New Album Speculation

Started by wamsankas, Jul 19, 2015, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YimYodd

"If it's anything like his last one, I hope not."

I love Jim's solo album! The tour he did for it was killer! I saw him 4 times on that tour (front row for 3 of the 4 shows) and thought the energy and intimacy of the venues was fantastic! Plus, his backing band members are all very skilled professionals. I can't wait for his next album/tour!

I'm with you Mr. White!, and WAS with you on the rail for the show at the Mercy in Nashville where we also met Big Herm and his wife. Several other forum members up front too. Energy of the great band  that nite was fantastic. We met Dave(drummer ) after show - he was carrying the broken foot pedal from his bass drum and proud that he was playing so hard that he broke it!
I was also a lucky winner of passes to the tour kickoff show at the basement in Nashville . Jim looked so proud (maybe a little nervous too).
Carl opened (unplugged) then joined band for the encore of 4 MMJ tunes .
Looking forward to another solo album, whenever it comes.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

evilPaauwe

Black Metal is the greatest thing to come from MMJ since its release in 2011
cheers.

justbcuzido

So for anyone who has heard any bit of the new track Throwback, what are your thoughts?

After seeing it last night in Houston, my thoughts are it's sort of like a mix (of the worst parts) of Big Decisions + Believe. Catchy very poppy riff with repeating catchy chorus. Very straight forward pop rock. I will say the intro guitar work by Carl was cool and there was a jam; however, I hope this isn't what Jim meant when he said he was interested in making a more Rockin' record next. Maybe I just need to hear it again, but it wasn't inspiring to me.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Jamfish

Quote from: justbcuzido on Apr 29, 2016, 12:14 PM
So for anyone who has heard any bit of the new track Throwback, what are your thoughts?

After seeing it last night in Houston, my thoughts are it's sort of like a mix (of the worst parts) of Big Decisions + Believe. Catchy very poppy riff with repeating catchy chorus. Very straight forward pop rock. I will say the intro guitar work by Carl was cool and there was a jam; however, I hope this isn't what Jim meant when he said he was interested in making a more Rockin' record next. Maybe I just need to hear it again, but it wasn't inspiring to me.

I felt the same way when I first heard Big Decisions...
Anybody know of a youtube vid or live audio out there yet?

amskinz

Big Decisions is one of the few songs MMJ has done with a co-writing credit, not solely Jim. Those things happen when you're on a major label and they want a "single". I'm sure that's a big reason it's been in the doghouse for most of its short existence. If that and Black Metal are what most people consider the bands worst tumes, that still makes them better than 99% of the bands out there today.
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

rincon2

Never heard Black Metal as being one of the worst tunes by fans view. I have heard some people don't like it, but also many people think it is the best song on Circuital. I can't even listen to that whole album. Reminds me of Sesame Street.

justbcuzido

Quote from: amskinz on Apr 29, 2016, 12:59 PM
Big Decisions is one of the few songs MMJ has done with a co-writing credit, not solely Jim. Those things happen when you're on a major label and they want a "single". I'm sure that's a big reason it's been in the doghouse for most of its short existence. If that and Black Metal are what most people consider the bands worst tumes, that still makes them better than 99% of the bands out there today.

People seem to love Black Metal when it's played live. That song goes so hard. IDK, I just felt Big Decisions was a misstep a little and kind of how I felt last night with this possible new song. It just seemed very generic pop rock light, and it feels weird coming from these guys. I just hope it's not the direction the next album follows..

That said, I'm not totally writing it off until I've given the final product several listens.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

amskinz

I really enjoy Black Metal. They've even said in the past they were trying to make that song sound the way it does in hopes it'd be a breakout single. It indeed rocks live! Like I said, Big Decisions may have been more of a label suggested song more than a band song. I haven't had a chance to hear the new tune so I can't comment. I look forward to someone posting a clip of it!

mynameiscurt

I love black metal. Have really been missing it live lately.  One day we'll catch them with a horn section and all remember how much fun it was!

ruralt

I got to OKC early and heard them practicing it a lot before the show and was trying to figure out what the hell it was.  I definitely agree with your assessment, it's very much straightforward pop-rock in the vein of "Big Decisions." But I like it a lot more than "Big Decisions" (not as much as "Believe" though). It just seemed like an average song. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I liked the chords and the harmonies. And it was stuck in my head all day today.

bartel

I didn't love that new song either but I feel like a MMJ record has so many different types of sounds on it. So if you don't like throwback there will be others on the radar that you will enjoy more.

buymycar

Quote from: mynameiscurt on Apr 29, 2016, 02:44 PM
I love black metal. Have really been missing it live lately.  One day we'll catch them with a horn section and all remember how much fun it was!

Black Metal with the PHJB is sublime. Was lucky enough to get it in Oakland back in 2011.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

amskinz

Thanks for posting! Sounds good to me. Little Traveling Wilburys-y.

LB

Quote from: ruralt on Apr 29, 2016, 06:03 PM

I got to OKC early and heard them practicing it a lot before the show and was trying to figure out what the hell it was.  I definitely agree with your assessment, it's very much straightforward pop-rock in the vein of "Big Decisions." But I like it a lot more than "Big Decisions" (not as much as "Believe" though). It just seemed like an average song. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I liked the chords and the harmonies. And it was stuck in my head all day today.

I laughed when I saw that it was stuck in your head all day. I saw a clip of it live and was like "oh that's nice", then after two days of it being stuck in my head I can't wait to hear what it sounds like on the album.
no you never gotta fight with me

parkervb

agree with the very pop-oriented sound and song structure (at least what I've heard).  Kinda reminds me of a Big Star track...

I'll w/hold final judgement on this, but it seems like a good song...for another band.
Don't you ever turn it off

gardenparty

So they are playing a new song on this tour and the ACL live stream link mentions "previews of its upcoming 2016 lp" 

Is it possible we will get new MMJ in 2016?   That'd be most excellent

millerjustin

Quote from: gardenparty on May 02, 2016, 01:21 PM
So they are playing a new song on this tour and the ACL live stream link mentions "previews of its upcoming 2016 lp" 

Is it possible we will get new MMJ in 2016?   That'd be most excellent

I'm guessing we'll see Throwback plus one or two more new songs at ACL tonight.  This being said, one of two things is happening:

1)  if they are following same formula as Waterfall with new label, then OBH2 "leak" of 3 new songs led to a May release of the Waterfall.  This could indicate a Fall or early winter release (blowing up OBH3 with new material); or

2)  they will continue to road test new material throughout the year (which looks light so far in terms of touring) and follow the same formula as above following OBH3.

#2 seems much more likely - especially given the fact that Jim is busy remastering and with his new solo album.  Also, the 2016 tour schedule released thus far isn't built for a major roll-out.

So, I'd say let's be happy with the little gems they drop on us this year and get ready for a kick ass 2017!!!
What's in here won't disappear

MOWJO8185

It feels like a number of publications are still citing the expectation for an MMJ album this year based on the initial comments from the band on releasing two albums close together. It seems like they have really backed off those comments in more recent press, however. I think 2nd quarter of 2017 is the earliest we could expect an album.

LB

me too, I'm thinking 2017.

Btw, I thought throwback was fucking great on ACL. Jim had a ton of energy.
Great song.
no you never gotta fight with me