Songs/Bands You Don't Get

Started by KarateDreamzShoNuff, Aug 13, 2016, 12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NolesT8

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Aug 16, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote from: Shug on Aug 15, 2016, 01:17 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Aug 15, 2016, 10:31 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Aug 15, 2016, 08:44 AM

I never understood how people could knock The Black Crowes when they've been my favorite band since the 90's.

that's a thing?

I don't understand how people can not like The Black Crowes but think Chris Robison Brotherhood is fantastic.  CRB, to me, is embarrassingly bad, especially compared to how good the Black Crowes were for much of their years.  Also cannot understand why so many Crowes fans don't seem to appreciate what a genius Rich Robinson is as a guitar player and song writer and continues to be in his solo tours.

Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is, IMO, the best rock album of the 90s.

Agree with you about Southern Harmony and I think Amorica is not far behind. 2 all-time favorite albums. My favorite band to see live and I have seen them live more than any other band.

To me no one will ever be the Black Crowes...but I love the CRB. Completely different sound though. I just think Chris is such an awesome front man, and being a huge Ryan Adams fan I was already a Neal Casal fan. Seeing Neal with Chris is like a dream for me. And Adam MacDougall was fun in the BC but kills it in the CRB!! They put on a fantastic 3 hour live show!

That being said, I also am a huge fan of Rich Robinson. He's my favorite guitar player and I go see him any chance I get as well.

Agreed CRB is completely different music than the Crowes. I like the Crowes, but I love CRB. I guess I'm more into jam band type stuff. One of my favorite current bands. The new album is killer. Neal has really turned into a great lead guitarist.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 16, 2016, 05:51 PM
for the phish-haters in the bunch, have any of you seen them live?  If not, you should reserve final judgement until you give a live experience a visit.

No hate!!!
I'm saying they are talented...
Just can't get into it.

(And yes... I've seen them in a few forms)

walterfredo

I can respek that!

...but I do need some clarity. Phish has only ever had one form. Are you saying you've seen members play in iterations outside the band, or side projects? Cuz as enjoyable as I find some of those, nothing compares to the band itself. Regardless though, I can respek a diversity in music preferences.

parkervb

Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 16, 2016, 05:51 PM
for the phish-haters in the bunch, have any of you seen them live?  If not, you should reserve final judgement until you give a live experience a visit.

you took quite a leap from our comments to "haters" but that's ok. Saw them several times in 96-97 (Hampton, VB, MSG NYE) and saw them again last year in Portsmouth. Standby my statement...just doesn't move me but I recognize they are among the most talented bands in the world.

I did really enjoy them getting a bit dirty on this Simple from last year

Don't you ever turn it off

Come Closer

Cosign Phish and The National. Arcade Fire. Foo Fighters.

Murph

The Decemberists bore me to pieces

walterfredo

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 17, 2016, 08:32 AM

you took quite a leap from our comments to "haters" but that's ok. Saw them several times in 96-97 (Hampton, VB, MSG NYE) and saw them again last year in Portsmouth. Standby my statement...just doesn't move me but I recognize they are among the most talented bands in the world.

I did really enjoy them getting a bit dirty on this Simple from last year

yeah, bad word choice, my bad.

I was at that show in Bend last summer, great version of Simple.

hoojack

Nirvana is the band that not only do I not "get" but actually hate. If one more person tells me to check out their unplugged album I may lose it. Despite this every few years I try to figure out what I'm missing and still can't get into them.

Piggy backing on the phish discussion I think some of it has to do with the fact that majority of the lyrics are just plain nonsensical. I would say most people here value the songwriting aspect of bands. Also I think their song structures and timings are more similar to those found in jazz instead of the blues which is more relatable and "rock and roll" if you will.

On the flip side I never liked the arcade fire until reflecktor oddly enough. Somehow that album clicked and made the rest of their albums more accessible.

