MMJ bass drum artwork over the years

Started by Jackets N Pones, Aug 17, 2015, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackets N Pones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhV19PItKb8

I was watching this video of Lowdown from Bonnaroo 2003 and noticed Patrick's bass drum artwork was something I had never seen before. Looks a lot like some of the sketches Jim has done in the lyric booklets. Anyway, thought it might be fun to put together a timeline of the bass drum artwork, especially from the early years. Sorry I do not know how to post images and these dates are just based off of album release dates but just off the top of my head here is what I have:

1999 - 2001 (TTF) : Incomplete

2001 - 2003 (At Dawn) : Incomplete

2003 - 2005 (It Still Moves) : Bear and Skelly

2006 (Okonokos) : Monkey

2005 - 2008 (Z) : Panda Bears

2008 - 2011 (Evil Urges) : Owl

2011 - 2015 (Circuitale) : Old Radio Tuning Eye Thing

2015 - Present (The Waterfall) : The Waterfall

:drum: :drum: :drum:

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Emb1528

I would love to see what comes of this thread. The one from Bonnaroo looks almost like a Jay Ryan print with that little orange face thing.
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

ruralt

Glad this thread was made. If anyone has any up close shots of the panda drum head please share. I need them for... scientific research.

johnnYYac

Bonnaroo 2005, as displayed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

ruralt

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 18, 2015, 10:33 AM

You, sir, are my hero. I know the image is on the compact disc of Z but the color of the stripes are different and the pandas aren't right next to each other. I'd been trying to track down a good image of the head but couldn't. Thanks so much! :grin:

johnnYYac

Quote from: ruralt on Aug 18, 2015, 06:58 PM

You, sir, are my hero. I know the image is on the compact disc of Z but the color of the stripes are different and the pandas aren't right next to each other. I'd been trying to track down a good image of the head but couldn't. Thanks so much! :grin:
My pleasure.  Took those pictures myself.  It was real nice to find this display during my second visit to the RnRHoF.  Email me if you want a higher-res version of either image.  I can crop the kick drum head and send you the image as an email attachment.

ruralt

Quote from: johnnYYac on Aug 18, 2015, 07:00 PM
Quote from: ruralt on Aug 18, 2015, 06:58 PM

My pleasure.  Took those pictures myself.  It was real nice to find this display during my second visit to the RnRHoF.  Email me if you want a higher-res version of either image.  I can crop the kick drum head and send you the image as an email attachment.

These are actually perfect, thanks!! Do they rotate the displays or is that there for good? I'd like to see it myself!

timescaper

Don't think the circuital art appeared on the drum just the backdrop - the owl stayed from 2008-2015 it was even at both Mexico appearances

Jackets N Pones

Gotcha.

1999 - 2001 (TTF) : Incomplete

2001 - 2003 (At Dawn) : Incomplete

2003 - 2005 (It Still Moves) : Bear and Skelly

2006 (Okonokos) : Monkey

2005 - 2008 (Z) : Panda Bears

2008 - 2011 (Evil Urges) : Owl

2011 - 2015 (Circuitale) : Owl

2015 - Present (The Waterfall) : The Waterfall

Jackets N Pones

Yacc attack do you have a photo of the bass drum with It Still Moves bear head? That is my favorite one.

CC

maybe someone has a better pic but for now, bear and skelly @ lebowski fest 2004:

CC

ps. the drawing artwork john posted was from mid-2002 till mid-2003

everything before that was without artwork

dksaysgouk

Hey folks, don't know where to post this cool info as I am  new to this site, any way, the new SNHU television commercial drives by the Chicago theater and the marquee has MMJ on it.  Pretty cool.  I have a pic of it on phone, will try to get it here.

Lonndown27

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!! AND I LOVE THAT Z PANDA DRUM HEAD!!! MY GOD HOW FUCKING COOL!!!!!  that Bonnaroo 2003 drum head with that art, probably by Jim, is insanely cool looking
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: CC Baxter on Aug 21, 2015, 08:23 AM
maybe someone has a better pic but for now, bear and skelly @ lebowski fest 2004:

This one is the coolest IMO

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: CC Baxter on Aug 21, 2015, 08:50 AM
ps. the drawing artwork john posted was from mid-2002 till mid-2003

everything before that was without artwork

Ok what jerseys are they wearing here? This is the look I was hoping for the Final Four pre-game concert they did during the Circuitale tour.

AlwxanderD10

Quote from: CC Baxter on Aug 23, 2015, 04:36 PM
Trinity

Ok Im gonna need to see some more of these. Hahah those are great. Is this May of 2001?