OBH III - Zika virus - something to keep in mind, stay informed

Started by michaela, Feb 24, 2016, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaela

If OBH III takes place, given the age demographic of the MMJ audience, something to pay attention to.  Zika news/updates can be located here:
http://www.cdc.gov/zika/
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-information

There are risks & benefits to travel anywhere.  Stay safe.

sillyboob

Good idea to post this.  Never know how things might get there.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

michaela

Thanks for saying so.  I know it's being covered on tv, print and online news media, so hopefully it's not information overload/repeat for readers.

I certainly don't want to ever have a situation where someone goes to a concert and has a health problem (either themselves or family member at home).

BH

Also be sure and be on the lookout for malaria, dengue, filariasis, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis and La Crosse encephalitis.   Those combined infect 500 million people per year and kill 100 million people per year.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

millerjustin

Quote from: BH on Feb 26, 2016, 10:24 AM
Also be sure and be on the lookout for malaria, dengue, filariasis, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis and La Crosse encephalitis.   Those combined infect 500 million people per year and kill 100 million people per year.

FTW!  hilarious to perseverate over this 4 months before an actual announcement that is still speculative for an event 11 months away.....and might take place in an entirely different country
What's in here won't disappear

rincon2

Quote from: BH on Feb 26, 2016, 10:24 AM
That is not as scary as the amount of people who die each year from living a long time. That shit just keeps gaining momentum, and is not geographically based.

michaela

These are all good comments.  And I really mean it (and I'm not sarcastic).  Anything that makes people think and read.

APR

Reading is key to learning..... I learned a new word and its definition due to looking it up.  Thanks millerjustin.  Please perseverate us regarding other interesting and important topics.

millerjustin

Quote from: APR on Feb 29, 2016, 11:24 AM
Reading is key to learning..... I learned a new word and its definition due to looking it up.  Thanks millerjustin.  Please perseverate us regarding other interesting and important topics.

Apparently, I'm perseverating over this thread since I've not only read newer posts, I also and for some reason continue to post here.  I am Justin's perseveration.

In other news, will we get a full CDC briefing if OBH3 will be held in the DR?

APR

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 29, 2016, 12:47 PM
Quote from: APR on Feb 29, 2016, 11:24 AM

Apparently, I'm perseverating over this thread since I've not only read newer posts, I also and for some reason continue to post here.  I am Justin's perseveration.

In other news, will we get a full CDC briefing if OBH3 will be held in the DR?

Conjunctivitis is contagious in any country or island.

(I kid because michaela doesn't seem to mind the sarcastic comments as stated above.  If that has changed, let us know.  I like the music threads and the funny/educational/health/vocabulary expanding ones too)

michaela

It is acceptable to be serious and have a sense of humor.  Here's a bio of a key person at CDC, Alexander Langmuir:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4550144/

"....He regarded the EIS officers as members of his extended family, backing them firmly when they found themselves in difficulty and joining them for the roasts of CDC leaders during the officers' annual skit night—often at his own expense."

For further reading:
http://www.cdc.gov/museum/eis/EIScopy1960.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/museum/eis/eisFinalproj.swf

michaela

P.S.  I went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the birthplace of the Onion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

You guys actually have some good ideas for an Onion headline story....

Fully

Word on the street is that OBH IIIIIIIIIII will be held in Kansas due to global climate change and rising sea levels.

rdylanoconnor

OBH 3 - riviera maya, Super Bowl weekend 2017, announcement coming soon.

sillyboob

Quote from: rdylanoconnor on Mar 15, 2016, 11:00 PM

But I can't wait
Oh I can't wait
I can't wait anymore...
I can't wait no
I can't wait
I can't wait anymore...
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

Quote from: rdylanoconnor on Mar 15, 2016, 11:00 PM

That sounds better than OBH XXXVI, which could be high up on a mountain in Utah after Fully's Kansas sea level venue gets flooded.

slappymoe

just checked the hard rock website, Feb 4th thru 7th is "closed for bookings."   :thumbsup:

staurie28

Quote from: slappymoe on Mar 16, 2016, 11:07 AM
just checked the hard rock website, Feb 4th thru 7th is "closed for bookings."   :thumbsup:

my heart...it can't handle this....the excitement...the anticipation....please announce something soon!!!

millerjustin

Quote from: slappymoe on Mar 16, 2016, 11:07 AM

saw that too - presumably C9 has several holds - ZBB and maybe WSMFP - my guess is OBH3 will be superbowl weekend, but who know