Jim's change over the years

Started by jcc0065, Sep 17, 2015, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcc0065

im gonna go ahead and say what weve all been thinking, why has Jim, this mastermind of music, suddenly seemed bored on stage? Someone that used to rock the f**k out has turned stiff.

i mean i get that he has had back issues, but look like youre enjoying it!! i love this band as much as anyone else and it honestly hurts me that when they are gaining more and more fans he doesnt show as much love for his music and the fans at shows as he used to. AT LEAST SMILE!!

that being said, he still rocks out every SINGLE show and the music is flawless. I have also noticed Carl putting more and more energy into each show

Bulldog

Sorry but I dont see it that way....

I wont disagree that movement might be a little more restricted, but I cannot agree with the statements "suddenly seemed bored on stage" and "but look like youre enjoying it!".

This is a guy that can pretty much write his own ticket in playing with others, he's in MMJ cause he loves it, and I honestly think the day he dosent he'd walk.

I didn't see him not giving 100% and I was at OBH I and II Chi and MPLS. Is it the same as 5 years ago with flying around the stage? nope, is he giving everything hes got? in my opinion, no question.

jcc0065

Quote from: Bulldog on Sep 17, 2015, 10:08 PM
Sorry but I dont see it that way....

I wont disagree that movement might be a little more restricted, but I cannot agree with the statements "suddenly seemed bored on stage" and "but look like youre enjoying it!".

This is a guy that can pretty much write his own ticket in playing with others, he's in MMJ cause he loves it, and I honestly think the day he dosent he'd walk.

I didn't see him not giving 100% and I was at OBH I and II Chi and MPLS. Is it the same as 5 years ago with flying around the stage? nope, is he giving everything hes got? in my opinion, no question.

i hear ya! my post might have sounded harsh but just my opinion. doesnt mean i dont absolutely love everything about this band

jcc0065

id like to hear others thoughts on this!

Stevie

While i would agree that he has a diffrrent demeanor these days, i dont think it is due to him not being into it.  Like the previous poster said, i also fully believe that if he grows tired of the jacket he will walk away from it before he allows himself to go through the motions for too long. 

You could say that he looks a little disengaged emotionally at times, but you could also call that dialed in and focused on his musicianship.  When i first heard about his back issues i thought "this will restrict his movements but it wont restrict his energy (which seems to be massive).". And i felt that his energy would manifest itself in other ways, like singing or soloing.  For the most part, i feel that i did see this on this past tour especially on songs like Spring and Compound where he isnt really moving much yet there is an explosion happening where he is standing. 

I dont think it's anything to be worried about, just Jim getting older and all of the things that come with that (good and bad, mostly good).

LBSUNFLWR

so far this tour I have only been to Forecastle and listened to a recording of Red Rocks.
He seemed damn happy to be at both!!

kholl44

Just because he doesn't have a big grin on stage doesn't mean he's not loving it... He has much more subtlety to his emotions than most rock stars. Listen to him getting the whole crowd to meditate and chant Ommmmm with him at Red Rocks and tell me he's bored!
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

oistheone

Jim could be playing from a wheelchair for all I care, as long as his axework is as precise and thrilling as it has been this tour! What he lacks in frantic stage movement, he makes up for by playing the best guitar of his life, in my opinion.

BH

Jim has led me to believe from things he's said in the past that he wants to do what he does for a LONG time.   I think his back issues scared him and he's trying to "rest" as much a possible this tour.    I think it's probably killing him that he can't continue to "rock out".   He's even made changes to the way he sings and the setlist (No Twilight!) to help save his voice for the long haul.

jcc, I'm gong to guess you are young and don't have old folks issues like me and Jim.  ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

jcc0065

Quote from: BH on Sep 18, 2015, 02:43 PM
Jim has led me to believe from things he's said in the past that he wants to do what he does for a LONG time.   I think his back issues scared him and he's trying to "rest" as much a possible this tour.    I think it's probably killing him that he can't continue to "rock out".   He's even made changes to the way he sings and the setlist (No Twilight!) to help save his voice for the long haul.

jcc, I'm gong to guess you are young and don't have old folks issues like me and Jim.  ;)
youre correct [emoji16]

iLikeBeer

LOL BH! I was going to say, he is 37.  Your body just doesn't recover quite as quickly as it did when you were still a spritely 20 something.  Hell, I look back fondly on the days I could party like a rock star!  And now that I'm in my 40's when I try to do that, I'm paying for it for at least 2 days...  :cheesy:   :beer:

sillyboob

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 18, 2015, 05:23 PM

LOL BH! I was going to say, he is 37.  Your body just doesn't recover quite as quickly as it did when you were still a spritely 20 something.  Hell, I look back fondly on the days I could party like a rock star!  And now that I'm in my 40's when I try to do that, I'm paying for it for at least 2 days...  :cheesy:   :beer:

Yup - it's those damn two day hangovers / recovery period that really impacts how much you [arty like a rock star!!

