Essential vinyl?

Started by beardedwonder, Mar 19, 2016, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedwonder

So I'm trying to build my vinyl catalog. I'm learning that some albums just sound better on vinyl. Obviously there are plenty of essential album lists online. Many repeats of course. But what rock/folk/indie albums do y'all treasure that might not be considered essential only to those with great taste (MMJ fans). 

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Gina

Hmmm....

Well my essential vinyl would include The Who's Quadrophenia.  I love everything about the original mix.  With the remasters, some of the ambient sounds were mixed out, which really bugs me. I loved the gatefold as well as the booklet which was full of story telling photography along with the lyrics.  Truly a desert island recording for me.

beardedwonder

Quote from: Gina on Mar 20, 2016, 12:07 AM
Hmmm....

Well my essential vinyl would include The Who's Quadrophenia.  I love everything about the original mix.  With the remasters, some of the ambient sounds were mixed out, which really bugs me. I loved the gatefold as well as the booklet which was full of story telling photography along with the lyrics.  Truly a desert island recording for me.

Nice. I have not been a big Who fan. Even when I was huge classic rock listener in my teens. In fact I've never listened to Quadrophenia in totality I don't think. Ive enjoyed the movie a bunch and I've listened to Who's Next a 1000 times. Thanks for this. Im gonna give it a go. Hopefully I can find a decent used copy.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

amskinz

If you don't have it yet, your collection would definitely be legit with a copy of Okonokos. Easily my favorite live vinyl. It was mixed and mastered masterfully! Tricky part is Badman only made about 3,000, so good luck when it comes time to open the wallet. But trust me, it's worth it.
A good non-MMJ suggestion would be Damn The Torpedos by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Classic album, good mix of hits and deep cuts. It really shines on vinyl. Can't deny recording at Sound City with Jimmy Iovine, right?!
Happy hunting!
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

parkervb

pink label Live At The Fillmore, Allmans

and I am partial to sixties soul music so I would suggest Aretha Live at Fillmore West & Live in Paris at the Olympia. Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music and his Live at Newport set.

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic is one I would keep an eye out for.
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

oh and get Pet Sounds. Definitely get Pet Sounds

beardedwonder

Quote from: amskinz on Mar 20, 2016, 01:02 PM
If you don't have it yet, your collection would definitely be legit with a copy of Okonokos. Easily my favorite live vinyl. It was mixed and mastered masterfully! Tricky part is Badman only made about 3,000, so good luck when it comes time to open the wallet. But trust me, it's worth it.
A good non-MMJ suggestion would be Damn The Torpedos by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Classic album, good mix of hits and deep cuts. It really shines on vinyl. Can't deny recording at Sound City with Jimmy Iovine, right?!
Happy hunting!

Yes, Okonokos is a must. But those prices. Ouch. Good ole TP. Guy is a classic! Thanks.

beardedwonder

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 21, 2016, 09:20 AM
pink label Live At The Fillmore, Allmans

and I am partial to sixties soul music so I would suggest Aretha Live at Fillmore West & Live in Paris at the Olympia. Ray Charles Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music and his Live at Newport set.

Oh yes. This is the stuff I need to know about.  Thank u.

Angelo

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 21, 2016, 09:20 AM

All top-notch suggestions. I would also highly recommend Issac Hayes' (with the Bar-Kays) Hot Buttered Soul. That one'll bust you up.

oistheone

Pretty much any record produced by Jerry Wexler will stun on vinyl. Major props for those Aretha suggestions! I'd go further and suggest Aretha Now and Lady Soul -- two of the finest records of all time and they slay on wax.

I'd also highly recommend tracking down a Speaker's Corner pressing of Transformer by Lou Reed. It's like listening to a whole new album. I use it to demo my system and blow people away. The bass on "Andy's Chest" is so deep, it'll sink your place a couple dozen feet below sea level. Bowie's harmonies on "Satellite of Love" are magic.

I'll take a look through my collection tonight and think of some more!

rincon2

R.E.M. Murmur  My 34 year old copy still sounds incredible, actually better than ever due to my rebuilt turntable. I played it for my son, who never heard it before and totally understood why I consider it the best album of the 80's.

Crispy

I took my dad's old copy of Cat Stevens' Teaser and the Firecat out for a spin the other day, and man, that was a treat.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 21, 2016, 07:49 PM
Pretty much any record produced by Jerry Wexler will stun on vinyl. Major props for those Aretha suggestions! I'd go further and suggest Aretha Now and Lady Soul -- two of the finest records of all time and they slay on wax.

I'd also highly recommend tracking down a Speaker's Corner pressing of Transformer by Lou Reed. It's like listening to a whole new album. I use it to demo my system and blow people away. The bass on "Andy's Chest" is so deep, it'll sink your place a couple dozen feet below sea level. Bowie's harmonies on "Satellite of Love" are magic.

I'll take a look through my collection tonight and think of some more!

will definitely check out those Aretha picks for sure! I like where this post is going...

