New Album Speculation

Started by wamsankas, Jul 19, 2015, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedwonder

Throwback sounds like an up tempo Beatles song. Kept waiting to hear all the ladies screaming.

Not horrible but not preferred.

Maybe if they slow it down a notch and noodle it in the middle.

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

jimsflyingv

It is an okay Jacket song which makes it better than most songs from other bands :-) The guitar part is awesome

parkervb

Quote from: parkervb on May 02, 2016, 12:11 PM
agree with the very pop-oriented sound and song structure (at least what I've heard).  Kinda reminds me of a Big Star track...

I'll w/hold final judgement on this, but it seems like a good song...for another band.

like I said I was going to w/hold final judgement...

it's a rad fucking song!!! Anytime we get the "Jim saunters over to jam with Carl" moments, I am in!

Here's a link straight to it from last night https://youtu.be/gQEnEYY7GAA?t=46m30s
Don't you ever turn it off

justbcuzido

After hearing it again live last night, I am more onboard with this tune. They are definitely working the kinks out with it as the Jam portion was WAY extended at the ACL taping compared to Houston. The Houston show it was pretty short (was my favorite part). I still think the lyrics are a bit cheesy but I feel like it may be the point of the "Throwback" to pop songs. It has great potential live.

Also, I loved the moment before the song started and Jim takes a step back kind of looks up to the sky and takes a DEEP DEEP breath, exhales and they start. Kind of showed a more human side of him of a bit of nerves and hesitation of playing a new song for a TV audience. pretty cool.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

amskinz

Quote from: justbcuzido on May 03, 2016, 11:20 AM
Also, I loved the moment before the song started and Jim takes a step back kind of looks up to the sky and takes a DEEP DEEP breath, exhales and they start. Kind of showed a more human side of him of a bit of nerves and hesitation of playing a new song for a TV audience. pretty cool.

Totally agree. We all talk about it taking a few listens to get acquainted with new tunes. Even if they've played it 100 times together already, it still takes time to get it where they're comfortable with an audience. And once they're comfortable, it opens it up to even more changes! That's the beauty!!!
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

e-stone

Quote from: parkervb on May 03, 2016, 08:29 AM
Quote from: parkervb on May 02, 2016, 12:11 PM
agree with the very pop-oriented sound and song structure (at least what I've heard).  Kinda reminds me of a Big Star track...

I'll w/hold final judgement on this, but it seems like a good song...for another band.

like I said I was going to w/hold final judgement...

it's a rad fucking song!!! Anytime we get the "Jim saunters over to jam with Carl" moments, I am in!

Here's a link straight to it from last night https://youtu.be/gQEnEYY7GAA?t=46m30s

thanks for posting a direct link.  i still don't get how anyone can argue that a new song - with that kind of jam in the middle - isn't EXACTLY what we NEED from this band right now!

dub82

The only thing with throwback is I hope on the new album, the producer doesn't take pats power away. Sec walkin, Smokin, all sounded unreal live. Then on the album, the drums sounded like a baby fart.

Unleash pats fury!

antonio

Anyone have a different link to that Throwback performance? The ACL direct link is now private.

TIA.

LB

idk I get the vibe like What A Wonderful Man X Big Decisions
no you never gotta fight with me

TGMC421

Quote from: dub82 on May 03, 2016, 10:31 PM
The only thing with throwback is I hope on the new album, the producer doesn't take pats power away. Sec walkin, Smokin, all sounded unreal live. Then on the album, the drums sounded like a baby fart.

Unleash pats fury!

Haha! So true!

slappymoe

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/arts/music/2016/05/10/my-morning-jacket-iroquois-park-louisville/84134966/

James said that a new MMJ album is taking shape, but not the one that fans were expecting. When "The Waterfall" was released last May it was announced that there were more than enough songs for a second, vastly different album to be released this year.

Some of that music is still in play, but a recent surge of inspiration got in the way. Some of the leftover "Waterfall" music will still be used, but the album will take off in yet another direction.

"I feel like a month ago I didn't have any idea when I'd want to make another My Morning Jacket record, and then all of these songs popped out and I got super excited," said James, who anticipates a 2017 release.

parkervb

also teases that there may be a second new song played

AlwxanderD10

Hopefully Throwback is indeed one of those leftover waterfall tracks and not part of the recent surge of inspiration.

MOWJO8185

Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on May 10, 2016, 11:41 AM
Hopefully Throwback is indeed one of those leftover waterfall tracks and not part of the recent surge of inspiration.

My guess is the opposite.

parkervb

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on May 10, 2016, 12:18 PM
Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on May 10, 2016, 11:41 AM

My guess is the opposite.

i'd be very surprised if Throwback is from the Waterfall sessions.  I get that not everyone is going to like Throwback but what is encouraging (for some) is the possible return to songs w/ more guitar interplay that we did not seem to get much of on The Waterfall.

My opinion on Throwback comes down to this: anytime a song provides a moment for Jim to saunter over to Carl for a jam, I am in.

rincon2

Throwback is a very good melodic pop song with a good jam in the middle.  :thumbsup: It ain't Run thru, but neither is the rest of ISM. My guess is it is just a tile in the mosaic of a new album, and just like Big Decisions, it does not set the tone of what to expect.

APR

Quote from: rincon2 on May 10, 2016, 12:59 PM
Throwback is a very good melodic pop song with a good jam in the middle.  :thumbsup: It ain't Run thru, but neither is the rest of ISM. My guess is it is just a tile in the mosaic of a new album, and just like Big Decisions, it does not set the tone of what to expect.

So true.  I can't think of one song off the last few albums that sets the tone for the rest of that album.  Big Decisions or I'm Amazed (recent singles) were not indicative of the rest of the album.  No two songs are alike, which is why MMJ albums remind me of an incredible mix tape.

Human Sauce

I'm loving the ACL version of Throwback. Got a Neil Young vibe to it. I'll be stoked if this is the direction they're heading for a new album.

ruralt

Quote from: Human Sauce on May 12, 2016, 11:42 PM
I'm loving the ACL version of Throwback. Got a Neil Young vibe to it. I'll be stoked if this is the direction they're heading for a new album.

Funny you say that. I heard the song a few times waiting for the OKC show, and heard it during the show, but despite that, when I watched the ACL performance I still didn't know it was that song... During the intro on ACL I said, "What's this? It sounds like Neil Young."

Saw it tonight thanks to some generous soul on Periscope, and I have to say, the more I hear it, the more I like it. The jam in the song is definitely contributing to that. We didn't get that in OKC.

LowDownLuvDawg

First time I heard Throwback tonight thought it was pretty Dope.

I mean Carl is basically double fisting his gold top and sax. Nuff said?