:47 PM

Ever since i read this post, i find myself laughing out loud when i hear this part of the song.  :thumbsup:

while i'm here, i'll do a third and final re-ranking:

compound fracture
tropics
thin line
spring
believe
the waterfall
like a river
only memories
big d
get the point

as others have said, it's tough to do because i like them all (even big d has grown on me), but there's got to be a first and a last.

ruralt

The more I hear Compound live the more I have to move it up my list. Spring continues to solidify its number one spot, though. Funny because I did not care for it at all when they first released it. I hope that one part toward the end where Jim's soloing gets stretched out a bit. Soul crushing.

HardNightConformist

Quote from: HardNightConformist on May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM
I'm very surprised to see the unanimous love for Only Memories Remain. I'm left wanting so much more with that song. Around 5:20 into the song they could've taken it somewhere completely different and tied it all together with a hectic climax, but instead the song just stays the course and dies off.

Here's my list:

1.) Believe (Nobody Knows)
2.) Spring (Among The Living)
3.) Tropics (Erase Traces)
4.) Compound Fracture
5.) In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
6.) Get The Point
7.) Thin Line
8.) Like A River
9.) Only Memories Remain
10.) Big Decisions

Oh, how things change.

After growing more familiar with each song, my list is about to look a lot different. Ask me again in a week and I'm sure it'll change again.

1.) Like A River - whaaaaaat? Not sure if this is gonna stand, but at this very moment it has to be my favourite. Why did I give this song another chance? Two weeks ago I was talking to my friend about how bad the song was, and I said "really? aayy-iioo aayy-iioo aayy-iioo ayyoo? that's it?". From that moment, that part was stuck in my head all day, until I finally realized that I liked it this whole time and didn't even know it.

2.) Only Memories Remain - Really, really wasn't into this song at first. But I was able to realize why that was. I was expecting and hoping it would turn into something epic ala Dondante or Steam Engine, so I was disappointed with every listen. So instead, I thought of it as a song to play on late night bus rides or while having a cigar, and I learned to love it.

3.) Hillside Song - It was a great day when I realized I forgot there was a deluxe version of the album. Loved this right away. Closest to old MMJ we get on this album. Simple, beautiful and honest.

4.) Believe - Nothing special live. Still one of my favourite studio songs. Simply puts me in a good mood.

5.) Thin Line - Starting listening to it at the same time as Like A River. Jim's high-pitched voice in this is just hooks you in.

6.) Spring - Loved it when it first came out, but that may be attributed to the fact that I really wasn't feeling Big Decisions. Still a great tune, but there are better on the album.

7.) Compound Fracture - Slight dip on the list. But if it's 25 and sunny and I'm about to start my day, this is likely the song I'll choose.

8.) In It's Infancy - "Again again again" on the album  :undecided: ... "Again again again" live  :cheesy:

9.) Tropics - This is the song I feel like I should like more. I recognize it probably should be my favourite, but it doesn't evoke as much feeling out of me like River or Believe do.

10.) Get The Point - The song I sing in the shower. Really like this tune but it's hard to put it any higher on the list.

11.) Big Decisions - One of my least favourite MMJ songs  :embarrassed: (can you tell I'm getting lazy with this list now?)

--not gonna count "I Can't Wait" because I heard it so long ago. Also, I like the original version better.

Jackets N Pones

1. Tropics
2. Believe
3. Waterfall
4. Thin Line
5. Like a River
6. Compound
7. Spring
8. Thin Line
9. Big D
10. Get the Point
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire