Main Menu

Basia Bulat

Started by dmooney99, Nov 18, 2015, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmooney99

anyone heard of her?  Was listening to WXPN this morning and they said Jim James produced her upcoming album.  Single I heard was pretty good, called "Infamous"

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: dmooney99 on Nov 18, 2015, 10:31 PM
anyone heard of her?  Was listening to WXPN this morning and they said Jim James produced her upcoming album.  Single I heard was pretty good, called "Infamous"

Yeah check out her NPR "tiny desk" performance she did awhile back. I like her I'm bummed she isn't touring this new Jim James produced record in Chicago.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

oistheone

Reeeeally diggin' this new album. It kinda reminds me of Florence + the Machine, but take out the bombast and replace it with a little more earnest heart. Check out the solo at the end of "In The Name Of" -- unmistakably Jim's shredding! The riffs in "Good Advice" are positively Floating Action-esque as well -- wonder if Seth was on this album or Jim was just influenced? Either way, it's subtly very groovy. Jim has really developed as a producer.

This album is definitely worth checking out!

Mr. White

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 14, 2016, 11:36 AM
Reeeeally diggin' this new album. It kinda reminds me of Florence + the Machine, but take out the bombast and replace it with a little more earnest heart. Check out the solo at the end of "In The Name Of" -- unmistakably Jim's shredding! The riffs in "Good Advice" are positively Floating Action-esque as well -- wonder if Seth was on this album or Jim was just influenced? Either way, it's subtly very groovy. Jim has really developed as a producer.

This album is definitely worth checking out!

"Sometimes making a break-up album is driving 600 miles to Kentucky to record the free-est songs you can get to tape. Sometimes it's standing in a studio with a new friend behind the boards, and you're shouting the words, "Come back / Or don't." Sometimes it's your fourth album, sometimes it's your best, sometimes the answer to your aching heart is a song in a major key.

Good Advice is the fizzing, phosphorescing new pop LP by songwriter Basia Bulat. Captured and produced by My Morning Jacket leader Jim James in Louisville, KY, it follows on 2013's Polaris- and Juno-nominated Tall Tall Shadow and two years of tour-dates alongside acts like Sufjan Stevens, Daniel Lanois and Destroyer. These are 10 songs of desire and redemption, lit up with a bottle-rocket of liberated, faintly psychedelic sound. "Basia has something truly unique," James says, "and her music was a truly extraordinary thing to witness."

In July 2014, Bulat got into her mom's car and drove the nine hours to Kentucky. Good Advice was created over the course of this and two subsequent visits, transforming slow acoustic demos into swift, bright pop-songs. "I knew immediately that it was the exact right place to be," she recalls. With a fading relationship at her back, this was an opportunity to sing away the sorrow and regret. And for James it was a chance to "watch and hear [Basia's] voice just exploding out of her soul, bringing us all to tears in the control room."

Despite a shared love for classic gospel, soul and country, Bulat and James resolved not to make a throwback record. Good Advice mixes classic, sterling songwriting with radiant, contemporary sounds – trembling organ, loose drums, lightning-rod electric guitar. Bulat was never able to shake her vision of the night sky on 4th of July, pitch-black above a basketball court.  All that "space and emptiness," all that bleakness, split apart by the "beauty and lawlessness" of amateur fireworks.

Good Advice takes that night and pours it across 41 minutes. Heartbreak calls for fireworks, and pop songs are the nearest thing. "Pop songs can take all those big statements and those big feelings that you have," she says. "You don't need to necessarily have everything so detailed because everybody understands. Everybody understands those feelings."

Basia Bulat's Good Advice is honest and throwing sparks. It's out February 12, 2016 on Secret City Records."

Written by Sean Michaels
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Going to see her tonight at Zanzabar in Louisville. Daniel Martin Moore is opening (really going to see Daniel but am looking forward to Basia's set and have a copy of her album already).

MusiKel Mama

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 25, 2016, 06:51 PM
Going to see her tonight at Zanzabar in Louisville. Daniel Martin Moore is opening (really going to see Daniel but am looking forward to Basia's set and have a copy of her album already).

I just saw her at Lincoln Hall. My God. She is this absolutely loveable little pixie that you just want to hug, and then a of a sudden she hits a note that just shakes you to your foundations and you start crying then and there, that one could possess such raw talent, and put so much of their soul into the development of that talent. Witnessing a superstar on the rise. She is just epic. I hope you have a wonderful time, sir.

Mr. White

Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 25, 2016, 07:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 25, 2016, 06:51 PM

I just saw her at Lincoln Hall. My God. She is this absolutely loveable little pixie that you just want to hug, and then a of a sudden she hits a note that just shakes you to your foundations and you start crying then and there, that one could possess such raw talent, and put so much of their soul into the development of that talent. Witnessing a superstar on the rise. She is just epic. I hope you have a wonderful time, sir.

Thanks Mama Ma'am! I'll try to get a song or two recorded and posted.

Did you ever check out the videos I took from that WFPK 20th Show where we almost met up? They're on my YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/darkstarflashes/videos

MusiKel Mama

Thank you so much! I have to work overnight so a little YouTube Festival is much appreciated!!! Man, how about Alex Smith?! I have loved all his projects (including Probably Not) but to see him perform was another level...you probably had the perfect view. He has truly mastered his craft.  DMM is still on my Louvilly bucket list...he ALWAYS manages to elude me. There was a show in STL with him, Howell Dawdy, and Daniel Joseph Dorff. I missed it and part of my soul fell out, and has yet to be recovered. (:  I hope you are surrounded by magic and surprises all night!!!!!

MusiKel Mama

P.S. "You Can't Be Neutral On A Moving Train" is my new favorite by Zinn. Everything he touches is genuine.

Mr. White

Here are several songs I recorded from the side of the small stage at Zanzabar in Louisville, Kentucky on Friday, March 25, 2016.

"Good Advice" (from the Jim James produced album by the same name)

Mr. White

Mr. White

"La La Lie" (also from the Jim James produced album, Good Advice)

Mr. White

Mr. White