Ray LaMontagne's new album produced by Jim

Started by ewiser, Jan 21, 2016, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

AWESOME news.
I love Ray. didn't like his last album.

Santo

I'm really digging the new single. I'm guessing the guitar is Jim's influence. For some reason, it kind of reminds me of Zeppelin's No Quarter.

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

ewiser

New album out now listened to get on Apple Music yesterday. Has a real Pink Floyd mood to me.  Enjoyed it expect old Ray fans to not like it. 

Derek713

Just a heads up.......there is a Groupon for the Woodlands 9/23 show for $35 with fees. Two tickets secured!

johnnYYac

Quote from: ewiser on Mar 05, 2016, 10:11 AM
New album out now listened to get on Apple Music yesterday. Has a real Pink Floyd mood to me.  Enjoyed it expect old Ray fans to not like it
I really dig it, and this is the first Ray LaMontagne album I've ever listened to, so...

I have a ticket for Chicago available below face if interested, aisle seat.

http://mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,20129.0.html
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MyMorningSweatshirt

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 05, 2016, 04:09 PMI really dig it, and this is the first Ray LaMontagne album I've ever listened to, so...

It's been quite a change in style over the past two albums for sure. My personal favorite is still God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise, but I like Ourorboros as well. I'm most excited to see the MMJ guys play some of Ray's older stuff, since I think you could compare old-school MMJ to old-school Ray LaMontagne in a way. A little quieter and slower, more country/folk influences, etc.

Max5130

I prefer side two. But I think the album is great overall! I can't wait for the show at the Peabody in St. Louis!

LBSUNFLWR

Trouble and God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise are my two favorites. The 2 albums in between both have a few great songs on them but don't compare. And I just could not get into his last album as much as I wanted to. I am excited to play this new one for the first time.

Nikkogino

buymycar

Quote from: Nikkogino on Mar 07, 2016, 10:49 PM
Does MMJ play on the album?

No, it's Jim's band he put together for his solo tour. Which has led to speculation that Jim might be doing another solo tour this year.

ffghtrs

I've only heard two songs and i'm really digging them!!!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

walterfredo

Quote from: Nikkogino on Mar 07, 2016, 10:49 PM
Does MMJ play on the album?

seems to be a bit of misinformation floating around about this...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6898140/ray-lamontagne-my-morning-jacket-ouroboros-new-york-mckittrick-hotel-review

For his new album, Ouroboros, the singer has teamed up with My Morning Jacket -- minus frontman Jim James, who occupied the producer's chair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros_%28Ray_LaMontagne_album%29 
(obviously wiki isn't a solid source)

Ouroboros is a 2016 studio album by Ray LaMontagne featuring My Morning Jacket, produced by Jim James.

but seems pretty clear on Ray's site...

http://ouroboros.raylamontagne.com/m.html

Recorded Feb 10 - Feb 24, 2015
Produced by Jim James and Ray LaMontagne
Written and Arranged by Ray LaMontagne
Recorded at La La Land Studio, Louisville, KY
Engineered and Mixed by Kevin Ratterman
Ray Lamontagne Lead Electric Guitar, Rhythm Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, Lyrics and Song Composition
Jim James Saxophone, Air Raid Siren, Additional Rhythm Electric Guitar, Harmony Vocals
Seth Kaufman Bass Guitar, Slide Guitar, Textures
Dan Dorff Keyboards, Vibes
Dave Givan Drums, Percussion
Kevin Ratterman Moog Bass, Moog FX
Alexis Marsh Additional Harmony Vocals

buymycar

Misinformation on the Internet? Strange...

walterfredo

BH

You could go back in time and put Side 2 out as an Pink Floyd EP released between Meddle and Obscured By Clouds and I think the only question would be "Why is Gilmour's voice so scratchy?"    I listened to this album three times yesterday.  I don't think I've done that with anything in a LONG time.    Having Jim, Ratterman and Seth involved with helping Ray make this masterpiece is pretty dang cool.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

And I'll climb
The hill in my own way
just wait a while, for the right day

I'll spend
the day in my own way
count the hours, mark the days

And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fearlines in his frown
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd

Please understand, I'm only human.
After all is said and done
We're only here a moment.
Then the moment's gone
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

crooney

Pretty glowing review from Bob Lefsetz.  I don't necessarily agree with most of his opinions, but he sure digs this album.  Nice press for Ray and a small mention for Jim.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/