The older I get, the better I was.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

jimsflyingv

Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 17, 2015, 10:44 PM
I had the same feeling at the show in Cologne, they played an awesome and great set but I also had the feeling that Jim was not as enthusiastic as he used to be. Also I found it odd that he did not address the audience even once. It was my third MMJ concert and it is something me and my friends at the concerts have noticed....

jcc0065

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Sep 19, 2015, 03:31 AM
I had the same feeling at the show in Cologne, they played an awesome and great set but I also had the feeling that Jim was not as enthusiastic as he used to be. Also I found it odd that he did not address the audience even once. It was my third MMJ concert and it is something me and my friends at the concerts have noticed....

yeah it just honestly seems like to me hes taken waaaaay too much acid. not just cause hes getting old. he was tripping way too hard during that red rocks performance, it was obvious, and at times uncomfortable (encore)

Mr. White

Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 19, 2015, 12:57 PM

yeah it just honestly seems like to me hes taken waaaaay too much acid. not just cause hes getting old. he was tripping way too hard during that red rocks performance, it was obvious, and at times uncomfortable (encore)

I do not agree with your last assumption at all!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jcc0065

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 19, 2015, 01:02 PM

haha to each his own opinion! my friends and i all thought he was tripping pretty hard. hes still playing killer guitar and everything but these are just my thoughts

Mr. White

Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 19, 2015, 01:05 PM

haha to each his own opinion! my friends and i all thought he was tripping pretty hard. hes still playing killer guitar and everything but these are just my thoughts

Not really...You're assumption is painting Jim as some sort of "Acid Head", which he is not. He has admitted that he has experimented with mind altering substances (including LSD and more perhaps) and has even stated that everybody should have at least one mind opening experience with these substances (Rolling Stone interview from a year or two ago), but saying he has "taken waaaaay too much acid" is inflammatory and assuming way too much...in my acid taking informed opinion. Maybe you have taken waaaaay too much acid and can't connect subliminally to what Jim is putting out with the overall vibe of his stage presence and his band's awesome show(s)...maybe...

jcc0065

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 19, 2015, 01:26 PM

Not really...You're assumption is painting Jim as some sort of "Acid Head", which he is not. He has admitted that he has experimented with mind altering substances (including LSD and more perhaps) and has even stated that everybody should have at least one mind opening experience with these substances (Rolling Stone interview from a year or two ago), but saying he has "taken waaaaay too much acid" is inflammatory and assuming way too much...in my acid taking informed opinion. Maybe you have taken waaaaay too much acid and can't connect subliminally to what Jim is putting out with the overall vibe of his stage presence and his band's awesome show(s)...maybe...

for an old man you sure have "waaaay" too much hostility. chill out. just a topic on a forum

Mr. White

Quote from: jcc0065 on Sep 19, 2015, 01:33 PM

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 19, 2015, 01:26 PM

for an old man you sure have "waaaay" too much hostility. chill out. just a topic on a forum

wow

Mr. White

Let me get this straight. You think I'm being "waaaaay" too hostile, need to "chill out", and need to go easy in my replies to your post(s) because I am calling you out on your attacks on Jim where you are implying that he is an "Acid Head" or "A Burn-Out" or exactly as you stated it, "Yeah it just honestly seems like to me he's taken waaaaay too much acid. Not just cause he's getting old. He was tripping way too hard during that red rocks performance, it was obvious, and at times uncomfortable". You're saying this because you feel this to be true and because your friends agree...am I right about that, this is correct, and you're sticking with your story, am I right? Just 4 days ago in another thread that had almost 40 minutes of actual audio of Jim being interviewed by Hiss Golden Messenger's lead singer about the song writing process, you stated the following, "Sounds like ole Jimmy has been indulged (ing) in a little bit too much DOSE this tour". Where do you get off jumping to THAT conclusion!? In the 39 minute interview, drugs were NEVER mentioned. The only thing I can find that you may have latched onto is the quote of Jim saying something to the effect of him feeling that at times he receives messages or inspiration (bits of songs or melodies) from "The Universe" or "God" or "Whatever you want to call it", and he tries to remember to record them into his phone, so he won't forget them. What was that assumption all about, if it wasn't you saying Jim is a "Burn-Out/Acid-Head"? Them there's fightin' words, in my book!

Lastly, what was that "dig/jab" at me personally all about when you said, "For an old man you sure have "waaaay" too much hostility. chill out. just a topic on a forum"?

I feel that was a bit...odd on your part. Maybe if you had seen a photo of me or knew what I looked like, you might have added, "For an old fat man...". For someone who has only been a member of this here almighty Forum for a mere 27 days, you seem to be the one who is a bit too "hostile" and might need to "chill out"...or at least show some respect to your elders...Jim included.