RIP Allen Toussaint

Started by walterfredo, Nov 10, 2015, 11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

oistheone

Goddamn. Heartbreaking news. I was hoping to see him Thanksgiving weekend in NYC after the Beacon shows.

Had the good fortune of witnessing his genius in person a few times and even got the chance to share some words with him a few years ago. One of the kindest souls on the planet. And enough talent for 100 men. What a legacy he leaves behind. Keep it funky!

Shug

Well said, oistheone. I agree completely and I feel so lucky we got to see him last year on tour with Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  What a great show that was, I've never heard a band rock so hard without a single guitar on stage!  Toussaint was a national treasure, this is a huge loss for American culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0bLg_DN0k
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Come Closer

Love his Rock of Ages arrangements

ericm

I wish I had seen him more. I was lucky enough to see him once at Carnegie Hall during the PHJB Anniversary show and he was fantastic. Never had another chance but so glad I saw him that time.

RIP Allen.
"Where's Jim going?"

Sassbox

My heart hurts. As incredible of a musician as he was, he was an even more stellar human being. I'm lucky to have seen him so many times, and I'm having a hard time imagining a New Orleans without him in it.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

oistheone

Everyone needs to hear this:

It's a pristine-sounding live recording from 1975, where Toussaint was touring with Little Feat in support of Southern Nights. This isn't the elder statesman we came to know and love later in his career -- this is Toussaint playing fast, frenetic funk!

Toussaint is on fire and supported by one of the best bands he ever played with. This is some of the tightest shit ever recorded. Enjoy!!