Top bands right now

Started by imbrendansilva, Jan 26, 2016, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imbrendansilva

Hey friends, just wanted to know what everyone's favorite bands are these days and what you're all listening to
God damn those shaky knees

ffghtrs

i've been deep tracking lately

Freddie King, Going Down
Albert king, live and best of
Beck - the information, simply a great album
MMJ all of them
Wilco all of them

Ben Gibbered and Jay Farrar

and a few others
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

kholl44

MMJ
Vulfpeck
Tame Impala
Sylvan Esso
Father John Misty
Band of Horses
Alabama Shakes
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

beardedwonder

Basically, MMJ and Wilco on shuffle 24/7. Smattered with some Kurt Vile, Jose Gonzalez, Tedeschi Trucks and a handful of surf rock bands like Mystic Braves, The Growlers and my favorite Allah-Las.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

MOWJO8185

My top 4 is concrete as MMJ, Wilco, Pearl Jam, and the National. Also been listening to a lot lately:

Tame Impala
Blitzen Trapper
Frightened Rabbit
Okkervil River
Kurt Vile
Wild Nothing
White Denim

MikeR1390

I'm very much the kind of listener who will spin a record or 2 nonstop for a month until I wear it out. Those for me right now are:

Tame Impala
WOD
Twin Limb

slappymoe

jcc0065

i know im late to this party, but what a beautiful band Strand Of Oaks is!!

kvgq420

Diiv
Wild Nothing
Can
The Smiths
Jeff Buckley
Spoon

Cameron

MMJ, PJ and Drive-By Truckers are constants with me.  Been listening to a lot of Susto, Dave Rawlings and Ween (getting ready for the reunion) lately.

iLikeBeer

MMJ is tops for me.

Also on my heavy rotation list:

Wilco
The National
Father John Misty
War On Drugs
J Roddy Walston
Phospherescent
Alabama Shakes
Houndmouth
Drive By Truckers
Heartless Bastards
Blitzen Trapper
Dr. Dog
Built To Spill

Just to name a few...   :cool:

Of course this doesn't include my all time faves like the Grateful Dead, Pixies, The Replacements, R.E.M. (pre Green), Stone Roses, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc...  :beer:

rincon2

Quote from: Cameron on Jan 29, 2016, 11:31 AM
MMJ, PJ and Drive-By Truckers are constants with me.  Been listening to a lot of Susto, Dave Rawlings and Ween (getting ready for the reunion) lately.
MMJ, DBT, and PJ have a lot in common. Long shows that vary from night to night, very fan oriented, real deep catalogs. What separates MMJ/DBT from PJ is you can see them from the front of the pit for $50 with little more effort than good planning.

sillyboob

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 29, 2016, 04:17 PM
MMJ is tops for me.

Also on my heavy rotation list:

Wilco
The National
Father John Misty
War On Drugs
J Roddy Walston
Phospherescent
Alabama Shakes
Houndmouth
Drive By Truckers
Heartless Bastards
Blitzen Trapper
Dr. Dog
Built To Spill

Just to name a few...   :cool:

Of course this doesn't include my all time faves like the Grateful Dead, Pixies, The Replacements, R.E.M. (pre Green), Stone Roses, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc...  :beer:

A lot of great bands / personal favorites on this list.  And nice to see the Stone Roses get some love.  Their debut is epic!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

.Walt

The Everywheres
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Mystic Braves
The Donkeys
The Jacket
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Quote from: ffghtrs on Jan 27, 2016, 04:24 AM
Albert king, live and best of

Probably my favorite Bluesman. Such a smooth voice, plus the obvious talent on guitar even with those big old fingers. Can't go wrong.

beardedwonder

Quote from: Walts on Feb 03, 2016, 06:16 PM
The Everywheres
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Mystic Braves
The Donkeys
The Jacket

Good stuff right there.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

.Walt

Quote from: beardedwonder on Feb 03, 2016, 07:04 PM
Quote from: Walts on Feb 03, 2016, 06:16 PM
The Everywheres
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Mystic Braves
The Donkeys
The Jacket

Good stuff right there.

I'm at work right now, but accept my apology for not thoroughly reading everyone's list and forgetting to list the Allah-Las. You have a great list, probably because you're bearded I'm sure. I agree with you outta the bunch Allah Las are my favorite too. I remember reading an interview with Neil Young about how he was waiting for modern bands to write war protest songs. Bushman's Hoilday isn't a protest song, but it's such a great song for vets or anyone really. Just one of the many good songs by them.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: sillyboob on Feb 01, 2016, 11:12 AM

A lot of great bands / personal favorites on this list. And nice to see the Stone Roses get some love.  Their debut is epic!

That it was.  Too bad they couldn't get out of the way of their egos long enough to put out more great music...  :undecided:

sillyboob

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Feb 04, 2016, 07:51 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Feb 01, 2016, 11:12 AM

A lot of great bands / personal favorites on this list. And nice to see the Stone Roses get some love.  Their debut is epic!

Isn't that the truth!  Second Coming was a huge letdown.  A couple okay tracks, but nothing close to the genius of their debut.

That it was.  Too bad they couldn't get out of the way of their egos long enough to put out more great music...  :undecided:

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

kholl44

Quote from: kholl44 on Jan 27, 2016, 10:43 AM
MMJ
Vulfpeck
Tame Impala
Sylvan Esso
Father John Misty
Band of Horses
Alabama Shakes
gonna go ahead and add Ray LaMontagne to this list too :)
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand