Jim James needs to cover some Gram Parsons

Started by chunt983, Dec 18, 2004, 07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chunt983

I think Jim and the boys would do a great version of "A song for you" by Gram Parsons. I think there's a lot of other Parsons' songs that Jim would do a good job on, and I heard that Jim sang at the Parsons tribute concert a few months back.

Jellyfish

I would love to hear Jim sing "Hickory Wind". ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

wordawg

Having heard some of the stuff he did at the tribute gig, I think he could probably do justice to any of his songs.  I wouldn't mind hearing an album of Jim covering a full set of Parsons songs.
Actually, I wonder what sort of album we could come up with for him to cover - not just Gram Parsons?

Another thread perhaps?
the future is Ginger

sweatboard

Wasn't it Vh1 that had that show were a band covered a classic album by another band?  That was really cool, I think they got rid of it though.  I saw someone cover the Violent Femmes debut album.

If VH1 brings the show back  I'd like to see MMJ cover Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction.  I think they would have a shit load of fun with that one.
There's Still Time.........

ChiefOKONO

good call on the gram, that would be awesome.

the thought of them covering appetite is pretty funny, i'd love to see it though!!

what up chunt!!!!!!!!

chunt983

Anyone see "grand theft parsons" yet starring johnny knoxville? I bought the dvd and i'm kinda mixed about it. I only watched it one time since I bought it over a month ago, so I think I need to watch it again to give it more thought. They changed some of the events surrounding the death of Gram, I guess to make the film more entertaining?? That I don't get because the true story by itself is very interesting. There really was no need to change anything. but I also heard that what they did change for the movie were just small, insignificant things. Any thoughts???

whatup chief!

Jellyfish

I have not seen the movie but have heard mixed reviews for the reasons you stated.I don't know if I want to see it unless it is all fact based.

I think it's best to learn about Gram from his songs,they say so much more about him than a movie could. ;)  
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

sweatboard

I really liked Grand Theft Parsons, but it's not the kind of movie I would watch several times.  This gives me an Idea for a new thread.
There's Still Time.........

TheMadHatter

MMJ need to do "Devil in Disguise" by the Flying Burrito Brothers.Thats my favorite Parsons...project.Hmmm?
The Mad Hatter,he waits for Alice to come to tea again.

Chills

What about Wild Horses?
Who wrote that one actually, The Stones or Parsons?
I really like both versions.

And speaking of The Stones: No Expectations!
Would be a killer.

whothrewthecake

wild horses would be supreme. i'm fairly certain the stones wrote this song but let gram record it before they did eventually. i love both versions!

Chills

So The Stones wrote it and let Gram record it first?
Wow, that's cool, imagine just getting a song like that.

EC

QuoteSo The Stones wrote it and let Gram record it first?
Wow, that's cool, imagine just getting a song like that.

I think both records were released around the same time, right?  And Mick was really mad about it because Keith just went ahead and said okay without really asking?  

Chills

Gotta love Keith!
But he was probably totally wasted at the time.

whothrewthecake

i found this on the gram parsons.com FAQ. i started freaking out that i had maybe just made something up!  ;) so i did a search.

Did Gram write Wild Horses for the Rolling Stones?

Gram did not write Wild Horses although he was the inspiration for the song. Wild Horses was actually written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger (it is widely held that the song was originally written for Gram to sing, an idea that was refused by the record label). The Rolling Stones did allow Gram to record the song before the Stones themselves had recorded it (a first for the Rolling Stones). Gram did however arrange the version of Honky Tonk Woman that the Stones later called Country Honk and was also the key inspiration for The Stones' "Country-ish" movement following Exile On Main Street.