Steam Engine vs. Dondante

Started by Jbpats, Aug 03, 2015, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sköldpadda

Well, I've seen Dondante every time I've seen them and I love it every time.

But I saw them play Steam Engine at Bonnaroo 2008 and I was talking to God during that song, so there's that.

kholl44

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Aug 04, 2015, 02:20 PM
This is why this band is so amazing!!!
You can have friendly (heated) debates (arguments) about a list of songs...

Steam vs Dondante
PWW vs Touch Me or 2
Lowdown vs Dancefloors
Mahgeetah vs Lay Low
Off the Record vs Tropics
The Bear vs IWSYS
War Begun vs Gideon
Anytime vs Run Thru

And so on and so on... Etc. etc..
Just such electrifying music!!!!

This list is like the cruelest 'would you rather' I have ever seen
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

ruralt

Live: Steam Engine
Studio: Dondante

Keep in mind I've never seen either song live in person, just going off of numerous tapings I've listened to, the easiest and most obvious example being 04 Bonnaroo. Even with the recording being crap, which wasn't the taper's fault - you have to consider what was going on at the time - it still feels epic as [expletive deleted]. Even without being there, listening to the entire show, you still get the sense that the band was interacting with nature, or had somehow summoned a summer thunderstorm with music.  I was in tears the first time I heard it.

On the other hand, the studio version of Steam Engine is alright, but peanuts compared to Dondante. I'd say it's one of the greatest moments captured in a recording studio ever, by any band, in any discography. Pure, raw... I can't use words to describe it.

tippitoes22

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 03, 2015, 09:24 PM
Your skin looks good in moonlight
And goddamn those shaky knees
The fact that my heart's beating
Is all the proof you need

Probably some of the best lyrics Yim EVER penned...!
:thumbsup:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

dondante24

Both are Top 10 MMJ songs for me but I'll go with Steam Engine.

Discovering Dondante was one of the songs that converted me from a casual fan to a engaged fan. Steam Engine transitioned me from an engaged fan to a "this is one of the best live bands of all-time and I need to see them every chance I get!"

mahg33ta

Steam engine for the win.  For all the reasons everyone has said.  I like a good buildup and release.   The verse quoted above is way more fun than dondante, which has the "you had me worried"

mahg33ta

Ps I love PWW too but not wild about how it has evolved over the  past few years.  I don't like the flavor of the end jam as much as they used to do

GO4IT

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 05, 2015, 01:26 PM
Ps I love PWW too but not wild about how it has evolved over the  past few years.  I don't like the flavor of the end jam as much as they used to do

I agree.  The best PWW I have heard in 30+ shows (about half with PWWs) was in 2008 in Philly.

walterfredo

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: GO4IT on Aug 05, 2015, 11:28 PM

I agree.  The best PWW I have heard in 30+ shows (about half with PWWs) was in 2008 in Philly.

Festival pier?

patrickbateman

I honestly feel like Rollin Back doesn't get nearly enough credit. Maybe not "epic" in the traditional sense but just an unbelievable song studio or live. One of my favorites by any band

halesdd

Dondante is it for me.  Steam Engine is amazing.  No doubt.  Just Dondante moves me everytime I listen to it.  Off the new album, Like A River has that same impact.  Perhaps its just me but I love that song.  Anyways, good debate/discussion to be had as both are epic in their on rights.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

GO4IT

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Aug 06, 2015, 08:53 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Aug 05, 2015, 11:28 PM

Festival pier?

Yup.  And I have it on my channel if you'd like to relive it.

werduga

Steam Engine, although I think PWW is on that plateau as well.

kholl44

Wow... after hearing Steam Engine again last night in Nashville it's gaining ground on Dondante in my book!

"The fact that my heart's beating
Is all the proof you need"

Got some major chills when this line was sung!
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

jo_mama

Phone Went West @ Red Rocks on August 4th, 2012 was the best song they have ever played live.

tippitoes22

DONDONTE vs. Steam Engine, for me, is like asking if you wanna drink water or breath?
Gotta do both to live. Please don't make me choose :) :thumbsup:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

WinstonLegthigh

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 03, 2015, 03:24 PM
That sounds like a conversation that we might have over a few bourbons...

Here's my two cents...

First, don't sleep on Don't Cry in that GNR epic song comparison!

I would submit Coma and The Garden as candidates as well, though I think Estranged is head and shoulders above them (and November Rain). As an aside, how perfect is So Fine leading into Estranged? The Illusions are littered with excellence. I can't remember the last time I had Appetite on, but the Illusions find their way into my rotation stupid often.

I have a much harder time choosing between Steam Engine and Dodante- they're as even as it gets. If live versions can be thrown in for consideration, I think Steam Engine would be my choice, based on what happened in Port Chester.

Lonndown27

Quote from: WinstonLegthigh on Aug 11, 2015, 09:50 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Aug 03, 2015, 03:24 PM
That sounds like a conversation that we might have over a few bourbons...

Here's my two cents...

First, don't sleep on Don't Cry in that GNR epic song comparison!

I would submit Coma and The Garden as candidates as well, though I think Estranged is head and shoulders above them (and November Rain). As an aside, how perfect is So Fine leading into Estranged? The Illusions are littered with excellence. I can't remember the last time I had Appetite on, but the Illusions find their way into my rotation stupid often.

I have a much harder time choosing between Steam Engine and Dodante- they're as even as it gets. If live versions can be thrown in for consideration, I think Steam Engine would be my choice, based on what happened in Port Chester.

damn! beat me to Coma!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

Quote from: jo_mama on Aug 07, 2015, 02:51 PM
Phone Went West @ Red Rocks on August 4th, 2012 was the best song they have ever played live.

EXACTLY!!!! one of the greatest things we'll ever see the band do!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018