Jim James – My Morning Jacket

Best Albums of 2004

Dr. Dog - Easy Beat
Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Danger Mouse - The Grey Album

Favorite Live Performance of 2004

Gillian Welch / David Rawlings - Live at Bonnaroo

Favorite On-Stage Moment/Show of 2004

When we played at Bonnaroo, it felt like the world was ending and we were on top of it.

Classic Album or Artist You Rediscovered This Year

Joni Mitchell - I had never really liked Joni as a kid, but recently people have turned me on to her music and I think it is so powerful and powerfully amazing.

Artist You Are Most Excited About in 2005

TIE: Andrew Bird / Dr. Dog / M. Ward

Best New Gadget You Can't Live Without

iPod has revolutionized the way we travelers can have our entire record collection at our fingertips, and it makes me value sitting at home with my real records even more too.

New Hobby Discovered This Year

I have discovered sports. I never really cared for "sports" too much but now I have some friends who have showed me some beautiful things about "sports."

Guilty Pleasure of the Year  

I am not guilty about any of my pleasures (well...)

The Retro Comeback You're Hoping for in 2005?

I don't like retro comebacks. Pretty much every retro comeback I've seen that I was excited about ( Simon and Garfunkel, The Pixies) just turned out to be some bored artists that needed money.

They asked quite a few cool artists...check out Glide.com

Jellyfish

Sweet! Thanks for posting that. ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Sal Paradise

I like that Danger Mouse album too. It's crazy.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

rent-a-rocker

Kelefa Sannah wrote up Dr. Dog on the front page of the New York Times arts section today Tues Dec 14 2004.  A favorable review...mentioned Jim helping them out.  Cool.

-r-a-r  

sweatboard

is the grey album the black album mixed with the white album?
There's Still Time.........

CC

Quoteis the grey album the black album mixed with the white album?

yeah, that's the one.
haven't heard it yet but it must be a real trip.

marktwain

yeah, that's the one.
haven't heard it yet but it must be a real trip.

It took a lot to make me like Jay-Z, but this album did it!  Check it out - it's free (and it's subversive!)  

EC

http://www.illegal-art.org/audio/grey.html

You can git it here.  I can also gmail it if anyone wants - just shoot me a message.  That way they save on bandwidth...  (whatever the hell bandwidth is)

ben grimm

I had it on my ipod but mrs grim wiped by accident, its awesome.

Oz

Quoteis the grey album the black album mixed with the white album?

Hmm, when I read this, I thought it was Metallica mixed with The Beatles. Bummer.
I'm ready when you are

Oz

Then again, I'm listening to it now and I can't deny fucking liking this. :)
I'm ready when you are

sweatboard

Ok, I guess I'll have to give this album a try it's hard for me to imagine it being very good but if both Jim James and O like it I better give it a try.
There's Still Time.........

MMJ_fanatic

I took a taste test and it hasn't hooked me yet
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Oz

QuoteOk, I guess I'll have to give this album a try it's hard for me to imagine it being very good but if both Jim James and O like it I better give it a try.

Well, I would definitely not go as far as calling it album of the year. It's more like... fun. :)
I'm ready when you are

EC

I agree.  Half the fun of this is the "Hey... Wait, are they?...  Are they?...  Are they playing it backwards?....  Cooool."

Okay.  Today I found this: www.jay-zeezer.com.  It's the Black album mixed with the Blue album.  It's good for a listen-through.  It kind of works, too, although I think the Grey Album is more artful.  You have to check out the pictures, though.  They're pretty funny.  99 Problems with Buddy Holly.  heh.

marktwain

I've heard of other grey-album inspired mixes.  Somebody did use Metallica.  Another was the Slack Album - Jay-Z and Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted.  That's all I can remember now.