Mr. White

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Zuma
Not only one of Neil's finest albums, but his best recorded as well. The guitar separation is clear, crunchy and all-around marvelous. This one's got everything from quick riff rave-ups ("Drive Back") to mammoth jams ("Cortez" and "Dangerbird") and it closes with some of the most beautiful harmonies CSNY ever put to tape. You can FEEL the congas. I've yet to hear a bad pressing of this record, but track down one of those German reissues from a few years ago and you'll be in heaven.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
Classic Records (who can pretty much do no wrong by the way) repressed this about ten years ago and the results are stunning. Mastered straight from the original tapes, this is as good as Jimi gets. His guitar is huge but Buddy Miles' drumming and Billy Cox DANGEROUSLY funky bass are so well-defined that when you crank this, it feels like you're at the Fillmore. One of my favorite albums on time, and this is MEANT to be heard on vinyl.

Tom Waits - Closing Time
When I think of "essential vinyl", I think of late nights after a bunch of drinks, and tossing on a record that puts the "oooooo" in smooooth. This record does just that. Tom Waits recorded most of these takes live off the floor and you can hear it -- every nuance of his voice (which hasn't been freakified, yet), every slide down the bass string, it's all right in front of you. Also, the guitar tone on  "Ice Cream Man" might be some of my favorite ever pressed to wax.

Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare
This slow-burning psychedelia isn't for everyone, but all analog recordings equal sonic heaven. If you like the sound of crystal clear guitars and sparkling Laurel Canyon harmonies, track down this double album. Half of the Heartbreakers play on this, as well as Jackson Browne, Crosby, Nash and a host of others. Bring on the jam.

The Meters - Rejuvenation
The Meters earlier stuff is some of the finest funk ever put to tape, but later in their career, when they had an actual budget, they put together some amazingly well-recorded funk. This album sounds HUGE and has everything from hits ("Hey Pocky Way", "Just Kissed My Baby"), to EPIC jams like "Ain't No Use". This record is a one-stop party starter.

Television - Live at the Old Waldorf
This live show was originally recorded by a radio station back in the 70s. The tapes were remastered and pressed on wax a few years ago for Record Store Day, and the results are astounding. Television has never sounded that great on vinyl (a little too tinny and high-end for my liking) UNTIL NOW. The sound quality of this album makes this their defining statement. Insanely crunchy bass, dueling guitars throughout and a fantastic setlist.

Pops Staples - Don't Lose This
One of the few "new" albums that sound just as good as the all-analog classics. Jeff Tweedy did an amazing job producing this. Pops' voice is in beautiful form and his tremolo-soaked guitar seeps through the speakers like a ghost in the room. Mavis Staples also sings the shit out of her appearances on this too. Fabuolous sound.

Monsters of Folk
Tried to leave out any MMJ connections, but seriously, this is a must-own. One of the best-sounding records I've ever heard. Put on "Slow Down Jo" and drift into sonic euphoria. Pure magic.

Come Closer

I'm a big fan of the MFSL Blood on the Tracks.

rincon2

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 22, 2016, 01:15 PM
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!

Bought that on vinyl about 35 years ago on a whim. Was not impressed at the time, but I was a kid and had typical Santana expectations. Have to give it another try. Probably more ready for it now.

Hawkeye

Great suggestions.  I've been looking to compile a list of "essentials" for awhile.  I'm looking to pare my collection down to "essentials" and my absolute favorite albums.

I was going to throw in any MFSL album is worth watching out for and worth buying, especially if found cheap (used).  New, they can be pricey, usually $30-40 or more.  The only one I have is Beck's "Sea Change" which can go for $250 or more...I was lucky to find a copy for $60 new so jumped on it!  It's a 2LP pressing and it's HEAVY vinyl.  Definitely one of my best sounding records.

Other "essentials" in my collection:

2nd the Tom Waits - Closing Time.  I'd add "Heart of Saturday Night."  More of that late-night vibe.

The Billy Bragg/Wilco "Mermaid Avenue" sessions is a favorite in my collection.  I've got all three volumes.  Cost me a little bit of coin to get them all, but worth it!

M Ward - meant to be heard on vinyl!

Floating Action - same!

Dylan & the BAnd - The Basement Tapes

Derek & The Dominos!

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Beatles - Abbey Road (obviously)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (obviously)

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros - if you're into country at all

Anything by John Prine!

Anything by Neil Young!

Yim Yames - Tribute To George Harrison

Jim James - Regions

War on Drugs

Phosphorescent

That's off the top of my head.  There are many more that I'd consider "essentials" or that I'd love to have, anyway...also many in my collection that I NEVER listen to but have a  hard time letting go of...
We could.

Crispy

Great list, oistheone. Fanfare is one of my favorite records for sure, and Gentle Spirit is another good one to track down. Now I need that "new" Pops Staples number, and to finally get that Band of Gypsies record!

For those that fancy them, Band of Skulls' Baby Darling Doll Face Honey is a fantastic-sounding piece of wax.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

beardedwonder

Just want to take a second and thank everyone for their thoughtful input to this thread. Great stuff!!! Let's keep it going!