Varitek

Steely Dan
Utmost respect for the songwriting and musicianship but Donald Fagens voice
gives me the creeps and I feel like they bring a weird vibe into any room where
there music is being heard....
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Varitek

... And Jimmy Buffet. I can't stand Jimmy Buffet. I have friends that love him and will
occasionally hit me with "You have to hear his version of Wooden Ships or Scarlet Begonias"
to which I reply now I just want to hit you. I used to drink, a lot, and the sound of his music
when I was drinking would send me into a horrible spiral questioning my views on the positive
qualities found in music in general. I haven't had a drink in years and I like his music even less now.
So, I don't get Jimmy Buffet
"Did he just put on a cape?"

slappymoe

for whatever reason, these bands never moved the needle for me

grateful dead
rush
u2
van halen
r.e.m.
metallica
guns n roses (HATE axl rose. what a dik)
chili peppers
phish
foo fighters (get back behind the drums, dave)
dave matthews
green day

wow, i could go on forever. one more.....coldplay

wheelhousetunes

99% of today's "popular" music.

johnnYYac

I'm a Deadhead, but can't do Phish.

Also, what wheelhousetunes just said...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

KarateDreamzShoNuff

A few more...

Mark Kozelek and Sun Kil Moon--talk about a guy that bores me. Is the admiration just solely based on his lyrics? cause I don't see anything else he brings to the table. And I don't even like his lyrics

Guns N Roses--like Slappymoe said, I really hate their music. Maybe it's an age thing but I can't even begin to take them seriously (ditto for U2).

The Who--This one I don't feel nearly as strongly about, because they do have a few songs that I know that I really, really like and I think are amazing rock and roll in its purest. But. When people compare them to the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, I just can't see it. I've tried listening to all the big albums and Who's Next is really the only one that I don't think is not good overall. Given the reputation I know I'm wrong, but it just doesn't click with me
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

dogwoody

Quote from: Varitek on Aug 17, 2016, 02:39 PM
Steely Dan
Utmost respect for the songwriting and musicianship but Donald Fagens voice
gives me the creeps and I feel like they bring a weird vibe into any room where
there music is being heard....

I used to hate Steely Dan and thought they were so lame when I was younger but I've grown to love them.

I can understand why people don't like them, but to me they are pretty dang awesome, especially when you listen to them with a good pair of headphones. They're one of those high quality listening bands like Dire Straits that just feels good in your ears when you're listening with good equipment.

dogwoody

I've just never been able to get into Bob Dylan. I like Lay Lady Lay, Man in Me, and Hurricane, but other than those three songs I just don't really see it. He has a huge amount of songs that makes it kind of overwhelming when trying to figure where to start with him.

Nikkogino

Frank Ocean and BeyoncĂ©.   Hype hype hype hype hype hype.

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Quote from: Nikkogino on Aug 22, 2016, 03:23 PM
Frank Ocean and BeyoncĂ©.   Hype hype hype hype hype hype.

Would you say you're generally a fan of R&B music, but just not these two? I like Beyonce well enough, though I just don't think it's all quite for me, but I kinda think Ocean is a genius. Just curious
Registration makes you spell 'acoustic' backwards?? That's bonkers. I'm naming my kid Citsouca-KDSN

Nikkogino

I am a casual r&b fan...but I'm definitely not a hater of the music.  I love Toni Braxton and D'angelo for example.  I also love B2M.  I think Frank Ocean is good, but highly overrated.  He is one of those artists that can shit in a can ("Nikes") and people will praise it.

KarateDreamzShoNuff

Quote from: Nikkogino on Aug 22, 2016, 09:26 PM
I am a casual r&b fan...but I'm definitely not a hater of the music.  I love Toni Braxton and D'angelo for example.  I also love B2M.  I think Frank Ocean is good, but highly overrated.  He is one of those artists that can shit in a can ("Nikes") and people will praise it.

Cool, yeah "Nikes" was blown out of proportion, but I think there's at least a few songs on the new one that are pretty great and I really thought Channel Orange was pretty much as good as the hype.